hypothyroidism and morning motivation

Options
I have an underactive thyroid and am feeling like I need to kick up my workouts a bit with some morning HIIT or running but I seriously lack the ability to get out of bed in time, any suggestions for leaving your bed in the A.M.? I'd also like to talk about hypothyroidism and weight loss. It feels impossible at this point.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I usually take my medication around midnight to 2 AM. I have been doing it so long I no longer set my alarm. If I do sleep thru and take them in the morning I also have trouble getting up and moving. I have also noticed that carb cycling seems to help. Weight loss is possible.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    emmit123 wrote: »
    I have an underactive thyroid and am feeling like I need to kick up my workouts a bit with some morning HIIT or running but I seriously lack the ability to get out of bed in time, any suggestions for leaving your bed in the A.M.? I'd also like to talk about hypothyroidism and weight loss. It feels impossible at this point.

You don't honestly lack the ability. You just don't want it bad enough.
    • Go to bed earlier
    • Get up when the alarm goes off.
    • Set your clothes out the night before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I agree taking the medication about midnight can help. This ties into the natural circadian rhythm of our bodies. I have been taking mine about 10-30 pm and see 6-30 am. I don't say it helps me get up then though. I've read t3 is the hormone which kick starts our days. This is what we need to make from the t4 storage pre hormone, we are prescribed (most of us are unable to have t3 prescribed) To facilitate the conversion we need to ensure we have the right vitamins and minerals available, though this is a simplistic statement for a very complex subject which involves all other aspects of our endocrine system.

Have you looked at your local thyroid support site for information on the testing of thyroid hormones. I've looked at the UK, USA, Australian and Canadian ones and they all have similarly good information. Additionally there is the US based web site "Stop the Thyroid Madness," much of the information is also available as a book. There are so many different reasons for an under-functioning thyroid so there will never be just one right answer. You may be told your numbers are in the, "normal range now". You need to know and record your own numbers. These numbers may well need to be different for yourself because we are all different. Many of us still have symptoms even when we are told we are fine now. I remember something like Thyroid Advocacy, or variations on this which may also be helpful to you.

If you have been diagnosed for some time, have you had your levels reviewed? especially if you have made changes in your life or had changes thrust upon you. Try to read, learn as much as you can. Many doctors do not see the need to refer you to an endocrinologist, thinking they know all there is to know. If they do make the referral, you may still not be sure of the best advice. Many people may manage with what they are told but more have discovered they need to be their own advocate.

If you wish to join a group on here there is the Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group. Usually it is very active but is is a little quiet since Friday.

Hope you get to feel better soon.
    (edited to add group)
  • JBROC5
    JBROC5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that your fatigue is low iron? Are you taking your synthroid everyday at the same time? I am also hypo and have been for 18 yrs. I have been feeling exhausted lately, but I know it isn't my hypo. I know when my thyroid is off because I get pretty specific symptoms. I don't eat nearly the protein I should, so my guess is that I'm lacking iron (this after talking to a family doc). Usually working out energizes me and doesn't cause more fatigue.
  • iamsmara
    iamsmara Posts: 46 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Many good advice here. I have hypoT too (what a *kitten*!) and take 25mcg every morning. It changes your life, no doubt... metabolism becomes sluggish, and the hormones just screw up all motivations regarding fitness and positive thinking. Somedays I just watch the clock tick and the hours melt. And see-eat. But there are other days which are much better. On the bad days, often I give in... but perhaps I should try harder to fight it. Fuzzipeg, thanks for the info, I am going to check out the thyroid support group :)

OP, I too am in the same boat but for different reasons. I live in India, and my city has one of the worst climates - its 35 at 6am most of the year and too hot to walk, job, or even take a stroll. I go to bed around 11pm (no way to go to sleep earlier), it's impossible for me to get up before 6am and walk (primarily because it's not safe for women in my neighbourhood, esp from the dogs roaming in the street!).

