things I can still cook....

Options
.....when all my roommates leave. none of the pots, pans, knives, or the blender are mine. i'll be left with a toaster, coffee maker, glass casserole/baking dish, and slow cooker. and the normal kitchen appliances (microwave, fridge, etc). i have the ingredients, just not the supplies. i'm only alone for a week before my mom comes up to help me move in to my summer dorm and deliver her ENTIRE set of pots & pans (thanks!!! lol i gave her an excuse to buy all new ones). unfortunately, im unsure about what I should make in that week. any ideas???? i REALLY dont want to end up eating out for a week because that would be expensive and VERY high in calories.

Replies

• TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if you make your food diary public, we can see what kind of things you like to eat, and give you some help? It's hard to know what to suggest without knowing your preferences! :smile:
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    How about getting a cheap frying pan (like from the dollar store) then you could stir fry some food as well as cook your regular meat/fish or whatever you like to eat and have it with a salad? Just a suggestion:smile:
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    try cooking your vegies in the microwave. i do it every day

you could also do a small cook up for 2 days before allthe appliances are gone, or ask if you could borrow some of them for a week
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    .....when all my roommates leave. none of the pots, pans, knives, or the blender are mine. i'll be left with a toaster, coffee maker, glass casserole/baking dish, and slow cooker. and the normal kitchen appliances (microwave, fridge, etc). i have the ingredients, just not the supplies. i'm only alone for a week before my mom comes up to help me move in to my summer dorm and deliver her ENTIRE set of pots & pans (thanks!!! lol i gave her an excuse to buy all new ones). unfortunately, im unsure about what I should make in that week. any ideas???? i REALLY dont want to end up eating out for a week because that would be expensive and VERY high in calories.

You can still bake things in the toaster oven! That's definitely a start. What kinds of ingredients do you have that this makes you limited? You can certainly make most things in the microwave, even pasta, eggs, things like that. I steam my vegetables in the microwave at home. I wouldn't make most meats in those things, but you could make bacon or veggie burgers in the microwave. It really depends on what you eat, but I'm certain you can make most of it with what you've got!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Slow Cooker: Excellent. Great recipes out there for you. Here on MFP and on the greater WWW. Go check some out.

You didn't say oven but I assume that is part of "the normal kitchen appliances":

Casserole/Baking dish:

Grilled chicken/turkey/fish under oven broiler (some microwave steam veggies)
    Grilled chicken/turkey (after cooking cut up chicken throw back in baking dish, add salsa, black beans, corn to dish. Place bake in oven to heat up)

Casseroles? Many recipes to be found.
    Zuchinni casserole
    Skinnny veggie lasagna
    meatloaf (turkey or lean beef)

Microwave:
    Steamed veggies
    Soups (watch sodium)
    Prepackaged meals (Lean Cusine, etc...) Not my first choice, processed foods are not that good for you if you are CLEAN living.
    Low Cal popcorns

Don't fall into eating out if you can help it.

If you can as some have suggested, buy a frying pan and a pot (under $20 US total I'm sure) then you are golden.

Good luck to you. Let me know if you want me to email you a sammich... :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i'd definitely make great use of the toaster oven and microwave. Steamed vegetables as already said are a great suggestion, just liked baked potatoes. High carb maybe, but very low in fat. A lot of lean meat can also be made in the toaster oven, i do it all the time at home. Especially chicken breast works well like that.

And don't forget salads, with some lettuce and other ingredients that you usually eat raw in a salad anyway, you got a lot of choice.
  • AllyV0621
    AllyV0621 Posts: 81
    Options
    thanks for all the great ideas!!!!! you guys helped a lot.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I would cook some meals in advance and put them in the freezer in disposable tin trays. Then that week you can just take them out and put them in the oven to reheat.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    thrift stores always have cookware for cheap