Vegans!

Options
Looking for other vegans on here to share recipes with and things of the sort.

Replies

• Huppdiwupp
    Huppdiwupp Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Fellow vegan here! Although I'm perhaps not the best person to ask about recipes; I eat embarrassingly simple most of the time. My current favourites are wholemeal wraps stuffed full with copious amounts of salad leaves, chopped carrots, baby leaf spinach, sprouts, kelp or hummus, etc. Any favourite recipe you have to share?
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    While I am not vegan, I do try to adopt a few vegan recipes throughout the week to mix things up. Pinerest has a great selection of recipes.
  • JBaby11113
    Options
    Im vegetarian but many times I end up eating mainly vegan anyway lol. I am on a raw diet right now for a few weeks to detox a little from all the cheese I was eating =( I want new recipes too!
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vegan-red-lentil-soup/detail.aspx

This is my favorite vegan recipe to date: Here are the changes I made:
    1. Use a sweet potato instead of butternut squash
    2. Add curry to taste. I probably put 1-2 TBS because I'm a curry freak.
    3. I really like jalapenos in this for spice, as I don't care for cayenne.
    4. I pour in the whole thing of coconut milk.
    5. I don't have fennel, so I didn't put that in.

Just make sure you taste this as you go to get the flavor right.

You can eat this alone or put it over rice/quinoa/amaranth/etc.
  • Glowiie1
    Options
    Another fav of mine is quinoa salad. You can put dang near anything in it, so I'll give you my 5 favorite ingredients to start, and suggest a few others at the bottom:

1-2 cups cooked quinoa
    1/2 cup red grapes sliced (not required, but otherwise they fall off my spoon)
    1/2 cup kalamata olives
    some green onions. I just grab a bunch, chop it up, and throw it all in.
    1/2 cup corn.
    Balsamic to taste.

Shake it all together and refrigerate. Eat whenever it's cool enough for you to enjoy. I recommend adding the balsamic WHEN you're eating, not in advance. It has a tendency to make everything mushy, but it's still edible.This makes several servings that you can portion out and keep in the fridge for an easy snack/meal.

If you're vegetarian rather than vegan, I highly recommend feta cheese.
    Other things I've thrown in there:
    green beans
    peas
    carrots
    bell pepper chunks
    sauteed onions (chilled)
    roasted garlic (love this one!)
    Black beans
    Chickpeas

Enjoy!
  • Glowiie1
    Options
    This is my second favorite recipe of all time:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hungarian-mushroom-soup/detail.aspx

I used almond milk rather than regular (I can never taste the almond anyway), and I (immersion) blend silken tofu with some veg bullion in place of the sour cream. Again, season this to taste. Everyone that tries it asks for the recipe. It has a completely unique flavor to it, so if you want to spice things up, definitely go with this one! Plus, you'll notice that you can have a ton of it because it's light on calories. That always makes me happy. I hate it when I only get 1/2 or 1 cup of something at a meal ;)
  • vrawnks
    vrawnks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My favorite has to be buffalo seitan! I use a recipe i found on vegetarian times and tweak it with a recipe i found for buffalo cauliflower.

I use basically this recipe for the seitan, though i skip over the onions and garlic, add more garlic powder, and to compensate add 2-3 more tablespoons of liquid. (You can replace soy with red sauce if you wish)

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/homemade-seitan/

Then, after that is boiled and cut up into nugget sized pieces, I will batter them using a very simple batter made of flour, garlic and onion powder, pepper, salt, and add water until it is just soupy enough to coat the seitan.

Then I pop it in the oven on 400 for 10 minutes on a lined and sprayed cookie sheet

Then after i sautee it in a large pot with a few tablespoons of earth balance, a big huge squeeze of sriracha, a dash apple cider vinegar and soy sauce and a sprinkling of garlic powder.

My boyfriend goes nuts over this and it is a very high protein meal starter. My only complaint is that it doesn't last us longer than a few days!
  • bluecheesesticks
    bluecheesesticks Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I make this all the time! Delicious and nutrient dense, it will give you loads of energy! Tastes amazing. Super flavorful. http://nativesunjax.com/recipes/raw-power/