Running or Weights

Options
2»

Replies

• rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I will always run. I enjoy running, and I've been running regularly for almost 20 years.
    That said, it isn't required for fitness. If you don't like running, there's absolutely no reason for it. I also do strength training ~3 days per week. The ST is what has given me the muscle and definition in my body that makes me look good naked. Running is just for fun (for me).
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I do lots of both, but find that weight lifting is NOT optional.
  • NaomiBusler
    NaomiBusler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit: does this just mean eating below your daily calorie requirement? Like, below 2000 or so (for me)?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I vote for both.

I like doing cardio and its health benefits and I like that I can eat more when I do it, so I keep it up. But I like even more the physique benefits that I get from lifting weights. From a purely vanity standpoint, I've gotten a tons more "lookin' good!" comments since starting to lift weights (and losing 10 pounds while doing it) than I got after losing 45 pounds while mostly running.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    cardio 3-4 days a week and strength training 2

29509743.png
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Gals out there, which is better for losing weight? Cardio, lifting weights, or both?

The answer to that depends on your goals. If you want to mitigate muscle loss while eating at a calorie deficit then it's a very good idea to lift weights, I recommend a good beginners heavy lifting program like strong lifts 5x5 or the dumbbell stopgap program to get you started. These programs have you lifting 3 days per week.

Remember, you can totally lose weight without doing a minute of cardio. I would focus on eating a good balanced diet, lifting weights to preserve muscle mass and squeeze in a little cardio here in there when able. I personally only find myself doing 1-2 days of cardio per week max depending on how I'm feeling, lifting heavy takes it out of me sometimes.

• o2cnpl
    o2cnpl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do both
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    a mix of both :) I gained the most noticable difference in body by lifting weights, but doing cardio helped with my calorie deficiet.

that is till i started marathon training and have actually gained despite running 4 days a week!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I do both. The weight training has helped my running which both have helped my weight loss.
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb: Weights change your shape. Cardio changes your size. So, depends what you want. ;)

Exactly what I was going to write. I then combine it with diet.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    A number of studies have been done, and it comes down to simple math: your caloric deficit is what matters for weight loss. In controlled studies, those folks who perform both strength training and cardio lost more weigh than the people who did only one or the other.

Strength training has the benefit of helping you maintain muscle mass while cutting calories (otherwise you're going to loss muscle along with fat). So if you can ONLY do one, then strength train.

But for best results, do both.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Both. Although I am sort of a cardio junkie because I dance. I found that cardio was best for losing weight in the beginning but as you get smaller and your body adapts to the exercise you don't burn as many calories. Lifting weights gave me a much needed boost! I also found that quick hit cardio, like a quick 20 minutes is way better and more effective than hours and hours.