Figuring out calorie goal and macros

Options
Hi guys! I could really use your help in figuring out my calorie goal and macros. About 1.5 years ago, I started lifting to lower by bf% and increase my BMR (which was low according to a RMR test), as I was suddenly gaining weight (in total about 20 lbs) without eating more. I was actually eating less then before (around 1700 calories a day vs. 2100 before). In November 2015, my bodyfat was measured at 30%, even though I do not look like that, so it really shocked me. My RMR was around 1315. I am a 5 ft 9 girl and at that time I weighed 145-147 lbs. In January, I decided to lower my intake to 1500 and my weight finally started going down slowly. Mid-February, I went from two to four workouts a week and my calories were between 1200-1500. Then my weightloss stopped for two months. Mid-april, I suddenly lost 3 lbs in two weeks and have been stuck there. Right now, I am still eating between 1200-1500 calories a day, working out every other day (45-60 mins of heavy lifting followed by 30 mins of interval training on elliptical trainer). On rest days, I ride my bike for at least 30-45 mins. For about a month, I have been working as a waitress for about 16 hours a week. That's when the weight went down fast, so I thought this was due to the increased activity, but it stopped after two weeks, so I guess it was a coincidence. Outside of my work and exercise, I am sedentary. It is difficult for me to determine my calorie goal using websites and calculators, because there is no combination of 3/4x hard workouts with sedentary lifestyle, so I have no idea what my activity level is. Ofcourse my low RMR also means that I cannot really rely on the results, since these are based on people with healthy metabolisms.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do? Does anyone understand what has been going on the last couple of months, because I definitely don't. By the way, the heavy lifting does not seem to increase my muscle mass. Am I doing something wrong? Should start paying more attention to macros instead of just calories? I really hope someone can help me.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well MFP will do that for you.

Put in your stats...weekly weight loss goal and activity level (sedentary) and it spits out the amount of calories you should eat to lose the weekly weight you entered. Then if you do exercise you enter that into MFP and eat some of them back...bam. Done.

As for the heavy lifting adding in muscle you have to be at a surplus for that to happen...I've been lifting for over 2 years and I might have put on 1lb of muscle in the entire time if I was lucky because i've been lifting in a deficit most of the time...the 1lb might have come while I was lifting at maintenance...for 7 months...and 1lb if I am lucky.
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I got tired of the online calculators too. You can do this instead (since your tracking calories anyway).

Add up all the calories you ate for the past two weeks. Now add 3500 to that number for every pound you lost (or subtract 3500 for every pound you gained). Now divide the total 14 (two weeks). This is your TDEE based on how much you ate and your recent activity levels.

If you want to loose 1 pound a week, subtract 500 calories from your TDEE and you have your daily food goal.

I have a "running TDEE" in my spreadsheet where I copy all of the myfitnesspal totals at the end of the day. Every night I have a new and slightly tweaked TDEE which I use to calculate my calorie goals for the next day.

The thing that surprised me when I started using this method was how close the online calculators were. For example, my (locally calculated) TDEE for today is 3733 calories. Scobby's TDEE calculator says it should be 3691 calories for someone with my activity level/age/height/weight to maintain my current weight. When I take a break and get lazy around for a week, my TDEE will drop a bit (expected) and when the weather is nice and I spend a lot of time walking around every day it shoots back up (again, expected).

It takes a bit more work (or a handy spreadsheet) to recalculate your numbers frequently like this, but I like that I always know exactly what my targets should be for food consumption with my current activity level and lifestyle. Hope that helps with the first part of your post.

As for the second part of your post. Track calories for weight loss (or gain). Track macros for performance/health/fitness. If you want more muscle, eat at a surplus and continue to lift.