After fretting and wasting a lot of time, what I did was buy a gym m'ship. It's expensive, yes, but it's so worth it. I can walk whenever I want, any time of the day, and I also take the group classes and cross train. I am not the type to make friends at the gym, but I still feel motivated just to be on the floor with other kindred spirits and work out every day (not on sundays). Above all, the gym has stopped me from feeling guilt about my own inactiveness.

I know this solution may not work for everyone, but I think when we hit a roadblock, it's a good idea to alternate options. If not a gym m'ship, perhaps you can think about joining zumba or belly dance or aerobic dance classes... morning is a good time to exercise, yes, but if it's becoming very difficult to get up, then it may be better not to force it and just work out during other times. Good luck!
  • makennis
    makennis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I was told that I have low FT4 from my last annual checkup and I have gained 10lbs mystically in the last few months. I start doing exercise everyday and tracking what I am eating through MFP and so far I've lost few pounds. Let's motivate each other.
  • TiJoGa
    TiJoGa Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

• Go to bed earlier

You obviously don't have hypothyroidism...
  • jakproph
    jakproph Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I have the same issues I go to the gp who tells me my blood results are normal yet I feel tired demotivated and helpless the weight is still Pilling on my hair won't grow and is still falling out where to start?
  • takecontrolofme
    takecontrolofme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have same issue. I have been going to a naturepath who prescribed Naturethroid (desicated thyroid). Also added magnesium and iron. Have your ferritin levels checked. Problem I have is only cash only doctors will go to the level of testing and it can be quite expensive. Also consider going gluten free. That has helped me too. My energy is better but still lack motivation to get up and work out in the moring. I will get there thought. Just need to commit.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid and am feeling like I need to kick up my workouts a bit with some morning HIIT or running but I seriously lack the ability to get out of bed in time, any suggestions for leaving your bed in the A.M.?

I'd also like to talk about hypothyroidism and weight loss. It feels impossible at this point.

MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

As for exercise, pick a time of day that works for you. I'm am not a morning person—even now that my thyroid levels are in the "normal" range.
  • katyconn123
    katyconn123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi I to have hypothyroidism, and vitamin b12 defiency diagnosed 2 yrs ago. I would never had thought my body and a mind would change so much, I went from being really active to sleeping all the time in pain constantly, but now I'm determined not to let this beat me I go to 3 fit classes a wk , eating much healthier and go walking I've only lost 10lbs so far but I feel great , I am finally achieving my goal a bit at a time, I believe you really have to use your mind to overpower this illness, I still have crap days and sleep but when I feel ok I'm out and about x
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I get up at 0500, pop Synthroid (200/175mcg alt day) and crank out pushups, situps, jumping jacks, planks, etc. It's a mental game. My kids get up at 0615 and we do a small set of calisthenics to get the blood pumping and start the day off right. At around 0630 I drink 16 oz water - allowing ample time for the Synthroid to fully uptake.

As for morning motivation I rely on the military background and humor - muttering cadence to myself as I get ready.
  • annymm
    annymm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think that as soon as you get motivated it can be easy to start and even commit for a few weeks but when you don't see results, the motivation starts to lack and getting out of bed seems harder. i know I have been on the weight loss track for about 10 years, all of my twenties and my weight fluctuates constantly. I was at my thinnest about a year ago and since then have piled on about 25 pounds even though I Still work out aggressively that means, 6 am work outs, boot camps, hip hop fitness classes, stadium conditioning, cross fit and TRX and I do it about 6 days a week with about 8-9 workouts a week, yup I even do double days. I haven't had fast food in like 4 years and rice, pasta, and bread are NEVER a part of my groceries. I am pretty convinced that I have hypothyroidism because 3 close family members have it but every time I test for anything all my results are normal even though i show all of the symptoms including loss of eyebrow, fatigue, weight gain, difficulty concentrating, constant thirst, etc. I still make myself go to my work outs though because I know that its more then just about the weight loss. Being heart healthy, having a longer life, and being strong will all pay off in other areas of your health.

