Went to the Gym for the 1st time

Options
And you know what? It didn't kill and I didn't hate it.

I hadn't been to the gym in years, not since I was last fat shamed - and I was 30 lbs lighter then (around 250 lbs). It took every once of courage to walk through the doors but I went.

A friend dragged me to Burn Boot Camp and I am happy to report that not only did I stay for the whole 45 minute strength routine, I also enjoyed every excruciating minute of it. B)

Was I the fattest in the room. Yes. Was I self conscious as hell. Yes. Was I welcomed and cheered on by the other women in the class. Most definitely, Yes.

Am I going back. 100% YES.

Replies

• Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Excellent!

Once you start noticing the little changes here and there, feeling good and looking good it is just the best!

Enjoy! :)
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! Way to go young lady. Great effort.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    kfebersole wrote: »
    And you know what? It didn't kill and I didn't hate it.

I hadn't been to the gym in years, not since I was last fat shamed - and I was 30 lbs lighter then (around 250 lbs). It took every once of courage to walk through the doors but I went.

A friend dragged me to Burn Boot Camp and I am happy to report that not only did I stay for the whole 45 minute strength routine, I also enjoyed every excruciating minute of it. B)

Was I the fattest in the room. Yes. Was I self conscious as hell. Yes. Was I welcomed and cheered on by the other women in the class. Most definitely, Yes.

Am I going back. 100% YES.

Nice. I am glad to hear you went to a good place that the bold would happen.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Those other women in class will continue to be motivation...as they cheer you on and you notice how you can keep up! So glad you had a good experience!
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Very good! Always nice to hear people face up to their fears and just break down their own barriers!!! Congrats!!
  • stumpytiny
    stumpytiny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well done ...dont worry what people think i all ways say you doing it for you ..work hard and the results will come ..
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My first month at the gym, a "regular" commented that she thought I'd have a heart attack on the treadmill. 8 months later, I'm the "regular" and she hasn't been seen in over 2 months. :) Don't sweat being the largest person in the gym. I've been there. (and some days, still am, but I've earned respect from many regulars who have been watching my transformation.) You'll make friends, and even have another great support team outside of MFP.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    <3 Good for you!! That is amazing to hear!
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    We all started with baby steps, before you know it you'll be flying