Falling off the wagon

Options
Before I went on holiday I was eating great, going to gym classes and had essentially put myself in a strict but effective routine that was working! I returned from holiday a week ago and have had no motivation to go to the gym or eat right. I've become very complacent and as a result I have gained a couple kilos. Does anyone have some good advice for what to do when you fall off the wagon?

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Have a look at your own profile page and remind yourself how far you've come thanks to deciding to start and sticking with it. You don't want to go back to square one, right? Get back on track Christine. Add more friends here so that you have people to share with and hopefully some of them will challenge you when you need it, and all will cheer you as you progress.

You've already proven you can do this; don't use a short setback to convince yourself otherwise.

Mike
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up for getting off it, just get back on it. Whatever motivated you before let it motivate you again. Also writing about how you feel or felt all that weight ago and realistically looking at it, then comparing it to how you feel when you are on track.
  • BrickiLee
    BrickiLee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I go back to work tomorrow after a week vacation. To say the least, my diet wasn't the best it could be, and I'm getting over a back strain so I did not workout at all. So I was definitely having similar sentiments.

But just as mwyvr mentioned, focus on how far you've come! Gaining a few on vacation is not a big deal at all compared to how far you've come. Keep your eye on the big picture!

I just got done viewing my "fitspiration" photo album on my phone. I keep a lot of old and new pictures so I can create comparison pictures. When I feel unmotivated, I literally have to see my progress.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It isn't all or nothing. You enjoyed your vacation! Good. Now ease back into your regular routine. :).
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Just because you fell off doesn't been you can't pick yourself up again, dust yourself off and get back on the path. Everyone slips up, if they say the don't they are full of crap
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Get straight back on it! So you have a couple of kilos to lose to get back to where you were, but the longer you leave it, the more that will be!
    Was your routine too strict before making it difficult to get back to? maybe try a less aggressive regime that will give slower loss but is more sustainable? Remember this is a lifetime change, not a quick fix.
    Good luck!
  • JonathanP1962
    JonathanP1962 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Holidays are the worst, they should be banned imo (joking). I so understand your motivation problems. I am exactly the same. My best advice is ease back in, do something you really enjoy and then build back up over 2 or 3 weeks to where you want to be. Often the first step is the hardest.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    There is no wagon. If there was, the distance is about 9 inches. You didn't gain a couple of kilos in the last week - it's water. Just (and I use this word lightly) just get up, eat some breakfast, log your food and keep going.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Understand why you started in the first place and decide if those same reasons still apply. If you cant just jump back in then phase it in with small steps. Leave the past behind, dont beat up, dont stress and small steps such as logging or going for a walk are good starts.
  • christinecoffeebean
    christinecoffeebean Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!