Beginners Workout: No Gym

Options
i just started my journey to lose 20lbs I came up with this workout to do 3 days a week that does not require me to go to a gym.

What do you all think? Questions, comments, concerns please

20-15-10 Circuit

20 crunches
15 squats
10 push ups

20 jumpin jacks
15 bicycle kicks
10 standstill lounges

20 planks
15 six inches
10 sit ups

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

20 planks
    15 six inches
    10 sit ups

What are these?

That looks like a good starting circuit. If you cannot get to a gym and enjoy calisthenics, you might like bodyweight training. There are a lot of resources online but one that I really like is startbodyweight.com. He has a basic routine here that you can follow and progress through. It takes minimal equipment (you can improvise with what you have at home for the most part.)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I would recommend dropping the crunches and situps and replacing them with some low-impact mountain climbers or other exercise you can do from a plank position. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

Otherwise I think it's a fine place to start - give it a few weeks and then check in with yourself and see whether you need to change the intensity or the exercises.

• JTB51
    JTB51 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Looks like a good starting point, but hard to give feed back not knowing your physical capabilities. But if it were me, my only concern is getting bored with the routine, and if it will provide enough challenge.
  • princetonmayberry
    princetonmayberry Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

20 planks
    15 six inches
    10 sit ups

What are these?

That looks like a good starting circuit. If you cannot get to a gym and enjoy calisthenics, you might like bodyweight training. There are a lot of resources online but one that I really like is startbodyweight.com. He has a basic routine here that you can follow and progress through. It takes minimal equipment (you can improvise with what you have at home for the most part.)

Its a drill i did when i played football, you basically lay down on you back and raise your feet "6in" off the ground and hold it there for a duration. Its pretty intense and supposed to work your mid section...i will checkout that link thanks
  • princetonmayberry
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I would recommend dropping the crunches and situps and replacing them with some low-impact mountain climbers or other exercise you can do from a plank position. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

Otherwise I think it's a fine place to start - give it a few weeks and then check in with yourself and see whether you need to change the intensity or the exercises.

Hmmmm i will definitely try that; thanks
  • princetonmayberry
    Options
    JTB51 wrote: »
    Looks like a good starting point, but hard to give feed back not knowing your physical capabilities. But if it were me, my only concern is getting bored with the routine, and if it will provide enough challenge.

I work up a good sweat 30% through, im thinking when i get more in shape i was play around with the reps
  • Ryanstwin
    Ryanstwin Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you want to train at home instead of going to the gym ? In my honest opinion nothing beats weight training
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    To balance out work on your back and biceps, add an inverted pullup if you can't do a pullup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgsyUiB6occ

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • princetonmayberry
    Options
    Ryanstwin wrote: »
    Is there a reason you want to train at home instead of going to the gym ? In my honest opinion nothing beats weight training

Yea im already gone all day away from my family so i dont want to spend more time away at the gym
  • princetonmayberry
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    To balance out work on your back and biceps, add an inverted pullup if you can't do a pullup.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Any idea how i can do it around the house? Theres really nothing for me to grab onto
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Kitchen table for the inverted pull ups works nice - have any saw horses or similar. Pretty easy to build one with PVC.

I have a similar morning routine and do pushups, situps, planks, jumping jacks, mtn. climbers, and burpees. I do them with my kids and we have a blast in the morning - 7, 5, and 1 and everyone is involved.

Spartan Race has a great (and free) 30 day challenge consisting of 30 days of lunges, burpees, planks, etc. Great motivator and some funny videos.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness beginners bodyweight programme

• 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    A link to go with rabbitjb's suggestion:
    nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

The workout is 2-3 rounds of:
    20 body weight squats
    10 push ups
    20 walking lunges
    10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug)
    15 second plank
    30 Jumping Jacks
  • princetonmayberry
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Any idea how i can do it around the house? Theres really nothing for me to grab onto
    99clmsntgr wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    A link to go with rabbitjb's suggestion:
    nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

The workout is 2-3 rounds of:
    20 body weight squats
    10 push ups
    20 walking lunges
    10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug)
    15 second plank
    30 Jumping Jacks

I will include some of this
  • princetonmayberry
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Kitchen table for the inverted pull ups works nice - have any saw horses or similar. Pretty easy to build one with PVC.

I have a similar morning routine and do pushups, situps, planks, jumping jacks, mtn. climbers, and burpees. I do them with my kids and we have a blast in the morning - 7, 5, and 1 and everyone is involved.

Spartan Race has a great (and free) 30 day challenge consisting of 30 days of lunges, burpees, planks, etc. Great motivator and some funny videos.

Thanks