How Much Did You Lose Before Anyone Noticed?

Options
2»

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I weighed close to 300 pounds and had to lose 40-some pounds before anyone seemed to notice. Once I bought some clothes that fit better (the old ones were way baggy) a lot more people started noticing the weight loss. My co-worker now tells me every time I wear an outfit whether I should keep it or give it away because it is too big!
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    cblue315 wrote: »
    I just have to comment from the other side. I am reluctant to comment when someone I know has lost weight. Last year when I commented to a sales rep about his weight loss. His reply set me back - I have cancer and will probably die within a year. Since then I am more than hesitant to say anything.

I made the same comment to someone with thyroid cancer. She said she was not trying to lose weight and would rather be fat then constantly and still losing 10pounds a week that her body desperately needed.
    So I am a little hesitate to say something nowadays. I try to pick up on cues to see if the people is happy about it or not. :/
  • IndigoSpider
    IndigoSpider Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    I just have to comment from the other side. I am reluctant to comment when someone I know has lost weight. Last year when I commented to a sales rep about his weight loss. His reply set me back - I have cancer and will probably die within a year. Since then I am more than hesitant to say anything.

I made the same comment to someone with thyroid cancer. She said she was not trying to lose weight and would rather be fat then constantly and still losing 10pounds a week that her body desperately needed.
    So I am a little hesitate to say something nowadays. I try to pick up on cues to see if the people is happy about it or not. :/

I can understand not saying anything to someone you don't know well. In my case, the post was prompted by a visit with my nieces for birthday/graduation celebrations. I wore a new outfit so I know it wasn't a baggy clothes kinda thing, actually dropped a size already, and I haven't seen them since Christmas. They know it isn't due to any illness.

But, after reading all the responses, yeah, I can see that it is most likely just because I have so much to lose (still about 140 to go) that others aren't noticing. I notice big changes but I probably need to adjust my expectations what others will notice. Plus, in the bigger picture, it really is for me and my health so doesn't matter what others think. Honestly, just felt a little deflated cause I was expecting comments :p

Thanks everyone for the replies and congrats on your own losses!!
  • IndigoSpider
    Options
    Virtually all of it. 75lbs. I spent a good portion of my weight loss on crutches recovering from knee surgery. A few people asked if I lost the weight because of the surgery. I think if people could lose 75lbs due to knee surgery, everyone would do it whether they needed to or not.

Knee issues run in our family. My mother had to have both knees replaced, my oldest brother has one replaced and about to have the other done, my other brother had surgery but no replacement yet. I am starting to have pain in my left knee, ugh, and I'm only 46. I figure it is inevitable but I'd like to push it off as long as possible, hence another reason to get this weight off! Not only to help the knee now, but if I ever do need surgery, can not imagine lugging so much weight on crutches!

And if it really did lead to 75lbs or more loss, still not sure something I'd do :p I'm working hard to lose it without surgery of any kind since all surgeries have complications. Hope your knee is better now!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I can understand not saying anything to someone you don't know well. In my case, the post was prompted by a visit with my nieces for birthday/graduation celebrations. I wore a new outfit so I know it wasn't a baggy clothes kinda thing, actually dropped a size already, and I haven't seen them since Christmas. They know it isn't due to any illness.

But, after reading all the responses, yeah, I can see that it is most likely just because I have so much to lose (still about 140 to go) that others aren't noticing. I notice big changes but I probably need to adjust my expectations what others will notice. Plus, in the bigger picture, it really is for me and my health so doesn't matter what others think. Honestly, just felt a little deflated cause I was expecting comments :p

Don't be shy :bigsmile: "HEY GUYS, notice anything different about me? No? Notice how fit I'm looking? Yes? Funny you should say that, I've lost XX lbs! Thanks for noticing, you're the best family ever!"
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress to date! Losing weight is such hard work, that I do think we really want others to comment as that is very encouraging to us. I do agree with others in that I think that it depends on how often others see you as to how soon they will notice a change. If they see you daily it isn't as obvious to them, but if say you haven't seen them for a month or so, it can be dramatic when they do see you.

