Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Vacation planning sucks

MrM27
MrM27 Posts: 18,355 Member
We are looking to go away a week in August. All inclusive, adults only. Not Mexico since we went there 2 years in a row. We can't find anything good without paying a ridiculous amount for 1 week.

Where should we go? Where would you go? I'm getting the evil eye because she's beginning to think we won't find anything.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,013 Member
    Thailand!!! We went there a couple years back, gorgeous hotels, beaches and people and really affordable.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    How about a cruise?
  • zipppee
    zipppee Posts: 223 Member
    syria

Catania
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Lebanon
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Costa Rica
    Maui
    USVI
    Ocean City
    Myrtle Beach
    Hilton Head
    Yellowstone
    San Fran
    Charleston

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,153 Member
    What are you thinking? Beach? Mountains? Galleries? What is your budget limit?
  • BigLifter10
    MrM27 wrote: »
    man i don't hate you dont be a child

Okay. You have convinced me. I'm off to Syria. Good thing I have 3 life insurance policies.

Too bad there isn't anyone who would honor them here when you voluntarily go there. :#
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    They have really nice couples cruises I promise you won't be bored with just the two of you. There's so much to do, you'll be plenty entertained.
    I also like virgin islands or Bahamas. Bahamas has beautiful resorts that have luxury amenities. You won't be disappointed either way but I do like cruises. It's simple easy, no stress and very affordable. I opt for all inclusive though, it's just easier.
  • BigLifter10
    Costa Rica
    Maui
    USVI
    Ocean City
    Myrtle Beach
    Hilton Head
    Yellowstone
    San Fran
    Charleston

Costa Rica is my number 1 choice but I can't see us spending what we would have to in order to stay at the resort I want to stay at.

Maui, not enough time, expensive, I really have no interest in going there.

We want to vacation outside of the US.

What are you thinking? Beach? Mountains? Galleries? What is your budget limit?

Beach. She wants to go to DR but I don't care to go there. We are trying to find something there but we don't see anything we want. In Punta Cana I only see the Excellence that caught my eye. And outside of that I would chose to go to Samana, DR but I don't know if it's worth paying that much.

We are doing 6 days, 5 nights. 3500 budget not including any money I take with me. The last 2 years we went to all inclusives but we still managed to spend 1000 each time so I'm probably budgeting the same.

Not to get picky, but I'm guessing that is airfare included in that budget? If so....are you flying from a major hub or points that would be more cost-effective? Example - I can fly to St. Thomas from Minneapolis for $600, but to Cancun for $350. I've driven to Chicago a couple of times to leave from O'Hare and left my car at a hotel near the airport (shuttled there). Saved $400 per person on airfare. Don't mean to pick it apart, but it can make a big difference in where you spend your $$. I have a couple of thoughts in mind, but they would not make sense if you are flying from the middle of nowhere, but would if you were leaving from Vegas or La Guardia, for instance.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    What about Puerto Rico? I'm planning on going there next winter for about 10 days.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,013 Member
    Jamaica?
  • thegrimmycrew
    thegrimmycrew Posts: 46 Member
    Puerto Rico...visit Vieques and Culebra...lil islands on the east coast..killer exclusive resorts..white beaches..crystal clear water..tour around on a Vespa... enjoy the sunset with a mojito. One of my fav quick getaway places!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Belize
  • BigLifter10
    Ok, one of the places I've been was to the Westin St. Maarten. I did a very quick glance at the prices based on a week's stay. $1,516.51* per person
    includes Gov't Taxes & Fees of $129.51 per person

Air, Hotel & Transfers $2774.00*
    Gov't Taxes and Fees $259.02*

Total: 2 Vacationer(s) $3033.02

That was using August 22 thru 29. Going with Apple Vacations.

There is also Riu Palace (all-inclusive) Also thru Apple.

$1,600.51* per person
    includes Gov't Taxes & Fees of $129.51 per person

Air, Hotel & Transfers $2942.00*
    Gov't Taxes and Fees $259.02*

Total: 2 Vacationer(s) $3201.02*

There is also Cozumel (yes, it's Mexico, but totally different feel) You can stay down by the Palancar Reef or on the Northern area where the water is crystal clear and no tell-tale reef up there. If you are interested, I can give you two of the places I've been there.

You should find decent deals for August, since that is ramping up for hurricane season.

• BigLifter10
    To Add - the nice thing about St. Maarten, is if you wanted to do any day trips off the island, there are places to visit (like Saba and Statia). Worth a look when there. A lot of places will even add on a meal option if you request it.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,532 Member
    Turks and Caicos? Beautiful!
    Costa Rica is awesome (and so is Maui-trust me, it's worth it!).
    Cayman's.

I also love cruises. There's a great cruise out of Puerto Rico that does southern Caribbean so not many sea days, different interesting ports and but for alcohol and shore excursions, cruises can be pretty inexpensive.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    I forgot to add, I love turks and caicos . We went years ago but I do really like it there. We stayed at a beaches resort so it was not expensive at all. But it was still very nice. They had a good spa with a full gym and massages . The beach was lovely. (I live at the Jersey shore.the beach there was way different. Lol )
  • BigLifter10
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I forgot to add, I love turks and caicos . We went years ago but I do really like it there. We stayed at a beaches resort so it was not expensive at all. But it was still very nice. They had a good spa with a full gym and massages . The beach was lovely. (I live at the Jersey shore.the beach there was way different. Lol )

Looove Turks & Caicos! Beautiful water! Yeah, not Jersey!! lol!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited May 2015
    Not Mexico since we went there 2 years in a row.

You do know that Mexico is a huge place, with hundreds of awesome, vastly different (and CHEAP!) vacation choices other than like Rocky Point or Cancun, right?

Source: Lived in Mexico for seven years. I've been around. ;)
  • BigLifter10
    I just sent you a message regarding the search...it's still available on there if interested.