Running For Weight loss

Options
hi everyone i'm new to MFP and just by checking out the community posts it seems very helpful and will motivate me through adjusting to a healthier lifestyle and trying to lose 10 lbs.

i'm 130 lbs now, 5'7 and trying to lose 10 lbs within a month.. i know it is not easy and i am not looking for an easy or temporary way out however i was wondering what has helped for you all to lose weight and the process not be so slow???

i can't afford a gym membership at the moment however we do have a small community gym in our apartment complex.. mainly a treadmill, elliptical and a few weights. was wondering if running 3x a week and sticking to a 1300 calorie deficit could help? i am pear body shaped and looking to really hopefully target the fat in my thighs and hips.

any responses will be helpful, thanks

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I just have to ask why you want to lose 10lbs when you are already at an ideal weight?
    10 lbs is quite a lot for even a really overweight person to lose.
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm in pretty much the same boat you are. I run outdoors along a trail. I'm trying to kick my lower gut with leg lifts and an work 3-4 times a week. My goal is 160...I have got a lot to lose
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Running, weight lifting & staying at a calorie deficit has helped me lose weight and toned my legs more!
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    That's also a fairly massive caloric deficit when you're so lean to begin with. I would recommend not exceeding a deficit of 20% of your Total Daily Energy expenditure - which is likely around 400-500 calories. Even if you're not doing proportions to calculate your caloric deficit, you wouldn't want to exceed a 1000 calorie deficit per day anyways - that's just not safe.
  • meghanttu08
    Options
    Running, weight lifting & staying at a calorie deficit has helped me lose weight and toned my legs more!

Running has toned my legs so much!! <3 seeing results!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Running has toned my legs so much!! <3 seeing results!

What does this mean?
  • meghanttu08
    Options
    By running I have noticed my legs getting toned and decrease in fat in my outer thighs. I love seeing results because it makes me more motivated to continue to do what I'm doing.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I just have to ask why you want to lose 10lbs when you are already at an ideal weight?
    10 lbs is quite a lot for even a really overweight person to lose.

This bears repeating.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    120 is really thin for 5'7". I've never gotten below 127, (im just over 5'7") and that was during prep for a bodybuilding show AND I was VERY lean. Like 8-pack and no boobs. About a month smaller than my avatar.

And you want to lose that in a month? It took me 6 months to go from 137 to 127 and I was lifting 5x + hiit 3x. You're not being realistic.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Running is hard to beat. I can knock out 1,000 calories in a bit under an hour. Not much else will do that in such a short time frame, right?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    efclove1 wrote: »
    hi everyone i'm new to MFP and just by checking out the community posts it seems very helpful and will motivate me through adjusting to a healthier lifestyle and trying to lose 10 lbs.

i'm 130 lbs now, 5'7 and trying to lose 10 lbs within a month.. i know it is not easy and i am not looking for an easy or temporary way out however i was wondering what has helped for you all to lose weight and the process not be so slow???

i can't afford a gym membership at the moment however we do have a small community gym in our apartment complex.. mainly a treadmill, elliptical and a few weights. was wondering if running 3x a week and sticking to a 1300 calorie deficit could help? i am pear body shaped and looking to really hopefully target the fat in my thighs and hips.

any responses will be helpful, thanks

Just concerned for your health ... You're saying a 1300 calorie deficit a day? Running 3x a week? Do you have a really active job that keeps you on your feet all day? Please tell me you're going to eat--that's a really drastic number. Whatever's happening in a month isn't worth risking your health for! Please take care of you!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Please post pics to show how a 130 pound, 5'7" person can be pear shaped and desperately need to lose 10 pounds
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Please post pics to show how a 130 pound, 5'7" person can be pear shaped and desperately need to lose 10 pounds

This
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Running is great for maintence. Most runners indicate weight loss is low on the list of a good reason to run.
  • raychella13
    raychella13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and the smallest I had ever been was after I was sick with mono for over a month. I repeat, I was SICK WITH MONO. I was down to 129 and still thought I was "fat" because I had lost the weight drastically and was still flabby, not toned. I was so excited to see I was under130, hadn't been under130 since the 4th grade lol. I tried maintaining 129 by working out every day by running/lifting and I gained and fluctuated between135-140. oddly that's when I looked the best, not at 129. I am also pear shaped. Try focusing on toning, not a number. My bff is 5'8 and 120, she's super skinny but that's her body frame, and I'll tell you this, she jiggles more than I do. Fit vs frame. Sometimes we have a number set in our head and even if we got there, we wouldn't be happy. Especially in your situation, you're already at a perfect weight. Take care of yourself :)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you really believe you have excess weight on your thighs, eat near maintenance and lift heavy. The number on the scale might not change much, but your body shape will. And it will take longer than a month.

Losing 10 pounds in a month when you're already small is a recipe for disaster.
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Did you mean 1300 calories was your daily allotment ?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Yup...this