Pre-workout supplement for lifiting in a fasted state

Options
I train (heavy lifting) in a fasted state 3 days per week (training times are close to when my feeding period would start). I've read that BCAA's can help prevent the body from using muscle as fuel when engaging in fasted training.

I'm curious to find out if anyone supplements for this reason and what your experience has been. I really want to make sure the supplementation is necessary before I spend money on something that I may not need.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that my fast is an 18 hour period (begins 7:30 p.m. and ends around 1:30 p.m. ish next day).
  • luis702702
    luis702702 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I tried BCAA's and they do nothing to me , on the other hand taking preworkout on fasted state specially ater like 18 whoaaaaaaa!!! :) ..... but you can also take coffee instead and save some money and probably get same effect.
    Also I am fat so why would my body use muscle instead of my stored fat ???
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    luis702702 wrote: »

Because the main fuel for lifting is glycogen, and the body can't convert fat to glycogen easily in a fasted state. More on that here:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/440138-can-fats-be-turned-into-glycogen-for-muscle/

OP - If you must lift in a fasted state, BCAAs are a good idea, to keep your body from taking it from muscle. I'll try to dig up the studies on that.
    If you lift fasted for body composition reasons, realize it has a negligible effect. Lifting performance is usually higher in a fed state.

• VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks, CheriMoose - your explanation made a lot of sense!
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've been including IF in my regiment for about 3 months now, and BCAAs have definitely helped to keep my muscle deterioration at bay (I've lost roughly 1lb of lean muscle to about 15lbs of body fat - a 15:1 ratio of BF:muscle loss is something that I can most certainly live with). As such, based on my own experience, I'd definitely recommend it.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    That having been said, keep in mind that BCAAs are not a stimulant, so don't take them with the expectation that you're going to get the same caffeine-based "kick" that a conventional preworkout will give you. I agree with the above in that a cup or two of black coffee will do the trick - especially on an empty stomach - and it'll also help keep your money in your wallet.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    luis702702 wrote: »

Because the main fuel for lifting is glycogen, and the body can't convert fat to glycogen easily in a fasted state. More on that here:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/440138-can-fats-be-turned-into-glycogen-for-muscle/

OP - If you must lift in a fasted state, BCAAs are a good idea, to keep your body from taking it from muscle. I'll try to dig up the studies on that.
    If you lift fasted for body composition reasons, realize it has a negligible effect. Lifting performance is usually higher in a fed state.

Completely agree. The presents of Amino Acids will help prevent some of the catabolism that may occur. Just dont' expect to get any performance benefit from the BCAA's.

I think Alan Aragon and / or Dr. Schoenfeld have discussed the topic of fasted training and overall it doesn't show an incredible benefit to weight loss. If your nutrition is in-order, you will lose weight regardless. If IF works for you and you like it, then do it, but it's definitely not that important especially when you consider that training fasted does impact training performance.

• Goran80
    Goran80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been taking BCAA/glutamine combo in my pre-workout shake to prevent catabolism and I haven't seen any noticeable decrease in muscle mass or strength.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sounds like leangains? I supplement with "Post-Jym" amino acids. Has some beta alanine and taurine, so I like to take it prior to working out since my face tingles, as opposed to "post" as the name would imply. Also, Scivation XTend. Pretty sure that's been considered the gold standard for a while