Good "cutting" workout (lifting)

Options
I'm looking for a good lifting program to "cut" fat with. I completely understand that the bulk of weight loss is from nutrition (and obviously will be focusing on that as well).

But I enjoy working out, and enjoy lifting. I wondered if any other mfp users had a good lift program they like to do when they are cutting weight?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks all!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I use the same lifting program regardless of what my eating habits are at the time (I've never bulked, but I've lifted at a higher deficit, a very small deficit, at maintenance, and while saying f* it I'm eating whatever I want right now). I have not been lifting all that long, so I started with a beginner program (personally did stronglifts 5x5, but there are several good ones) and recently transitioned to an intermediate program after almost 2 years of SL (with a few breaks and a small transition to strong curves).
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I’m currently in a deficit to lean out, and use Starting Strength. I would not use a different lifting program depending on whether I’m maintaining or cutting. I like progressive heavy lifting programs like this one. It’s nice to see I can gain strength while in a caloric deficit.

I’m not sure what exactly you’re looking for. Another good program is Stronglifts 5x5. You say you enjoy lifting - what kind of exercises do you do now?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    MrGoTime wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good lifting program to "cut" fat with. I completely understand that the bulk of weight loss is from nutrition (and obviously will be focusing on that as well).

But I enjoy working out, and enjoy lifting. I wondered if any other mfp users had a good lift program they like to do when they are cutting weight?

If you enjoy lifting, I'd probably* recommend doing what you're doing now - but probably* cut back on the volume some.

*Probably, because I/we don't know, exactly, what you're currently doing. I'm currently following a 5/3/1 variation. On my next cutting phase, I'll still do the core lifts, as scheduled, but cut back on the assistance lifts.
  • MrGoTime
    MrGoTime Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've messed around with a couple lifts over the last year or so. I got the best results with Defranco's "Built like a Badass". I also spent a few months with Mike Matthew's "Bigger Leaner Stronger".
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    I’m currently in a deficit to lean out, and use Starting Strength. I would not use a different lifting program depending on whether I’m maintaining or cutting. I like progressive heavy lifting programs like this one. It’s nice to see I can gain strength while in a caloric deficit.

I’m not sure what exactly you’re looking for. Another good program is Stronglifts 5x5. You say you enjoy lifting - what kind of exercises do you do now?

I've heard good things about Starting Strength. Actually received the book recently as a gift, but haven't been able to read it yet. Maybe I'll take a look at that. It seems simple and effective.

Thanks all for your input so far.
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would assume you lift the same but cut or bulk would be governed by whether or not you are in a calorie surplus or deficit. I maybe wrong but that's my take on it. If not, someone will correct me and give you additional information. Good luck!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've messed around with a couple lifts over the last year or so. I got the best results with Defranco's "Built like a Badass". I also spent a few months with Mike Matthew's "Bigger Leaner Stronger".

I've heard good things about Starting Strength. Actually received the book recently as a gift, but haven't been able to read it yet. Maybe I'll take a look at that. It seems simple and effective.

I've never run the program, but apparently the book is a fabulous resource (even if you don't run the program). But, if you've been lifting for a while, you may already know some of the information, but a refresher never hurts.

I don't know much about the two programs you've run before, but they sound from the names like they might be rather aggressive volume-wise. As mentioned previously, you may need something with a little less volume.
  • GunnarHamundarson
    GunnarHamundarson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Currently losing about 3 lbs per week with no loss of muscle, yet. Diet is first, so my protein is high and carbs are kept to 200-300 grams (depending on the day). Lots and lots of water. Keeping the rest low between sets, I go for various rep ranges from 8 to 20 reps. With squats I do 225x20x3, then go to calves for a few sets, then back to squats. Then, I alternate between leg curls and extensions going for variable rep ranges. I also get out and ride a bike and then do the stairmill for steady state training. Next day, I do not train any cardio or legs to allow them to recover. My workouts are never the same.

Upper body the next day. I may start with lat pulldowns, then bench, then rows, then flies, then a little more back, then tricep pushdowns, then skullcrushers, and then only 5 sets of biceps, and then shoulders. Rep ranges are always variable, but I usually pyramid.

If my calories are up, I lose fat pretty quick; especially, when I do longer sessions on the stairmill. But, if they are too low I lose a little bit of muscle, too, so I usually just back off the cardio a little more or eat another protein bar. The thing I really try to adhere to is to burn it off and try not to starve it off... although, a deficit is a deficit. I just find, if you try too hard and the faster you lose fat, the more likely you will lose some muscle a long with it. I try not to lose more than 3 lbs a week; although, a 1.5 lbs rate allows my workouts to be more intense. Good luck. The amount of work you HAVE to do in the gym is a result of what you do in the kitchen.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I’m a big fan of the program. I really, really love it, and had good results (strength and weight-wise) in the 3 months or so since I got back into it (I have my stats in my profile if you’re curious). There’s also a decent thread on it here on the bodybuilding forum, if you want a synopsis of the book.

Good luck :smile:

Edited to add: I’m not sure how I feel about those high rep programs, but I don’t think they’d really add anything at this stage. Once I stop progressing on my current program, maybe, but otherwise, why not stick with something simple if it works...
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

If you enjoy lifting, I'd probably* recommend doing what you're doing now - but probably* cut back on the volume some.

*Probably, because I/we don't know, exactly, what you're currently doing. I'm currently following a 5/3/1 variation. On my next cutting phase, I'll still do the core lifts, as scheduled, but cut back on the assistance lifts.

This is the correct answer.

• MrGoTime
    MrGoTime Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I’m a big fan of the program. I really, really love it, and had good results in the 3 months or so since I got back into it (I have my stats in my profile if you’re curious). There’s also a decent thread on it here on the bodybuilding forum, if you want a synopsis of the book.

Good luck :smile:

Thanks! I'll check it out.

auddii wrote: »

I've never run the program, but apparently the book is a fabulous resource (even if you don't run the program). But, if you've been lifting for a while, you may already know some of the information, but a refresher never hurts.

I don't know much about the two programs you've run before, but they sound from the names like they might be rather aggressive volume-wise. As mentioned previously, you may need something with a little less volume.

My thoughts too. And the programs are pretty aggressive. I liked Build like a Badass though, as it was only a 3 day lift, which gave me an extra 2-3 days per week to just do some cardio (and pushups/situps).