Eating plan/exercise schedule help

Options
Serve_the_servants
Serve_the_servants Posts: 10 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Just to give you a bit of backdrop information. Several years ago I put on a load of weight from excess eating and drinking. I went up to 20 stone (6 ft 3 in height). It was starting to make me extremely depressed so I did lots of research (and ignored quite a lot of it) and basically decided to starve myself as much as I could, and also do as much cardio as I could manage, with three full body weight routines per week too. I found though that I really wasn’t losing much weight. I was having absolutely HUGE calorie deficits, eating just about 1200-1500 calories per day (sometimes just 1000 and I was 20 stone!) and walking/jogging as much as possible. I was feeling AWFUL and constantly felt like I was about to pass out, getting terrible headaches. I felt so fat and repulsive though that I pushed myself through it. From looking online I decided I must be in starvation mode. I know that is quite a contentious topic but either that or my metabolism had essentially ground to a halt. They both amount to the same thing.

I started cycling carbs/calories and this really kick started things, the weight started flying off. I also was able to get my fitness up. At first when I was 20 stone I could only jog for 4 minutes before I needed to slow down and walk. I think when I was right at the start I would go on a treadmill for 20 minutes, doing 4 minutes of jogging intervals with 1 minute of walking. Now I go for 10 mile runs. I hit some plateaus and sometimes had to change things a bit. One thing I have always consistently found though is I cannot just have the same net calories per day, this just leads to my metabolism grinding to a halt. Having too large a calorie deficit over a consistent time doesn’t work either. I have found sometimes I lose weight when I eat more, rather than less calories.

I lost 6 stone in total, though 1 was due to me being ill in hospital for 2 weeks and not eating. Even at 14 stone I wasn’t content with my weight, though in retrospect it was my BF percentage I was not happy with as I still looked chubby. I ended up putting 1 stone back on after I recovered. Then over the next year I put on about another stone and a half. So I found myself back up to about 16.5 stone and getting a bit nervous, though not looking too fat and still regularly exercising. I went back to the drawing board and started eating cleaner. Although I was still tracking everything, I ate less fatty foods and also completely stopped drinking alcohol. I have lost almost a stone of this, so I currently weigh just over 15.5 stone. I decided to eat 2500 calories Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (though I often marginally reduce the calories as the week progresses, sometimes eating a bit more than 2500 on Mondays and Tuesdays). Then Thursday 2000 calories. The exercise I do is quite changeable at the moment. I used to run about 25 miles or so a week and do weights too. I have bulging discs in my back though so stopped doing weights a while ago. I would say on a typical week I would probably aim to do a 5K on a Monday, about 4 miles on Tuesday, day off on Wed, then 8 or 9 miles on Thursday, then maybe do another 5 mile run on the weekend. So possibly about 20-25 miles. I find my weight loss happens between the Thursday and Friday – I drop from 2500-2000 calories and do a long run, so I have a huge deficit. The sudden drop seems to spike my metabolism.

I have been at this game a long time so everything is pretty meticulously calculated. Absolutely everything is accounted for. The only thing I ‘eye ball’ is the splash of skimmed milk I have in a cup of tea, which is unusually just one a night. All food is straight out of packet and/or weighed. I don’t eat anything if the macronutrient contents are not on the packet/label. Even sauces or anything like that I will put on a spoon and weigh.

I should also add that I have read endless guides and all the stickies on BB, tried everything etc. Often what I have found works for me is different to what the experts recommend. I think the reason I have made this topic is to see if anyone has had similar experiences to me and if there is anything anyone would recommend. Particularly anyone who regularly runs – I would like to try something new to see if it can speed up my weight loss. So any calorie plans and running schedules. Although I have lost quite a lot of weight, I’ve been using MyFitnessPal for 30 months now so feel I am failing since I am still overweight and nowhere near the shape I want. Though unless I can start doing weights again I have to be realistic as to what those goals are – I should certainly be able to be slim and athletic though with minimal fat.

I should also add that part of my problem is on Fridays and Saturdays I do not track what I have. I often gain 3 or 4 pounds at the weekend but without these 2 enjoyable days I would not be able to be so disciplined the other 5 days. I usually lose this weight quite quickly though.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I should also add that I have read endless guides and all the stickies on BB, tried everything etc. Often what I have found works for me is different to what the experts recommend. I think the reason I have made this topic is to see if anyone has had similar experiences to me and if there is anything anyone would recommend. Particularly anyone who regularly runs – I would like to try something new to see if it can speed up my weight loss. So any calorie plans and running schedules. Although I have lost quite a lot of weight, I’ve been using MyFitnessPal for 30 months now so feel I am failing since I am still overweight and nowhere near the shape I want. Though unless I can start doing weights again I have to be realistic as to what those goals are – I should certainly be able to be slim and athletic though with minimal fat.

I should also add that part of my problem is on Fridays and Saturdays I do not track what I have. I often gain 3 or 4 pounds at the weekend but without these 2 enjoyable days I would not be able to be so disciplined the other 5 days. I usually lose this weight quite quickly though.
    Good job on your weight loss! :) If you want to lose more weight, you need to eat less food than you are eating now. Are you using a food scale to measure food accurately?
    Seriously rethink tracking/ not tracking on Fridays and Saturdays. It is fine to go over those two days but at least put the calories into the diary so you have the information to analyze.
    Pop over to the Fitness and Exercise forum for questions about running and other work out possibilities. B)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/fitness-and-exercise
    Notice that you will get more responses / more specifically helpful responses when you write shorter posts.
  • Serve_the_servants
    Serve_the_servants Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I don't necessarily agree that simply eating less would make me lose more weight. When I was at a huge deficit I was not losing weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try eating a LITTLE less. Like a 100 calorie a day difference. I don't think I can give you any advice food-wise. I think you have that going on.

For exercise, are you doing cardio every other day? I found the recovery days to be just as important. You can still lift on non-running days.