I Keep Burning the Rice!

Options
Equus5374
Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
I have a rice cooker/food steamer, and no matter what I do, I keep burning the rice or quinoa. As far as I know, I'm adding the correct amount of water. I usually cook about 1/4 cup of rice or quinoa at a time. It's supposed to be one of those "set it and forget it" things, so why does it burn? I've tried spraying the bottom of the cooker and adding EVOO, but nothing helps.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have one that cooks the rice ok, but the "warm" function will burn the bottom. I just have to pay attention and when it switches from "cook" to "warm" I turn it off.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Mine does also. I have to constantly stir it
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression a rice cooker was for larger qty's of rice?

You could just put 1/4 cup rice with 1/2 cup water in a regular pan, bring to a boil, cover, reduce to a simmer and let sit until done (about 15mins depending on preference). Won't burn.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Get rid of the rice cooker. I use a one quart sauce pan and I've never burnt my rice.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love my rice cooker, but I've never used it for less than 1 cup at a time. You can just freeze the rest in single sized freezer bags. Or, look into baking it - also I find the type of rice makes a difference. I buy from my local Asian supermarket - usually basmati or jasmine
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the stove-top method. Perhaps it's not made for small quantities.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I love my rice cooker, but I've never used it for less than 1 cup at a time. You can just freeze the rest in single sized freezer bags. Or, look into baking it - also I find the type of rice makes a difference. I buy from my local Asian supermarket - usually basmati or jasmine

Basmati is my favorite!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    I was under the impression a rice cooker was for larger qty's of rice?

You could just put 1/4 cup rice with 1/2 cup water in a regular pan, bring to a boil, cover, reduce to a simmer and let sit until done (about 15mins depending on preference). Won't burn.
    THIS. A rice cooker usually is used to cook 2 cups of rice or more. Anything less WILL results in burning.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I use a pan on my stovetop, but I have been eyeing rice cookers.... maybe they arent such a good idea after all!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I microwave my rice.
  • Nancy33333
    Nancy33333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had a fairly basic rice cooker, for many years. Generally, I'd cook one cup of rice, and the bottom would burn/stick, so I'd lose about a third of what I cooked. Recently I bought a fuzzy logic one--this is really nice, and nothing sticks or burns. But I've never cooked less than a cup. So if you want to use the rice cooker, perhaps the suggestion that you freeze leftovers, or plan then into meals later in the week, might work. And yes, stovetop works too. I just prefer to start it and walk away.
  • Flamingogirlcindy
    Flamingogirlcindy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Microwave, perfect every time. 1/4 cup rice, 1/2 cup water plus 1 tblsp. Cover tightly, 6 minutes on high, 9 to 10 minutes on medium. Let stand for 5 minutes, then enjoy.
  • taraskylit
    taraskylit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not enough rice :(
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I think I'm guilty of not adding enough rice then also! I never knew it was for larger quantity. :-)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I have a smaller rice cooker (I think it's 8 cups max?) and it does fine with 1 cup. My fiance's however, does not. It always burns and sticks on bottom. I think it's just the way it's made. I got lucky with a good one.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you're burning your rice in a rice cooker, your portion is too small. I'd suggest doing a bigger portion and freezing some, or getting a smaller cooker. You can get ones that cook as little as 2-4 cups.

A decent heavy based saucepan with a lid will work just as well, you just can't set it and come back an hour later
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

Basmati is my favorite!
    Same here - I usually make extra, portion it out in ziplocs and freeze them. Easy to toss into some chicken and pinto or black beans, top with cheese, avocado & salsa - nearly instant burrito bowl!

And Basmati is my favorite too, but so much more expensive! :disappointed: