IBS and diet

Options
Can anyone help with the right foods to eat for people with IBS.....trying desperately to keep away from the carbs but not succeeding. Just want the pain and bloating to go away.

Replies

• cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    This has really helped me. Since I've been eating more rice and potatoes (as well as many of the other things on this list), my stomach has felt much, much better. http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Also, these are the foods that may make you not feel as well: http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber2.asp
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone, so it's hard to make a list of the "right" foods. For me, high fat foods and sugary foods seem to trigger my IBS, so I do better when I stay away from those as much as possible. If you don't know what your trigger foods are, you could always start with a basic diet (protein and veggies) and add things back in over a few weeks. I have done a version of that, and that's how I know what causes my issues. Sorry I couldn't answer your specific question!
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering, and I've never been diagnosed with IBS so please forgive me if this is ignorant......have you tested out eliminating different foods that are known to cause symptoms in some people that look like IBS? I thought I had IBS, but I eliminated most fructose from my diet and VOILA, gas and pain gone. It turns out that I am fructose intolerant. People can be lactose or fructose intolerant and have major gastrointestinal distress. I'm not advocating all people give up fructose, just the ones who are actually intolerant. Also, everyone has their own levels that they can tolerate of the thing that they're sensitive too. My daughter is lactose intolerant but can still handle small amounts, like a half a cup on her cereal. I can eat lower fructose fruit in moderation, but anything more and I PAY. It hurts so, so bad. I really have to pay attention to labels because High Fructose Corn Syrup brings on the worst reaction, and a whole host of other weird ingredients like oligofructose (if I even spelled that right).

Anyway, my advice is to check your diet and keep working with it to figure out your triggers.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    MamaMc3 wrote: »
    I think it's different for everyone, so it's hard to make a list of the "right" foods. For me, high fat foods and sugary foods seem to trigger my IBS, so I do better when I stay away from those as much as possible. If you don't know what your trigger foods are, you could always start with a basic diet (protein and veggies) and add things back in over a few weeks. I have done a version of that, and that's how I know what causes my issues. Sorry I couldn't answer your specific question!

I agree. High fat foods and sugary foods cause me problems. After I cut out sugar (which I have since re-introduced, but in smaller quantities and only for dessert as part of a meal with protein), my IBS problems almost disappeared. I hardly ever have any problems anymore, and when I do, I am not usually surprised.
  • kaz5065
    kaz5065 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice , will definitely look at the websites. I have eliminated a lot of foods from diet which I know affect me. As I have a very low fat diet I might try leaving the sugary stuff.....thanks again
  • HadassahsMomma
    HadassahsMomma Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body after you eat foods. Certain foods trigger people that don't trigger others. For example, for the life of me I cannot consume processed pork. Sugary foods tend to make things worse. Not having enough fiber makes things worse for me personally. Very fatty foods make things worse-like bad fats though.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Fodmap diet is the way to start. I'm about 5 weeks in with great success. Feel free to add me to take look at my diary.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, it will vary for each person. I went on a low FODMAP elimination diet and am now in the process of gradually testing and adding back in the foods that don't make me miserable. For me, too much dairy, garlic and cauliflower are VERY big triggers but I'm still figuring it all out so I may have more.
  • kaz5065
    kaz5065 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Downloaded the FODmap foods list....thanks everyone..
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Kaz, there is an app you can buy from Monash University as well. It does cost about 10$ however but will list a lot of foods that are safe or not safe. I finally got it just for emergencies (me to pull up list on my phone or tablet).

I have recently intro'd ketchup (small tbs size) with acid reflux after but no ibs...this is after 4-5 weeks on the diet though. I feel SO MUCH better. I was miserable, depressed, so sick...anxiety, afraid to go anywhere...tummy hurt all the time. So happy I'm finding some relief now.