no pain no gain?

Options
Is it necessary to have sore muscles because of a weight lifting workout? I mean, if you aren't sore from lifting, does that mean your muscles aren't adapting and putting on more mass?

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    No, pain does not equal gain. The trick to getting stronger is to steadily increase the weight over time in small increments. If you are sore it could just be DOMS especially after a long period of not lifting. If you are always in pain this could be a significant sign that you are not exercising with proper form and/or lifting more than you should.

Before increasing the weight make sure you have your form down, then steadily increase the weight in 5 lb increments.

I highly recommend that you check out beginners heavy lifting program like Strong lifts 5x5 or dumbell stop gap.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I never was a "weight lifter" or "body builder" but I used run and work out in the gym to stay in shape , but let's face it well defined muscles aren't a bad thing.
    I worked under the premise that muscles and strength are built by stressing muscles then resting them. That's stressing them not tearing them. Don't overdo it , you don't have to hurt yourself every day. I believe you really do need to give your muscles a rest so that they can rebuild ,heal and sometimes grow and you get stronger.
    NO rest and you're just stressing already stressed muscles , and they never heal.
    Just do you a sensible set of lifts then give yourself a day off. Some of the more serious guys advised doing upper body one day and lower body the next day.
    Good Luck.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I never was a "weight lifter" or "body builder" but I used run and work out in the gym to stay in shape , but let's face it well defined muscles aren't a bad thing.
    I worked under the premise that muscles and strength are built by stressing muscles then resting them. That's stressing them not tearing them. Don't overdo it , you don't have to hurt yourself every day. I believe you really do need to give your muscles a rest so that they can rebuild ,heal and sometimes grow and you get stronger.
    NO rest and you're just stressing already stressed muscles , and they never heal.
    Just do you a sensible set of lifts then give yourself a day off. Some of the more serious guys advised doing upper body one day and lower body the next day.
    Good Luck.

No all true...

Weight lifting does cause your muscles to micro tear.. And no you do not have to feel pain during or afterwards (or get DOMS) in order to know you worked out or that it is doing something.. Rest is important, because your muscles recover and grow during rest, not in the gym..

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am getting older and wiser now so when I get started back I go with very light weight and give my body time get acclimated.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    DOMS are normal during your first week or two of exercising, but after that there really shouldn't be any discomfort. You may feel "worked" in certain areas after a good workout, but that shouldn't extend to the next day.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Work out specific target muscle groups and allow minimum of 48 hours before working them out again.

As for pain - you should not be feeling pain. Soreness yes and that is a good thing - soreness = healing for the most part. Take it easy in the beginning and have a more experienced trainer review your form. Form is critical.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    A little muscle soreness is a good thing...it actually motivates me to workout the next day because it goes away once I get warmed up.

Actual pain, especially joint pain, can be a sign of an injury.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I don't feel soreness or discomfort after each lifting session. There has been times where I have but not each time for sure.
  • lulufee317537
    lulufee317537 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I don't know why, but I wasn't notified about these replies. I asked the questions because I do a lot of weight lifting but don't feel much soreness. Example: 100 lb lat pulldown 3by10 twice a week, plus some 20 other exercises which I do twice a week.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    When you get used to one set of exercises you tend not to get sore. I only get sore now when I change my exercises or when I get hammered by my PT (but those sessions usually have me working different things from my usual workouts). That's just me though. So the first time I do something when my program changes I get sore, but by the second time around it's fine. I might feel the muscles, but not "OMG I can't walk/lift my arms" etc..
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I don't know why, but I wasn't notified about these replies. I asked the questions because I do a lot of weight lifting but don't feel much soreness. Example: 100 lb lat pulldown 3by10 twice a week, plus some 20 other exercises which I do twice a week.
    as far as i know you dont get notified for replies in the forum. you can click on the star at the top right(the one that isnt shaded in) and it will bookmark the page so you can come back later on,making it easier to find.