Some people are just in their own world and so focused on the day to day tasks that they don't really see changes in others around them. My husband and my daughters are my best encouragement right now. I haven't told anyone at work that I am losing weight as I am a supervisor and just don't want to share this with people that I supervise. I have lost 8.5 lbs so far, and once it is more noticeable and if people comment, I will tell them what I am doing and just say I am trying to be more healthy these days.
  • lian27chime
    lian27chime Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Azuraen wrote: »
    I had someone from my work say that I looked like I was losing weight 1 day after I started exercising... and she didn't know that was my plan.... lol. I just told her she was crazy. Other than that 17 pounds down now and no one has really notived yet.

Lol, you made me laugh
  • IndigoSpider
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Don't be shy :bigsmile: "HEY GUYS, notice anything different about me? No? Notice how fit I'm looking? Yes? Funny you should say that, I've lost XX lbs! Thanks for noticing, you're the best family ever!"

Hahaha! I will definitely do this next time I see them if they are still oblivious!
  • IndigoSpider
    Options
    Azuraen wrote: »
    I had someone from my work say that I looked like I was losing weight 1 day after I started exercising... and she didn't know that was my plan.... lol. I just told her she was crazy. Other than that 17 pounds down now and no one has really notived yet.

Maybe she's psychic? Ask her for winning lottery numbers ;) Congrats on your loss!
  • Hulbert0089
    Hulbert0089 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think people notice around 10% weight loss for sure but often are not comfortable saying anything for many reasons.
  • ashleyturner426
    ashleyturner426 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the loss! I agree with what a lot of folks have said, 25 to 30 pounds is my "noticeable" number I guess. That's with any swelling and water weight gone when the actual loss starts to become evident in my face and body
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 15 lbs. and no one has noticed.
  • slbale
    slbale Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am down 16.3 lbs, it seems I've lost it in my butt and legs... I see no difference, but I've gone down 2 pant sizes. My husband and kids see it, but that's about it. I feel SO much better since starting MFP and exercising!! And this time I am doing this for me and my health!!
    Congratulations on your weight loss! Keep up the good work!
  • teahlee123
    teahlee123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It took about 20 pounds for me before anyone commented on it.
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It was about 30lbs for me. But I will say taking pictures every 10lbs or so for myself has helped me see a difference a lot more than without!
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Based on what you ask are saying I'm not expecting anyone to notice my weight loss until I lose 30-50lbs. I've loss 15 this far. Even though I am 5'2" it's not really noticeable yet.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I probably lost 40 lb before anyone noticed, but I was 150 lb. too heavy. It really depends on the starting weight and the amount needed to lose, but it seems that most people begin to get comments around the 10% of starting weight range.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I went from 167 to 147 since January and no one has noticed. I'm 5'11. You do this for you, not others.
  • IndigoSpider
    Options
    I hit 40.2 lbs lost and someone noticed for the first time today. So, seems like if you have a lot to lose then around 40 lbs is the noticing point. For those with less to lose, then around 10-20 lbs is the noticing point. Interesting, thanks for all the replies and congrats to all on your losses!
  • bwp180
    bwp180 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have been updating facebook and have been very public in my weight loss journey - and I absolutely believe it is one of the reasons I have had success this time. (Down 38...another 40+ to go) why? I think posting on FB to my friends, family and coworkers keeps me accountable - I mean these people see me in the market, work with me, share holidays with me etc. so I post maybe every 10lb and I get like 150 likes and comments galore of congrats etc. people say - what r u doing? I'm inspiring people to lose apparently. So how can I quit? How can i stop? I'm at the baseball field the other night and a mom tells me she will set me up with a weight lifting regime to help - I mean it's awesome. However...to everyone else who doesn't know I'm dieting...not a word. Lol. So what. I don't care. I think I'm looking pretty good and I am positive you do too. :)