Need Recipes for Veggie Haters (Kale)

Options
deteague
deteague Posts: 2 Member
So I am an individual that really detests most veggies unless they are cooked to death (and i know by that point there isn't much nutritional value left in them).

I am hoping someone might be able to suggest some recipes for any vegetable dishes that a veggie hater might be able to learn to enjoy. I would also really love some that focus on kale. I know kale is good for me but i find it bitter and would love suggestions on how to cover that up.

Replies

• evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Do you like fruit? If you do, you could try blending kale (or any other leafy green) into a fruit smoothie. You might find it easier to take if you steam the kale/greens first to wilt them so they'e softer and blend up a bit better. The fruit masks the bitterness :)
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you want to try and eat something you don't like?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Big Pot Blanching: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/are-the-rules-of-big-pot-blanching-true.html

Blanch a variety of green veggies and keep them in your refrigerator for up to 1 week.

You can eat them as is, or follow that technique up with a quick saute with olive oil, red pepper flakes, fresh garlic, shallots, salt and pepper. If sauteing, the less moisture retained in the vegetables, the better. Kale will containing a suprising amount of residual water that must be squeezed out before storing in a container in the refrigerator.

Kale, green beans, spinach, broccoli, lima beans, etc. all require different blanching times. You will have to test the texture to determine when it is time to shock them.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Made this last week and my kids (kale newbies) scarfed it:

Beefy Kale Skillet Lasagna

1 lb 85%+ ground beef
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 tsp minced garlic
    1 TB oregano
    1 tsp basil
    1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
    2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
    2 tsp honey
    4 cups chopped kale
    1 1/2 cups 2% cottage cheese
    1/4 cup parmesan
    8 oz pasta of your choice, preferably whole grain (I like rotelle or mafalda)
    Cook pasta. Brown ground beef & onion, drain well. Add garlic & seasonings 1-2 min. Add tomatoes & honey, bring to a simmer. Add kale 5 min. Stir in cheeses and heat through, toss with pasta. Can top with a little shredded Italian cheese.

This was 8 servings of about 1 1/2 cups each and I think came in at @ 340 calories. I was a little concerned about using the kale in it (I typically used spinach) thinking it might be tough or bitter, but it was fine :)
  • b_neroni
    b_neroni Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can make a green smoothie with Kale. 2 cups of kale or mix it with baby spinach. One sliced frozen banana. I use some almond milk or water and PB2(powder peanut butter) All you will taste is banana and the peanut butter.
  • Jess_Rip
    Jess_Rip Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I concur with the smoothie suggestions. Banana, pineapple, and greens is the most basic and you won't taste the greens. Do you like salads? If you toss some baby kale in with a salad you'll hardly even notice it.

Check out the cookbook "The Roasted Vegetable". There were many veggies I didn't like until I started roasting them as it really brings out their sweetness. My favorite is green beans... toss with a little olive oil, kosher salt, and roast at 500 (yes that high) for 10-12 minutes.

Or try portabella burgers... mushroom cap instead of burger patty. With cheese it is so delicious!