Running 2.00 miles in 18:42?

Options
nestle90
nestle90 Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello, I just have a question for all of Y'all out there. I am a 5'8 155 lbs female. I work out everyday and recently I have lost a boat load of weight. Today I ran 2.00 miles in 18:42. Is that considered an OK time??

Replies

• stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Is it ok for you? There really is no right or wrong answer here. I remember when running a 5K in under 30 minutes seemed impossible me. Now i can run it around 24 and would like to get it down around 21.

Great job on the weight loss and running.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss. There really is no right or wrong pace. It is all about what works for you and your body. I know as I started to lose weight and spent more time running my pace got faster. Keep up the good work!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My slow pace is about 10 1/2 minutes mile. My fast is 8 minutes and usually hit somewhere in the 9 minute range.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nestle90 wrote: »
    Hello, I just have a question for all of Y'all out there. I am a 5'8 155 lbs female. I work out everyday and recently I have lost a boat load of weight. Today I ran 2.00 miles in 18:42. Is that considered an OK time??

Ok for what?
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Thats great.. any way you look at it for you... The more weight I lose and the more I run my pace is increasing....
    Congrats Happy Running
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Compared to Galen Rupp? Nope. Compared to yourself a year ago? Yep.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Unless you're racing, don't compare to anyone else. If it's better than last week's run, it's good enough for you.

Also, be careful focusing too much on pace. I found that when I started working on pace I lost my enjoyment for running. I now force myself to stay at a slower pace and just enjoy the run. I allow myself 1 run a week (I run 7 days a week) to satisfy the need for speed.
  • AdelaideNat
    AdelaideNat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    shmulyeng wrote: »
    Unless you're racing, don't compare to anyone else. If it's better than last week's run, it's good enough for you.

Also, be careful focusing too much on pace. I found that when I started working on pace I lost my enjoyment for running. I now force myself to stay at a slower pace and just enjoy the run. I allow myself 1 run a week (I run 7 days a week) to satisfy the need for speed.

This !!!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

What is your maximum distance you'll commonly run in one session?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

comparison is the thief of joy.

i ran my fastest half marathon time this past weekend. a girl in my triathlon club ran her slowest time ever, which is still faster than my time by ten minutes. should i no longer be happy about my time?
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    If there is a bear chasing you and he runs 2.0 miles 18:40, you might have a problem. %THis is why I carry a baseball bat. If I am ever chased by bears or zombies, I just knee cap the person next to me. On a serious note GREAT Job!
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm slow... So it seems fast! Keep it up!
  • JeraldTX
    JeraldTX Posts: 42 Member
    Options

That's about 9:21/mile... It's better than me. I haven't broken the 2-20 barrier...yet. I think for most beginning runners that 10min/mile is a standard goal. Guess what? You're there! Congratulations.

But any time is an "Ok, time" as long as you are getting fit and enjoying it. Isn't that the real goal?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That's a good time. There is no olympics in our future. Run for fitness and pleasure and compete against yourself.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily call it a fast time but if it's faster than you used to run then it's a great time.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It can take me anywhere between 25-30 minutes to run 2-2.5 miles, I'm pretty dang slow but I am trying to lose a boat load of weight still. Just be happy you're out and being active, I think that's a GREAT time! :) I'd love to get under a 10 minute mile. Keep up the good work!
  • nestle90
    nestle90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for the replies!
    I just wanted to know if there was a "correct" time. But after reading y'alls replies it makes me feel better to know that time doesn't really matter. As long as I can run it without being out of breath, I am okay with it.
    Thanks Everyone!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Ok for what? The olympics? No. Good for someone who's never tried it before? Absolutely.

No matter how fast you are, there is someone faster. Best to not compare yourself.

But if you want to compare yourself (and a lot of runners do), check out this Age-Grade calculator, which tells you where you stack up against people your age.

http://www.runbayou.com/Wavacalc.htm
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm slow... So it seems fast! Keep it up!

Ditto! I'd be very pleased with that. I'm hovering around a 13 minute mile.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for the replies!
    I just wanted to know if there was a "correct" time. But after reading y'alls replies it makes me feel better to know that time doesn't really matter. As long as I can run it without being out of breath, I am okay with it.
    Thanks Everyone!

You run 9 minute miles without being out of breath?