Roughly 50 lbs down and dramatically healthier (Pics Added)

Options
UGAGuy76
UGAGuy76 Posts: 9 Member
edited May 2015 in Success Stories
My story in a nutshell:

Due to medical issues (Severe Asthma), I gained a ton of weight as a teenager. By 18, I was pushing 215 pounds and never looked back. Horrible diet and lack of exercise continued to make the problem worse. By my early 30s, I was pushing 290 lbs. I quickly developed diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and thyroid issues. I was a walking time bomb.

In December 2014 (shortly before my 39th birthday), the doctor told me that I would be dead of a heart attack in five years if I didn't do something about it. At the time, I was 240+ lbs and taking ten pills per day (6 BP, 2 Diabetes, 1 Thyroid, 1 Cholesterol). Even taking 10 pills, my BP was still out of control at about 145/90. It should be 115/75 for reference.

Fast forward to today:

I weighed in at a mean 195 lbs. :) I ran 2.25 miles last night (without stopping) at an 11 min per mile pace. I walk or jog a minimum of seven miles a day typically. I climb a local mountain weekly. I only take two pills for my diabetes and two pills for my blood pressure (one at 1/4 of the original dose). My blood pressure and pulse are rock solid in the healthy range. My blood work came back completely normal for the first time in as long as I can remember three weeks ago. For those diabetes people, my A1C dropped into the "pre-diabetic" range. Doc says another 15-20 pounds and I will be MEDICATION FREE!!!

I can't even begin to tell you how much better I feel. As someone that has been fat their entire adult life, I never knew just how much better I would feel. My energy is up. My self-esteem is through the roof. I'm not ashamed to take my shirt off at the pool anymore.

I wanted to post this to say... If *I* can do it, you can do it too. Good luck in your journey.

Also, always looking to add friends for motivation. I haven't been using this like I should but I plan to start being much more active here.

I originally said I wasn't going to add pictures but I figured why not...

BEFORE:

ic45eevi29xp.jpg

AFTER:

coyjm7ka669x.jpg

Replies

• Keisha2BFitAgain
    Keisha2BFitAgain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great job!! You're doing awesome :)
  • cdcllcga01
    cdcllcga01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That accomplishment has to feel really good! Nice work!
  • Bilderknipser
    Bilderknipser Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow, amazing :). Congrats on the weight loss and healthier lifestyle!
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, well done - you must be over the moon to be getting off the medication x
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration! I have severe asthma too, and slowly it's getting better the more I stay on the healthy path. So glad you're so much healthier. You've done a tremendous job!
  • cds_momto3
    cds_momto3 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! That's just awesome!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    good success for a uGA fan

29509743.png
  • lish1904
    lish1904 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congrats! Such an accomplishment.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • efrensgirl2015
    efrensgirl2015 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    HOLY MACKEREL! good for u!keep up the great work.
  • nancyko
    nancyko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You look great!! Reading this is encouragement to me to do better and quit playing around.
  • charleykayesmom
    charleykayesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    How do i add a pic on here? Am i being dumb?
  • orpingman
    orpingman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • SquatNSparkle
    SquatNSparkle Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Wonderful progress!!! You are an inspiration.
  • LisaPrust
    LisaPrust Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Thanks for sharing your journey, thoughts and photos! What an encouragement to us all!!
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • jamie610811
    jamie610811 Posts: 1,734 Member
    Options
    Great news dude, keep up the good work :)
  • Pezkin85
    Pezkin85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow, great work, what a difference already!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Gosh you're looking good lad, which goes nicely with your feeling good :-)
  • believeinme0430
    believeinme0430 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Great job!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!