Favorite Shoes for in the gym?

Options
CChilders1
CChilders1 Posts: 7 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey All - Looking for some recommendations on footwear for in the gym. My current shoes are at end of life and thought I would ask a knowledgeable group of folks if they had preferences.

Me: Male
Program: SL 5x5 Modified to 3x5 while eating at deficit.

wgotkyfiv6w5n9safjis.jpg

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i wear converse chucks when i deadlift and squat, good running shoes for cardio and bench.
  • nancypnurse
    nancypnurse Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting fitted at a professional running/sports store. Look for individual/small chain stores for the most knowledgeable service..... sounds pricey, but I really haven't seen much of a difference between buying them there and buying them somewhere else.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I got adidas powerlift 2.0s for xmas and I like them quite a bit.

2291394-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    going the cheaper route - I would suggest chuck taylors and running shoes. More expensive - Go with a pair of Nike Romaleo 2's for squats, chucks for deadlifts, and whatever you like for the rest!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    going the cheaper route - I would suggest chuck taylors and running shoes. More expensive - Go with a pair of Nike Romaleo 2's for squats, chucks for deadlifts, and whatever you like for the rest!
    I looked at chucks online and they were almost the same price as the powerlift 2s, so I don't think I'd call them 'cheap'
  • CChilders1
    CChilders1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good info...I've been on hiatus, but prior to that spend a lot of time in the weight room and was apparently blissfully unaware that I was wearing the incorrect footwear.

I may ease into the waters with the 2.0's
  • sunnysparkles16
    sunnysparkles16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For lifting I like Inov-8 F Lite 240s.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Inov-8's are great for cross training. Stable enough for lifts while still being good for running. If I'm deadlifting heavy singles, I'll wear an old pair of new balance minimus.

For heavy squats, cleans, or snatches I wear lifting shoes. I use Reebok Crossfit lifters because I got a pair for 60$ on sale. If money wasn't an issue, I'd go for Nike Romaleos.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Chucks for me too.
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I wear a pair of full leather shoes from an obscure German brand. They're leather, beige, with a crisscross pattern on the front that makes them look like some 80 year old man's shoes. They are flat, with a little bit of a heel lift, and once broken in, they fit my foot like a glove and provide all the support I need to lift in. There is no flex, or spring. They don't match anyone else's neon workout clothes, nor do they match my neon workout clothes. BUT I wouldn't lift in anything else. Well, that's not true. I would lift barefoot also. I tried in regular running shoes once. It was terrible. Don't do it.

I've heard good things about Chucks but you can't rip me out of my Rohde shoes for lifting. Given as they're probably 20 year old vintage shoes that I only acquired because my shoe shop has some REALLY odd stock tucked in the basement, I will be pretty sad when they go.

I don't do 'crossfit shoes'. You need something very different for running. So I have running shoes for if I want to run, and lifting shoes for my lifting. Well, they're not lifting shoes. But they work pretty great for it. I haven't found anything else comparable for the support.
  • JTB51
    JTB51 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I recomend asics
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Chucks or wrestling shoes for lifting.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Chucks
  • bloodsy
    bloodsy Posts: 34 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Chucks/Anything with a solid flat sole for Powerlifting

Adidas (Power Perfect 2/adiPower) or Nike (Romaleos 2) or anything with a raised heel for Olympic Lifting
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    cant be seen wearing anything but Vans...
  • arian10daddy
    arian10daddy Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I am currently using Fila Tennis shoes for the gym. The reasons,
    the shoes are tough and sturdy,
    can manage jerk motions obviously because of the game in reference,
    Are flat enough and curved enough at the same time,
    Awesome comfort,
    good enough ventilation,
    great cushiony sole...

But that's my taste

Here is similar to what I bought:
    http://www.jabong.com/Fila-Court-Mate-White-Tennis-Shoes-686193.html
  • HirnKhan
    HirnKhan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I wear ADIDAS Handball Special
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Definitely chucks, also got a pair of Nike Janoskis which feel pretty good for deadlifts.
  • _m0lly
    _m0lly Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Nike air max 90s. They are doing me well :blush: