What to do with dried lentils and split peas?!

Options
sclause
sclause Posts: 86 Member
edited May 2015 in Recipes
I have bags of dried lentils, spit peas and black beans in my kitchen cupboard. I'm not sure what to do with them, besides the same ol soups I make. Anyone have any kick butt recipes to share? I don't really do meats, I have a severe intolerance to any sort of red meat. I do have chicken and can use chicken broth. Money is super tight this month, I've only got 30 bucks for food till June. Oh the joy of being in college! So I'm trying figure out some super low cost but still healthy and tasty recipes.

Replies

• icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    We had this at the weekend: http://herbivoracious.com/2007/10/recipe-mujadara.html
    I chucked in some thickly sliced red cabbage with the onions which was still a bit crunchy when I served, and made it a bit more lentil heavy than rice, and it was glorious.

I love black beans with mixed vegetables or salad for work lunches. :) Just cook to instructions then mix it all up with a dressing or sauce.
  • sclause
    Options
    icck wrote: »
    This looks amazing!!!! I'm totally making this tonight, I love middle eastern food
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love Daal! I don't have a recipe, because I tend to google it and make whichever one looks good!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I love dal too - This is my favorite dal recipe because it uses cauliflower too. Freezes great in portions!

Budgetbytes has a bunch of lentil dishes including tacos and sloppy joes.

Lentil+Tacos+close.jpg

You can even make split peas into burgers!

May-9-Grilled-Split-Pea-Vegetarian-Burger-Recipe.jpg
  • langababy
    langababy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This recipe for lentil chili is a good starting place - it makes a lot of food (even more if you add some black beans - yum!) and freezes well if you don't want to eat it every day for a week. I like my chili spicy, so I added some extra chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, and a jalapeno.
    http://www.littlebroken.com/2014/10/14/lentil-chili/

• jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Lentil loaf. Vegetarian meatloaf. Really good!

http://www.food.com/recipe/really-good-vegetarian-meatloaf-really-33921
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I did a very yummy warm lentil salad on a bed of arugula, with sauteed portabella mushrooms, and goat cheese, once.

Now that I think of it, I'll do that this weekend.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Lentil soup, lentil cakes, lentil mixed with ground meat for tacos, lentils and fish, etc
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I put a hunk of smoked meat (pork, turkey) and let em simmer in a pot all day.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I make soup with it. Lentils, chicken sausage, chicken broth, let it simmer for an hour or two, then I purée cooked carrots, cauliflower, and zucchini and add it in - makes it thicker and adds veggies that you can't taste. I let it cook another 1/2 hour with the veggies.
  • sclause
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I can't wait to try some of these!!!
  • AndreaLS687
    AndreaLS687 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i love Budget Bytes lentil taco recipe. OhMyVeggies.com has a great recipe for black bean flauntas
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    What kind of lentils? Red? Brown? Green?
  • sclause
    Options
    barneygood wrote: »
    What kind of lentils? Red? Brown? Green?
    I have a big bag of brown lentils, but depending on the recipe I'll pick up whatever type is called.
  • miahh
    miahh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use brown lentils and love this recipe for lentil soup. http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/01/chunky-lentil-vegetable-soup/

I cut down on the oil that it called for by a lot (I think I use 0.5 tablespoon). My recipe made 9 servings of soup of 3/4-1 cup each (depends on water/broth added). I eat 2 servings at a time for around ~350 calories with 20 grams protein and lots of fiber. I never get hungry in the afternoon when I eat it for lunch.
  • amspmfp
    amspmfp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    You can make a great split pea soup with chicken stock and chicken. That is how I always make it. Season with some marjoram salt and pepper, add in a few diced carrots, and you have a great meal.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

(DebzNuDa) Lentil with Sweet Potato Soup

Servings 4
    calories per serving 310

16 Ingredients

• 140.00 grams (1/4 cup), dry, Lentils (Red), Dry
    • 2.00 Tbsp (15ml), Classico Olive Oil Mild Taste
    • 8.00 g, Ginger Paste
    • 5.99 g (3 cloves), Garlic, Raw
    • 50.00 g, Raw Chopped Scallions
    • 1.00 tbsp, Spices-curry Powder
    • 6.00 oz(85g), Petite Baby Carrots
    • 200.00 g, Sweet Potato - Raw, Peeled
    • 0.67 cup, Lite Coconut Milk (Correct Nutritionals)
    • 0.90 cup (121g), Hunts Petite Diced Tomatoes 100% Natural
    • 4.00 cup, Water
    • 1.00 pepper (14g), Jalapeno Pepper, Raw
    • 100.00 g, Spinich, Raw 100g
    • 1.00 whole Lime, Whole Lime, Raw
    • 2.40 grams (1/4 tsp), Coarse Kosher Salt
    • 0.50 tsp (2g), Pure Ground Black Pepper

Nutrition Facts

Servings 4.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 310
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 11 g 16 %
    Saturated Fat 3 g 15 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 753 mg 31 %
    Potassium 498 mg 14 %
    Total Carbohydrate 45 g 15 %
    Dietary Fiber 10 g 39 %
    Sugars 10 g
    Protein 13 g 26 %

I throw them into the freezer with 4 Zip Lock bags. Grab 1 and throw it into the microwave. Add a little Naan and very filling and yummy.

BLACK BEANS
    Also, I use black beans in tacos instead of meat most time.
  • sclause
    edited May 2015
    Options
    i love Budget Bytes lentil taco recipe. OhMyVeggies.com has a great recipe for black bean flauntas

I made the back bean flautas only used homemade refried black beans from dried instead of canned. Thanks for sharing! I made a big batch and froze them too, so much healthier and tastier than store bought frozen ones!