Salad dressings

Options
mgarcia246
mgarcia246 Posts: 3 Member
what is a healthy but yummy dressing that I can either make or buy?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Ranch dip/dressing (53cal/oz)
    1 cup mayo (regular - not the light and please not fat free)
    1 cup plain 0% greek yogurt
    1oz Ranch dip/dressing mix

This is obviously more of a dip, but I really like thick dressings so you could always thin with a little buttermilk/plain milk if desired

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I like the Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings. Cilantro avocado is the best, and southwest ranch is good too.
    Ken's Steakhouse Lite in sweet vidalia onion and in sundried tomato vinaigrette are both good.
    If you want really low-cal, invest in a good balsamic or other flavored vinegars. Acetum honey ginger condiment is a good one. Garlic or red pepper rice vinegar works well. No oil needed. Or, instead of oil, try mixing in half a tablespoon of nut butter (branch out...sesame tahini or almond or cashew butters are tastier than peanut) and add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My ranch dressing:

3/4 c. light mayo
    1.25 c. buttermilk
    1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix

I do not like the dry, tangyness of Greek yogurt, hence the buttermilk. This has a tendency to be quite thick though, so feel free to substitute skim milk for a portion of the buttermilk...it reduces the calories further and still tastes really good and clocks in at about 55 calories per 1/4 cup.
  • jocey517
    jocey517 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    roasted shallot vinagraitte:
    saute a shallot in olive oil with salt and pepper (or can roast in oven on baking sheet)
    after that is carmelized - throw in a blender with 1/2 cup of white balsamic vinegar, 1/3 cup olive oil, salt, pepper & a bit of dried oregano and blend. keeps well in fridge:
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I find I can use red or white balsamic or rice wine vinegar on there own or with very little olive oil.

Low Fat Tangy Tomato Dressing
    Source: Healthy Cooking
    Makes 2 cups

1 can (14.5 oz) no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
    1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp. olive oil

Place all ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended.

Nutrition Facts: 2 Tbsp. equals 15 cal., 1 g fat, 0 chol., 170 mg sodium, 2 g carb., trace fiber, trace protein.

Variations:

Good Seasons Garlic and Herb + Balsamic Vinegar

Fire Roasted Tomato Dressing
    Source: Soup Spice Everything Nice
    Makes 2 cups

1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
    1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp. light mayonnaise

Place all ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended.

Nutrition Facts: 2 Tbsp. equals 15 cal., 1 g fat, 0 chol., 170 mg sodium, 2 g carb., trace fiber, trace protein.
  • comeongethealthyro
    comeongethealthyro Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sesame Terriyaki marinade/sauce! Brand is Organicville... so good in salads & stirfry's (ies?)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on thick ranch-y type dressings, although I know a lot of people like them. Too many calories to fit in my meal planning even with the lower calorie versions. Although Bolthouse Farms makes some pretty tasty dressings if you like the store bought variety.

My favorite dressings are variations on the following homemade vinaigrette:

1/4 cup each of extra virgin olive oil, hemp oil and flax oil
    1/2 cup of good quality vinegar (balsamic, rice, wine or apple cider)
    Fresh or dried herbs (basil, oregano, mint, thyme, sage)

I make a bottle and keep in the fridge. When it gets low I just squirt in some more oil, more vinegar and more herbs. Shake it up and taste until I like it. Sometimes I'll add raspberries or blackberries for a fruit vinaigrette. It's a continuously changing flavor. I use it up quickly enough that it never goes bad.

• healthyfitme12
    healthyfitme12 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lemon Vinaigrette

2 tablespoons lemon juice (about one lemon)
    1 tablespoon lemon zest
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon honey (vegans, use maple syrup)
    3 tablespoons minced shallots (about one)
    Salt and pepper

My Fave-- Balsamic, Olive Oil, & Italian Seasonings

1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
    1 cup Olive oil
    1/2 tsp Oregano
    1/2 tsp Basil
    1/2 tsp Rosemary
    1/2 tsp thyme
    Dash of kosher salt
    Dash of ground black pepper

Basil Vinaigrette

1 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    2 tbsp fresh basil
    3 fresh garlic cloves
    2 tbsp of honey

As a lover of ranch dressing, these dressings have taken over! I love them, gives you a whole new perspective of eating salad (if that makes sense lol)
  • Tuvya
    Tuvya Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    it's worth trying out Walden farms dressings. very low calorie they are mostly water, vinegar, and spices
  • mgarcia246
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Ranch dip/dressing (53cal/oz)
    1 cup mayo (regular - not the light and please not fat free)
    1 cup plain 0% greek yogurt
    1oz Ranch dip/dressing mix

This is obviously more of a dip, but I really like thick dressings so you could always thin with a little buttermilk/plain milk if desired

• mgarcia246
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Oh my goodness this gives me so many options, I love it! Thanks again!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just use straight up balsamic vinegar, or Newmans Own Lite Balsamic. I don't like to mess around with dressings and I like the taste of vegetables as is.
  • inked_Calimom82
    inked_Calimom82 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just use straight up balsamic vinegar, or Newmans Own Lite Balsamic. I don't like to mess around with dressings and I like the taste of vegetables as is.

Me too :) actually like the Newmans Own and I use to be a ranch only freak! lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Me too :) actually like the Newmans Own and I use to be a ranch only freak! lol

Do you use the lite? I'm a freak and actually weigh out 15 grams (half a serving) so it's only like 23 calories. It goes far.