Has anyone given up chips for good?

Options
abyssfully
abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
I can't seem to control myself when it comes to chips, but I've noticed that when I eat really healthy I don't crave them and/or they don't taste very good.

Has anyone given up chips? I was thinking about making a "no chips for 1 month" challenge or something just to see if I could do it.

(Sorry, bad grammar!)

Replies

• wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I can't eat them anymore, they actually make me physically sick. Too much grease. Now if only ice cream could do that.
  • CherryteaMT
    CherryteaMT Posts: 47
    Options
    i pretty much have...i also don't eat mcdonald's french fries..if i were to have some chips, i would just put some in a bowl and know thats my limit instead of sitting in front of the tv with a big ol bag...
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I did...I had to get them out of the house....I have control with everything but chips...I got drunk the other night and wanted them so walked to the store ate 2 and was like gross....LOL...I found alternatives...Popcorn, pretzels, Special K chip crackers....
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I've been trying to give them up, I didn't eat any for a few months, and then I scarfed down half a bag at a party recently. Now I've got a bag of baked chips I've been snacking on. I've been pretty good about the portion control with them, but I really need to stop eating chips altogether. It's just empty calories.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a single chip since February. I've once again discovered how much I love vegetables and fruits. I would rather raspberries or carrots or something natural now. I do kinda miss salt and vinegar chips...
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I eat chips on occasion, but mostly pretzels now. I do find it hard to resist chips though - they're so good!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I have given them up, mostly because I want to make the most of the calories I get! Eating healthier, I get to eat more!
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that I've really "given them up" I just don't eat them.
    I used to be a HUGE chip eater, but now I just buy healthier alternatives. The way I see it, if I don't buy it, it's out of sight and out of mind :)
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't want to have to give up anything for good. But, chips are a tough one. Have you tried PopChips? Pretty tasty, not as bad for you.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I only eat baked chips, Special K cracker crisps or veggie straws. I count out the serving size (Special K is like 27 chips for 110 calories!) and put them in a bowl. I then put the bag away and I go eat them somewhere else. Without the bag sitting next to me or seeing it, I'm happy and content eating my one serving size of them.

I can't eat regular chips. I tried a couple one day and I felt physically ill the rest of the day. Too much grease.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I have up chips. okay it was actually way before , and had nothing to do with weight loss, always got sores in my mouth when i ate them.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If I have a craving for something unhealthy and go for chips, I usually go for sunchips. They have whole grains in them and aren't all salty/greasy. However, I very rarely eat chips. Cookies are my weak spot..
  • jmassardo
    jmassardo Posts: 84
    Options
    I'll put another vote for the special k cracker chips. They are pretty good and you get a decent bowl full for the serving.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I eat veggie straws. They are becoming more and more popular. You can get them at Wal-Mart, Sam's, Meijer's, and Aldi's where I live (Indiana). They remind me of a cross between chips and french fries. They are shaped like little straws. 38 of them make up a serving and that is only 130 calories. They come in veggie w/ sea salt, creamy cheddar, potato w/ sea salt, and apple cinnamon. Maybe you can look for those. I eat them instead of chips. I hope you can find them where you live.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them. But I have bought Nut Thins and Apple Chips - those are delicious lower-cal alternatives. I don't eat them very often either. But they are GREAT for those irresistible TOM cravings
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I wish. I usually don't buy them or keep them in the house. Unfortunately I was craving crunch a little bit ago...and low and behold, they were in the house. =( Bad choice. Made my calorie goal by 5 calories...way too close for me.
  • copperdave
    copperdave Posts: 146
    Options
    I don't want to have to give up anything for good. But, chips are a tough one. Have you tried PopChips? Pretty tasty, not as bad for you.

Amen! Pop Chips are awesome!! Lower-cal, less sodium, and recommended by Jillian Michaels!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i love chips more than a candy bar or icecream i really have not had any most of my family are sweet eaters so i have icecream in my freezers so yes its easy to go with out untill i take off my weight but i can have pork skins that can take the place untill i take off my weight
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought potato chips for over a year because if I do then I would just eat the whole bag by myself within just a few days. If I'm at a party I will eat them though, but not a lot since you can't fit that many on those little tiny plates. The last time I had chips was a few months ago at my sister's house. I never understood people who change their diets and suddenly the foods that they used to eat tasted bad to them... I wish that was the case for me but it's not.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat veggie straws. They are becoming more and more popular. You can get them at Wal-Mart, Sam's, Meijer's, and Aldi's where I live (Indiana). They remind me of a cross between chips and french fries. They are shaped like little straws. 38 of them make up a serving and that is only 130 calories. They come in veggie w/ sea salt, creamy cheddar, potato w/ sea salt, and apple cinnamon. Maybe you can look for those. I eat them instead of chips. I hope you can find them where you live.

Oooo. Where'd you get the apple cinnamon ones?

I bought some regular ones from Meijer. I have all of those stores in my area (Michigan) and haven't seen apple cinnamon.