What do yall do with old clothes you no longer fit into?

Options

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Sewing machine for whatever can be altered to fit. Consignment stores or friperies for the really good stuff. Donation bins for everything else.

... Eventually. For now I'm hanging onto a lot of it, not because I think I'll gain the weight back, but it's only been a few months and I can't say I 100% trust myself yet not to.

When I lost 27 lbs and hit my goal weight 2 years ago I gave most of my clothes away and bought new ones. Slowly over the next two years almost half of that weight slowly crept back on. I was determined that it wouldn't...but it did. I had to go shopping to buy 1 pair of trousers so I would look presentable at work. Meanwhile I had kept a few pieces of clothing from before and was so glad, because I have something to wear that makes me look okay while I'm losing again. My incentive now of course is to fit back into my smaller clothes, and I refuse to do any more shopping at my current weight. However....having some clothes from before that fit helped me feel better about myself as I started losing. Just sayin'.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I donate them, and keep the receipts. My charitable contributions provide enough of a deduction in my tax filing to more than pay for my running sneakers and gym membership. Nice little cycle huh? :smile:
  • brightsideofpink
    Options
    That said, I'm starting to wish I'd just kept one pair of pants so I could do the fun photo wearing pants too big for me and pulled out at the waist. I've always loved those photos.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've given mine to family and to a woman from Craigslist.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Charity shops. Yesterday it was British Heart Foundation. Not sure what I am going to do when I shrink out of clothes I REALLY like, though; I'm not great with a sewing machine. Work for the local alterations lady, I think.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Sewing machine for whatever can be altered to fit. Consignment stores or friperies for the really good stuff. Donation bins for everything else.

... Eventually. For now I'm hanging onto a lot of it, not because I think I'll gain the weight back, but it's only been a few months and I can't say I 100% trust myself yet not to.

When I lost 27 lbs and hit my goal weight 2 years ago I gave most of my clothes away and bought new ones. Slowly over the next two years almost half of that weight slowly crept back on. I was determined that it wouldn't...but it did. I had to go shopping to buy 1 pair of trousers so I would look presentable at work. Meanwhile I had kept a few pieces of clothing from before and was so glad, because I have something to wear that makes me look okay while I'm losing again. My incentive now of course is to fit back into my smaller clothes, and I refuse to do any more shopping at my current weight. However....having some clothes from before that fit helped me feel better about myself as I started losing. Just sayin'.
    I could have written this.
    Good luck to both of us! :)
  • kamber13
    kamber13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

I bought a sewing machine (rather asked for one for Christmas). I love shirt dresses with leggings and a funky belt so a lot of my clothes look like sacks now... but with the ability to add darts I'm able to form sacks into hour shaped dresses. Leggings I use for housework or painting pants or simply tossed them.

My favorite event... throwing away my underwear.... er, granny panties! Setting sail to those bad boys was awesome!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I donate mine. I usually buy things on sale/clearance at Old Navy or Target, so it's not a huge blow to give them away. If you spend more on your clothes, you can look at a consignment shop where you'll get paid a bit for them as long as they're in good shape.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    That said, I'm starting to wish I'd just kept one pair of pants so I could do the fun photo wearing pants too big for me and pulled out at the waist. I've always loved those photos.

Hmm great idea! I still have some old worn out work pants in the rag bin that haven't been cut up. Thanks for the idea....going to save a pair!
  • evillottie
    evillottie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eBay the nicer things and use the money to buy new clothes. Less nice things I donate :-)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I usually put things in the clothing drop boxes nearby. However if the jeans are in good shape, older classic jeans sell well on ebay.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    kamber13 wrote: »
    My favorite event... throwing away my underwear.... er, granny panties! Setting sail to those bad boys was awesome!

Oddly enough, underwear is the one thing that hasn't changed size. I've gone from a size ~14 to a size ~6 in most other things, but the same underwear still fits me and a size down is too small. Strange, eh?
  • brightsideofpink
    Options

Oddly enough, underwear is the one thing that hasn't changed size. I've gone from a size ~14 to a size ~6 in most other things, but the same underwear still fits me and a size down is too small. Strange, eh?

Hahaha, no, I totally get it! 65 lbs gone and I can still fit into old underwear if I want to. I've really only bought new underwear because I wanted seamless for under my workout clothes.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kamber13 wrote: »

I didn't have to buy new undies until I was really close to 100 lb gone. Yay! for grannies panties! having a waistband that sits at the waist kept them up even when the butt was baggy. When I did buy more, they were 3 sizes smaller. I'll probably buy some more when I reach goal but these will do for another couple of sizes.

Bra's on the other hand . . .

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

This ^^ ...

Most of the time I roam all over the normal weight range, according to the BMI scale. When I'm exercising lots in the summer, I might roam to the bottom of the normal weight range ... when I'm not exercising as much during the winter, I might roam to the top of the normal weight range. Occasionally I'll venture into underweight or overweight.

But because of my bone structure (wide hips!!), even when I am underweight, according to the BMI scale, I'm only 1 or 2 sizes smaller than when I'm overweight.

The larger sized clothes are nice for days where I'm feeling a bit bloated, or want to wear something loose and baggy, or have put on a little winter weight, or something.

Right now, my skinny clothes are in bins in storage. My closet contains my mid-range clothes and larger clothes. Hopefully in a month or two, my larger clothes will be in the bins, and my closet will contain my skinny clothes and mid-range clothes. :)

• _m0lly
    _m0lly Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I put everything on ebay. :smile:
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Clothes in good condition go to charity. A group of churchs in my area maintains "free store" along with the food pantry they have. Old stuff I've worn out gets tossed.
  • LizaArg
    LizaArg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Check out Thredup.com, you can request a bag (for free) and they will buy some of your clothes and donate or return the rest (for a small fee for returns).
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I sold most of mine on Facebook to fund my new wardrobe, since I'm pretty broke. I've also given some to my friends who now fit into my old clothes.

I also sell all my kids' old clothing on Facebook so i can buy them new clothes, lol
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I freecycle clothes, and lots of other stuff. Right now my raspberries are spreading like weeds and I'm freecycling them. A few weeks ago I was freecycling strawberry plants. I have dropped things off at Goodwill as well, but I like the community interaction of freecycle.

https://www.freecycle.org
    Oh send me some! :)