Chia Seeds

Options
What's good about them? How do you use them? I saw a bag of them for sale for about 90 cents, so I bought them, remembering that people used them in smoothies and such, but what benefits do they actually provide used that way? I am looking online for information, too, but would like to hear from people here as well. Thanks for any information you can give me!

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I use them in my oatmeal for a fiber boost
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You can make a kind of pudding in the fridge (45 mins) with them using any milk and some fruit or honey. When they are wet, they become gel-like. Some people use them as egg substitutes.
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    ChipChocolatePancake Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    They're supposed to be full of antioxidants or something, but the main reason I tried them out is that they make you feel more full because they expand in reaction to water, kind of like rice. I sometimes make overnight oats with them, but I didn't find them impressive enough to use on a regular basis.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure of their benefits. I too, saw a bag on sale and decided to try them. I put 10g coconut, 10g chia seeds, 10g dried cranberries and 100ml skim milk in a jar and stirred a couple of times. I left it overnight in the frig and ate it the next morning. It was very good and I plan on using it for snacks. The calories were about 180, and sometimes I just eat half. It's too soon to see what--if any benefits they have. I will be following this thread to see if anyone has other information. B)
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The pudding idea sounds yummy. I'll try it with some almond milk and blueberries...
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Here's a link that describes some of the best benefits to chia seeds: medicalnewstoday.com/articles/291334.php

I love chia seeds and eat them in my Greek yogurt everyday for lunch and sometime as a snack as well.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I like the idea of a pudding. I'm starting work at a fast food restaurant and will need a way to avoid "too much" fast food in my diet and not regain the 63 pounds I've l:ost so far. I know that I can occasionally have a cheeseburger and salad and a diet drink, but I'd like to have portable alternatives that won't spoil between arriving at work and my break if I need to leave them in my car. I've tried kefir/protein powder shakes and am working on a way to make them more palatable to me and I will take protein bars, too. I have Type II diabetes and need to avoid too many carbs, so they seem to fit the bill. I honestly don't care much about antioxidant claims or any other faddish stuff--I'm grateful to be getting real information.

Anyone else? I'd love to see other factual/helpful posts!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Try them. They're not my cup of tea, for the calories, honestly..
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I had constipation issues until I started adding a spoonful in my protein shake or yoghurt in the morning. Now I'm a happy (regular) camper!
  • aalbert_82
    aalbert_82 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I eat them for regularity as well. Works great! Also they are high in omega 3's
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm not all that worried about regularity, since I seem to do okay in that department, but it's nice to know they help in that regard. Other than the pudding and using them in smoothies, what are good ways to prepare them?
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I also like them in salads, gives a bit of a crunch!
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Great source of omega 3 fatty acids, which you need for brain and nervous system health. Many people are deficient in omega 3s. Other food sources would be: salmon, sardines, anchovies, shrimp, purslane, and borage.
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Is chia & subja seeds the same seeds or different seeds?