Healthy Fat question

Options
If monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat is good for you why does MFP list is as bad? It says to have 0 grams. I don't understand.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    MFP is not up to date with the science.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat is good for you why does MFP list is as bad? It says to have 0 grams. I don't understand.

Not sure where it list it as bad, but 0 is the default you have to change it.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1599939-nutrition-101-fats
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    dont worry about the fat till you get to your goal unless your doc told you other wise..
  • dianalg1982
    dianalg1982 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found it odd that saturated fat was set to like 55 but the others at 0 lol
    It should be the other way around haha
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It shows up as 0 because there's no goal/limit set. If you want a specific goal, set your own. What it is supposed to mean is that there's no specific max, but of course it's confusing. Supposedly they are looking into fixing it but it seems to be taking a ridiculous amount of time.

Don't know how you get 55 g for sat fat--do you have a high calorie limit? Mine seems to be at 21.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It shows up as 0 because there's no goal/limit set. If you want a specific goal, set your own. What it is supposed to mean is that there's no specific max, but of course it's confusing. Supposedly they are looking into fixing it but it seems to be taking a ridiculous amount of time.

Don't know how you get 55 g for sat fat--do you have a high calorie limit? Mine seems to be at 21.

OP probably change the macro to be higher for fat.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

There is no medically established RDA for these fats. There is a medically recommended upper limit for saturated fats, so the rest should be unsaturated until you hit your goal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

OP probably change the macro to be higher for fat.

My sat fat is separate from my overall fat. I set my fat macro at 55 g, but MFP has a default goal of 21 g for sat fat for me (I assume but don't know for sure that it's a percentage of calories).

As Need2 says, my reading is that anything above the sat fat limit is ideally mono or poly unsaturated fats, but I don't count it all that specifically (I monitor sat fat just to see where it is).