If you guys have any tips for how to drop those lbs. though let me know bc I have tried almost everything.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I see several posts regarding people having "normal" TSH ranges - ideal is considered 0.3 - 3.0. Note that everyone has days outside this range, but a consistent level above 5 will drag you down.

One of the best holistic summations I have found:

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/thyroid-scale

Hypothyroidism is an obstacle - a relatively small one in the grand scheme of things. Don't let it become an excuse and it won't be one.

• VioletHaz
    VioletHaz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid due to Hashimoto's. I think this is also the reason for my low iron and vit d deficiency. Working out comes in spurts but pain and busy life get to me so I stop. My general doc must have done some research, saw some info that peaked his interest, or had another patient see him with info but he suddenly decided he was going to look at reverse T3. I am still trying to learn about this. After 12 years on levothyroxine of varying strengths over 100 mcg he has decided to put me on Armour 75mg (60mg equivalent to 125mcg levo). He explained that it provides pre-activated t3 to counter my high levels of rT3 (??).
    I can say that its only been a week but I feel like a gray cloud has been lifted and I am no longer moving through quicksand. My focus even seems improved so hoping I can self motivate to tackle life like I haven't been able to in a long time :). Its a little pricier than the levo but if this is what I can expect even after the honeymoon period, its well worth it.
    I know this won't be the same for everyone but I feel pretty darn good about sharing the info in case it can help someone.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    TiJoGa wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

• Go to bed earlier

You obviously don't have hypothyroidism...

As someone who does have hypo, I agree with _Waffle_. You have to want it bad enough to do it.

I've been a night owl for most of my life, but I find that making an effort to get up and go in the early hours has helped me do what I want to do in the morning.

If you fail to plan, plan to fail. That works for meal planning and exercise planning. If you pack a bag the night before, you should have a much harder time talking yourself out of going to the gym.
  • TheAnayalator
    TheAnayalator Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I've lost 37 lbs. I have to take 100mg of Synthroid daily. Once your levels are balanced out, the weight should come off easily. Get your levels checked every 3-4 months and make sure you're on the right dosage. My doctor told me that most people to not respond to the generic brand called levothyroxine so I recommend you buy the name brand version of Synthroid. You can get a coupon on GoodRX so it should only be around $30 for a month supply. Also, be sure when you take the pill it's on an empty stomach otherwise your body won't absorb it properly. Most doctors will tell you that you need to take it and wait 30 minutes before you eat, but I take mine at night before bed that way it has time to go through my system before breakfast in the morning. There are also certain foods you should just avoid if you have hypothyriodism. Try to stay away from soy and caffeine.

Good luck to you!
  • VioletHaz
    VioletHaz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I see several posts regarding people having "normal" TSH ranges - ideal is considered 0.3 - 3.0. Note that everyone has days outside this range, but a consistent level above 5 will drag you down.

One of the best holistic summations I have found:

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/thyroid-scale

Hypothyroidism is an obstacle - a relatively small one in the grand scheme of things. Don't let it become an excuse and it won't be one.

^^ I love this post. I can't get myself to stick with Hypothyroid groups because of all the excuses and in short, whining. I know I will get where I need to be but I have to make the better choices, advocate for myself at the docs, and accept what I don't change.
  • snoozypoo
    snoozypoo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I really struggle In The mornings too and thyroid has been under control with medication for years! I find if I workout in the morning I need a nap about 10/11 which isn't great when working or looking after kids! I workout at night which isn't always ideal but at least I can go straight to bed after x
  • JenforHealth
    JenforHealth Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been taking synthroid for some years now and felt okay, no symptoms. Labs normal. Recently had crash where I was freezing one day, couldn't get warm. Which is very unusual for me as usually hot. It suddenly dawned on me it was my thyroid as for the past month I could hardly get out of bed, had total apathy and mental slowness. A scary state actually. I felt like in a coma. I had been taking the med incorrectly due to laziness. Was taking the med with food in am instead of 1 hr before with glass of water. It wasn't getting absorbed!!
    I am slowly improving after 2 weeks, although they say takes 6-8 wks to fully build up in body. Still I've lost weight. Just like everyone, portion control