Always hungry in the middle of the night

Options
I used to binge a lot. I finally changed my diet. I've been working out 30-45 min a day 6 days a week. I run 2-3 miles at an 11 min pace each mile 3 days a week and I lift weights for 45 min the other 3 days. I eat a small breakfast in the morning, I eat 2 snacks a day which are fruits and I have protein and veggies at night before 7pm. I end up waking around 12 midnight or 2am starving!!! I end up eating more fruit and milk to fill me up. I feel like I'm eating enough calories though. How do I prevent this? I'm trying to lose 11 pounds but it's frustrating because I'm always starving.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    When I first starting eating at a deficit with adding weight lifting along side my cardio, I was waking up with hunger pangs... but I was really thirsty and not hungry.. sounds wierd but food is not what my body wanted.

The last 10 or so pounds is the hardest and takes longer and alot of patience.. If this is your first and only 11 pounds take it from me, do it slow...
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    jainafaith wrote: »
    I used to binge a lot. I finally changed my diet. I've been working out 30-45 min a day 6 days a week. I run 2-3 miles at an 11 min pace each mile 3 days a week and I lift weights for 45 min the other 3 days. I eat a small breakfast in the morning, I eat 2 snacks a day which are fruits and I have protein and veggies at night before 7pm. I end up waking around 12 midnight or 2am starving!!! I end up eating more fruit and milk to fill me up. I feel like I'm eating enough calories though. How do I prevent this? I'm trying to lose 11 pounds but it's frustrating because I'm always starving.

How is your weight loss going? are you loosing at the rate you'd like? I had a look at your diary and although the balance looks good I did notice that most of the weights are round numbers. I do find that the calories difference in '1 banana' compared to weighing a banana can be quite significant. Also, things like green beans 0.75 cup. How do you measure 3/4 of a cup of green beans? You're much better off actually weighing them and entering the weight in grams. It may not be relevant but then it might be.

As for being hungry, I have a cup of cocoa right before bed. I log it in the morning so I never get to the point where I cant fit it in. That keeps me going until breakfast :)

• jainafaith
    jainafaith Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    jainafaith wrote: »

How is your weight loss going? are you loosing at the rate you'd like? I had a look at your diary and although the balance looks good I did notice that most of the weights are round numbers. I do find that the calories difference in '1 banana' compared to weighing a banana can be quite significant. Also, things like green beans 0.75 cup. How do you measure 3/4 of a cup of green beans? You're much better off actually weighing them and entering the weight in grams. It may not be relevant but then it might be.

As for being hungry, I have a cup of cocoa right before bed. I log it in the morning so I never get to the point where I cant fit it in. That keeps me going until breakfast :)

I estimate how much food I'm eating. I was over exercising the first week and lost 5 lbs quick since I would workout twice a day but I limited it down to once and so far lost no weight this week. Kinda frustrating.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and logging everything to be sure your actually eating the allotted calories? If your not meeting your daily calorie goal, it would explain why your very hungry. So make sure your daily calorie goal is reasonable and not too aggressive.
  • cainelfc93
    cainelfc93 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No one wonder you are starving eating that much. If you are tracking calories, macros etc. Just eat more of your calories in the evening. Doesn't matter what time, you are not going to get fat by eating in the evening. Don't believe that myth lol
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I would wake up hungry, too, and I solved that by having a snack before bed - usually greek yogurt. As noted above, eating in the evening will not cause you to get fat - just arrange your calorie intake so you have more fuel to get you through the night.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Add more protein. Also skip some snacks if you want so you can have a larger meal in the evening (play around with timing of meals a little to see if that helps.)