Garmin 610 Cycling Mode Absurdly High Calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• WSCHEREM
    WSCHEREM Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    WSCHEREM wrote: »
    Well we all agree that it is too high....I will disable the speed cadence sensor to the 610 and see if that changes anything. I will report back.....same ride this Saturday or Sunday

I never get any false readings from my HRM so I cant blame that.

I'm confused. Are you or are you not using the HRM function of the 610?

I am using the Garmin heart rate monitor AND the combination speed/cadence sensor GSC10. The cadence sensor records pedal strokes per minute. The speed sensor, once calibrated automatically by the GPS, vastly improves the accuracy of distance traveled and indicated speed, or so it is claimed. The 610 records all sensors.

Power sensors are about 1900 bucks, and the 610 cannot use them.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Gotcha. I don't have speed or cadence (at least not yet)... HRM alone works really well for me. But as with most things in this realm, cals burned is calculated based on a formula and a set of assumptions/averages. The closer you fall to those assumptions/averages, the closer the calculated cals burned will be for you. If you're far from them, there's only so much you can do.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Well we all agree that it is too high....I will disable the speed cadence sensor to the 610 and see if that changes anything. I will report back.....same ride this Saturday or Sunday

I never get any false readings from my HRM so I cant blame that.

I'm confused. Are you or are you not using the HRM function of the 610?

I am using the Garmin heart rate monitor AND the combination speed/cadence sensor GSC10. The cadence sensor records pedal strokes per minute. The speed sensor, once calibrated automatically by the GPS, vastly improves the accuracy of distance traveled and indicated speed, or so it is claimed. The 610 records all sensors.

Power sensors are about 1900 bucks, and the 610 cannot use them.

Make sure that your weight/height/age are all correct in the app. Some apps like Strava even let you enter the weight of your bike.
  • WSCHEREM
    Options
    OK height weight age are correct. I wish the Garmin site would allow you to plot calories versus time....If I saw a higher burn rate coasting down a long hill at 33 mph than struggling up a hill at 4mph...well that would b a dead give away....
  • claireholden37
    claireholden37 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have used my garmin 610 today on a cycle ride alongside my strava app and for 36 miles the garmin said I burned 1685 cals and my strava says 1053 both of them have my weight, height in its a huge difference
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 200/basic model and today I burned 1568 calories for 80 minutes at a 15.84 Avg. Way too high for me at 6'6.5"/230 lbs. I don't eat back the calories and it doesn't matter.
  • WSCHEREM
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I believe I have solved or improved the problem!

I did 70 miles the same rail trail/ backroad that I have been using...just added some laps to increase total mileage from 60 to 70 and got interesting data

Here is my assertion: IF you are losing weight, and EVEN IF you adjust your profile to be withing 5 lbs of true weight, the First Beat Algorthim will report absurdly high calories.

If you are losing weight, and you do a HARD RESET on your watch (you must re-enter your profile) , the calories will become more realistic. Doing a HARD RESET makes the First Beat Algorithm forget whatever it has learned about you.

The cost of doing a hard reset is that you have to set up your custom pages all over again, and re-enter your profile...it does not seem to mess up Garmin Express.

The reason I make this assertion is that I did a 70 mile ride on the same exact rail trail that I have been using, and only burned 2900 calories compared to last week's 4000 calories and 60 miles. There were absolute no other differences other than a hard reset and profile entry(same as before hard reset) between the two rides.

Thus I conclude the First Beat Algorithm does not work well with people who lose weight, Even If You Update Your Profile regularly.

I plan to use the hard reset after every 5 lbs lost.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    ^^ interesting...