Low Levels of Potassium

Options
I have been using MFP for 2 wks and have noticed that I never achieve the daily potassium levels. Any suggestions?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Not every food has potassium listed on the package info. It's not required in the US and Canada. You're probably getting enough, but you can't see the numbers.
  • ledonnelly75
    ledonnelly75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Interesting...thanks
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you're logging a whole food like a fruit, veggie, or meat you can add "USDA" to your search. Those entries usually include potassium.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Google High potassium foods, some are potatoes, tomatoes, avacados, bananas... Plus lots more.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Have you had your electrolytes tested? Are you low in potassium?
  • ledonnelly75
    ledonnelly75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - I appreciate the feedback!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    As others have said, don't look to MFP for potassium tracking. Potassium is found in so many foods - grains, vegetables, fruits, meats, fish - that it's unlikely that you'd become deficient if you eat a variety of foods and have no medical problems. Also, if you have regular health checkups, potassium deficiency would show up on routine blood work.
  • manukahoneybadger
    manukahoneybadger Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just discovered coconut water is v good for potassium
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Bananas
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My doctor tests me for it since I am on a diuretic. Speak to your doctor, if you are low, he can prescribe potassium for you, and it will be cheaper then OTC.
  • 93gemmac
    93gemmac Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a balanced diet, I wouldn't worry to be honest. If you start to get symptoms of low potassium such as tingling/pins and needles in your hands and feet, muscle cramping, weakness etc, go get checked out by the doc but really very few people get deficient in potassium without there being another cause (usually due to diarrhea, vomiting, diuretic use etc)