Beginner lifting quipment

Options
Hi everyone,

I want to start doing a 5 x 5 lifting routine. I'm super intimidated by the weight area at the gym so I'd like to do the first few weeks by myself at home so I know what I'm doing first. Toward this end, I want to buy a barbell to use for the first few weeks. Do I need an Olympic barbell, or is any barbell okay? I know theres a weight difference but that aside, will it make it difficult for me to adjust later at the gym with the full sized barbell?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    any barbell is fine. You just need to make sure you know how much it weighs to add that to the plate weight to ensure you have to the total weight.

I lift at home and use regular bars/weights.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It would be a good idea to get a power rack for safety reasons. Rogue fitness, sorinex, Body solid, and legend are good brands.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started doing strong lifts 5x5 at home recently. We have a bench with squat rack, a bar (not Olympic), and 120lbs worth of weights.
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    the only real benefit of a Olympic bar over a standard bar, is the strength of the bars. If you are going to be lifting at home and you are really pushing yourself then an Olympic bar and plates will allow almost limitless progression. but if your not dead lifting or squatting 300lbs+ a standard bar should be fine.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    what is the purpose of buying a barbell for at home, and then going to the gym? if your trying to just get the form and moves, you can do that with a broomstick or length of pvc. Barbells are expensive! A barbell on its own isn't gonna really gonna help you anyways if you don't have a power rack to use it with. You wont be able to squat or bench. Just practice the lifts with a broomstick across your back and get your form, and then go to the gym and use their equipment.
  • ummyasminah
    ummyasminah Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sonya, that makes a lot of sense. I'll try that - thanks for the advice!
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Olympic bar, bench, and a rack. Enjoy the space and keep building! Id love to have an at home gym but city living kills that.