Thick legs

Options
KCJ120
KCJ120 Posts: 18 Member
Hi,
Recently I've been feeling really insecure about how big my legs are. I was wondering what exercises are good to get rid of leg fat?

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You can't really spot reduce, but you can try running and squats and lunges to help tone them. When I started about 18 months ago, my thighs were 27.5 and 26.5 inches and now they are 24.5. Not super impressive (then again, I haven't put forth 100% effort in this time either), but I am able to fit into smaller sizes that I couldn't before because my legs were too big.

Eat at a moderate calorie deficit and keep working each day to do better than you did before and you will get to where you want to be. Good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Calorie deficit.

This
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    People say you can't spot reduce, and I mostly believe that...however, when I started running regularly my legs really slimmed down pretty quickly compared to the rest of me. It could be coincidence, but I always notice this if I haven't run for a while and start again.

However, when I later added sprints that seemed to make them slightly bigger, probably from increased muscle.

But the most important thing is just to eat less than you burn. You will lose the fat eventually, even if not in the order you would prefer.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Agree you need calorie deficit but running has also really helped my legs.
  • kamber13
    kamber13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love my thick legs... though not at first. I agree working them into shape helped me appreciate them more. It's part of your make up... I also have thicker arms, making it hard to wear certain shirts. But again, the more I worked out and the more weight I lose, the more I see my body as beautiful.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Calorie deflect mostly,
    but some of us are just built with bigger lower halves. I gave up trying to slim mine down (because I'd look ridiculous up top by the time they were slim) focusing on muscley legs really helped with the appearance and how I felt about them.

If you've got bigger legs make the most out of them!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I have thick legs. Even when I am at my goal
    Weight my legs are not slim and slender. It's the way I am made, and while I don't love this I've learned to accept it. I do love my legs; they are strong, they are healthy, and they've taken me on some great adventures!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Agree you need calorie deficit but running has also really helped my legs.

Add me to the list of people whose legs slimmed down while running--BUT it could just be that it was their time because my arms were the next place I noticed a significant change.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

This.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    kamber13 wrote: »
    I love my thick legs... though not at first. I agree working them into shape helped me appreciate them more. It's part of your make up... I also have thicker arms, making it hard to wear certain shirts. But again, the more I worked out and the more weight I lose, the more I see my body as beautiful.

Yep. My thick legs are beautiful and I'm sure yours are too.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to love my thick legs... Thy just won't budge! I agree that we just have to stick to a calorie driving and they'll go. I'm running, walking, squatting away over here and the changes have been minor. They may be the last to go!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    cant spot reduce.

mine are very very slowly starting to 'shrink' and its taken 30 some pounds to do so.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

Yep.

There is no magic to it. No special diets or exercises. Maintain a calorie deficit and be patient. You may lose quickly from you legs, you may not. Either way, you just have to be consistent and wait.