Brand new here, anyone else have this problem?

Options
angieprimo
angieprimo Posts: 5 Member
OK SO Im brand new here and I need some help/advise. I am the mom of 2 boys and Im married. So the 3 boys in the house are always trying to "gain" weight. My problem is Im trying to lose weight. HOW?! They want starch and protein but Id rather not eat than eat like that at this point. Its been going on for 15 years my husband and I have been together and he cant seem to gain more than 5 or 10 lbs, where I cant seem to lose more than 2 lbs. Is there anyone else out there with this problem? And how did/do you work though it? Im dying over here. He wants "hearty" meals, where Im happy with a piece of grilled chicken.

Thanks!

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You dont have to eat special food to lose weight....You can still eat what they eat, just smaller protions...Add more protein and veggies to your plate, and less pasta....If you make veggies or something with rich sauces, take yours out before you add the sauce....
    I ate a steak, some corn, veggies, and a baked potato yesterday.....Same as my husband and my daughter's 6'4 stringbean boyfriend.....Just smaller portions...
  • angieprimo
    angieprimo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pasta is a big thing in our house. He will make a meat and rice/pasta. So I guess Ill just eat the meat part and leave the rest off <sigh>
  • meggrose1985
    meggrose1985 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We just eat separate meals. It works a little bit easier, because I work late shifts, so my meal times are different, but when we're home together, I cook a meat (usually venison, which is lower cal than chicken!), chicken or fish, a vegetable, then split a pan of roasted sweet and regular potatoes. The real trick is to then portion control within the foods you've made. You're eating almost the same meal, just different amounts. Whereas my husband will literally heap his plate full twice, I have about 3oz of venison, 1c sweet potatoes and 3-4tbsp of veggies.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Pasta is not evil....I eat it at least once a week...... Portion control....And you can steam frozen veggies in the microwave within a few minutes.....
  • MariLcs
    MariLcs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree portion control is very important if you don't want to fix something different for yourself. I do make something different for myself for at least part of the meal a lot. I always have cooked chicken breasts on hand as well as lettuce and veggies and it takes very little time to put something together. Good luck!
  • Cronniss
    Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I do all the cooking in our house - we have 3 adults and 2 kids (one of them a teenager). The two kids and one of the adults never pack on the weight, so I know exactly how you feel.

And, there is A LOT of pasta eaten in this house. As it's been said, it's just a matter of portioning out what you're going to eat from what you make. You can still eat what they eat, just not in the same amounts or portions.

89019335.png
    (Quote from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.)