Raw Or Cooked

Options
Hi everyone just starting out just got a quick question when you weigh your food out like meats and veg is this cooked weight or raw before cooking. As this could make a big difference. Thanks for the help

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I weigh all of my meats raw. How they are cooked and for how long causes too many variables in the weight so it's just easiest and more accurate to weigh it raw.

However you decide to weigh it (raw or cooked) just make sure to choose the correct entry for the item.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Just use the correct nutritional information for the state you are weighing it in. IF your entry does not designate raw or cooked then it's clearly not a proper entry.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Raw is more accurate; use the USDA entries for the raw item.

Cooked will lose some water so it will weigh less.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Raw is more accurate; use the USDA entries for the raw item.

Cooked will lose some water so it will weigh less.

^This
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my veg raw except for spaghetti squash, and make sure I use the correct entries for them. Since spaghetti squash is cooked in the rind and how much I can scrape out always varies, I always weigh the yield.
  • latkeen
    latkeen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey, I know this tread is outdated, but I don't want to start a new one. Just a small question: so the calorie-info that is on my box of rice (per 100 gram) is of 100 gram of raw, uncooked rice? So not of 100 grams of cooked rice? I think it is.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I always use raw
  • louise3uk
    louise3uk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If raw is more calories I use that. Better be overestimating than under. Easier to weigh raw too as you can put the pan on the scales and shove everything in!
  • cainelfc93
    cainelfc93 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Chicken etc is weighed cooked weight
  • d1664256
    d1664256 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference as long as you use the right info to count it. I always weigh cooked because that's what is actually going into my body, no variables.
  • Azrrt
    Azrrt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started using a scale and measured cooked chicken. Looks like I may have to change that.
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    latkeen wrote: »
    Hey, I know this tread is outdated, but I don't want to start a new one. Just a small question: so the calorie-info that is on my box of rice (per 100 gram) is of 100 gram of raw, uncooked rice? So not of 100 grams of cooked rice? I think it is.

It's 100g of raw rice :)
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    latkeen wrote: »

A lot of foods like rice or pasta will list on the nutrition label if it is cooked or raw. For Uncle Ben's white rice, it says
    1/4 cup dry (48g)
    (About 1 cup cooked)