sciatica

Options
Anyone suffer from sciatica ?? If so what exercise do u find helps ease it xx

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    What is the root cause of your sciatica? Sciatica is a symptom. The "fix" depends on what is causing it.
  • lucindajonesmfp
    lucindajonesmfp Posts: 21 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's a herniated disc L5 S1 region...I don't know what that means lol....its pressing on the sciatic nerve...I'm attending physio for this and have been given exercises to do...just wondered if anyone has any other suggestions
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Stick with what your physio recommends. Going outside of that could cause you serious problems. If you want to do more, ask them.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    It means you have a slipped disc (a part of your back is out of place, in in part is sticking out where it should not) at the lumbar region of your back, which is lower back, probably the first disc of that section of your spine. at5i3hex77uq.jpg
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/herniated-disk/basics/definition/con-20029957
    When I was pregnant with my little girl I was in hospital for almost a month because of sciatica. The weight shifted my pelvis bone. On my God did it hurt!! Last night when I was getting up from the couch I had that familiar pain the right hand side of my pelvis. This morning I felt it on the left hand side, so unable to workout :/:'(
    I think you should do the exercises the physio gave you to do but make sure you don't over stress your back too much, stop if you having pain. Wish you the best of luck. Add me if you like. Would love to hear how you are doing.
  • lucindajonesmfp
    Options
    Yeah I know that's the most sensible thing to do....I just hate being restricted with my usual exercise....im too impatient lol
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Trust me if you do your normal exercises and overdo, you won't like yourself. I'm supposed to go have an stay on my back because most nights, while I was heavier, I would wake up with pain like I'd never felt before. Some days I have it and some days I don't. I'm waiting till I go home to Ireland in the next month or so, and go to my GP to get a referral to the local hospital. I'm living in Nigeria and the hospitals and doctors are great, its just I want to go to my own GP that's known me a very long time. I'm sure you understand!
    The exercises the physio gave you are probably to strengthen the muscles in your back. Once they are strengthened you may be able to go do your normal exercises.
  • lucindajonesmfp
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yeah I hope to get back to normal soon...my doc and physio are great...its just a horrendous pain and so debilitating...I'm sticking to all the exercise that the physio gave me and I do feel an improvement as it's not waking me through the night now I think it's harder to handle when ur not getting a decent sleep...The funny thing is when I was heavy I never suffered from health problems and now iv lost my weight and changed my life I end up like this lol....typical eh....Thanks for the helpful advice
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had surgery in November because the nerve was pinched so bad my Nuerosurgeon that I would have "drop foot" the pain is awful. My doc recommended core exercises and walking. I am about 90% now and back at the gym training hard again. It can get better.
  • lucindajonesmfp
    Options
    Thank u..thankfully my reflexes are fine but did suffer from the pins and needles in my foot but that is slowly easing too....but the pain is awful...is had never felt pain like it and was actually scared at first... now I know what I'm dealing with and have decent meds and a good physio it's getting better...I'm glad to hear ur on the mend...Thank u...its encouraging to hear your story
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Annoying doesn't cover it!!!
    I have had numbness down both legs for 2 months that comes and goes. I see a therapist and do all my exercises. I'm seeing my back doctor Thursday. I smell MRI in my future. I still have managed to workout 6days a week. I find water aerobics is best and walking. Good luck!!!
  • lucindajonesmfp
    Options
    I have been swimming also and find that helps too..Thank u...hope ur feeling better soon
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Swimming, very gentle stretching (cat stretches), walking. I feel for you, wouldnt inflict this on my worse enemy.
  • lucindajonesmfp
    Options
    Yeah its such an awful pain to deal with...but ill get there....Thanks
  • HoundstoothMFP
    HoundstoothMFP Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Suffered from sciatic pain for years with no relief. No disc problems, the nerve was impinged all that time, spine doc said arthritis. Tried some foam rolling and then out of the blue mine improved. Your situation is different obviously but props to you for doing ANY exercise I could barely move. Good luck!!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I do. One session of therapy, however, has me very close to 100% pain free. I just make sure not to miss my core exercises and to follow the other general rules that my therapist gave me. I'm back to doing everything I love.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I dealt with sciatica pain a few months ago. Icing my lower back after running (dr's suggestion) really seemed to help. Thankfully whatever was causing it has magically gone away. I wish the same for you!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Trust your pt
  • lucindajonesmfp
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice