Hybrid Bicycles

Options
It has been years since I bought a bicycle or have even looked at them. I do have a bike in the storage shed that I am going to get out but if it doesn't fit me properly I am going to be looking for something new.

I was in WalMart and saw these Hybrid Bicycles. I did a quick search on it and it says that it's a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike. It's good for commuting and riding on the streets. I wouldn't be using the bike for commuting but I also don't see myself riding trails with the bike.

What has your experience been with a hybrid bike?

Replies

• infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Suggest defining what kind of riding you will be doing and tailoring your bike selection based on that.

I have an OLD road bike. It fits me fine, with the exception of the seat, which is a problem for many women (regardless of size). Find a comfortable saddle on the right type of bike, work with a bike shop to make sure it's adjusted properly, and off you go!

Good luck.
  • redtrain
    redtrain Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    my spelling is atrocious

bicycles.... i got some knowledge

most bicycle will comfortably support up to 280 lbs.

Hybrids generaly are going to function as mountainbikes but you sit in a more upright comfortable position.

most true hybrids have 700 cc tires. larger than standard MTB but wider (which is good) than road bikes.

be leary of any bike baught from a big box department store. yes the price is way better than a Local Bike store but the
    bikes are much heavier......which is fine but the main problem lies in assembly, A 19 year old kid making minnimum wage who hs no experience will most likely be the mechanic. Always check after you bring it home that every thing is put together well.

other advice on hybrids........ Stay away from wal-mart. Target sells a schwinn Hybrid that is a nice starter bike. they have mens and ladies versions. also pay close attention to the sizes..
    people often dont realize but bikes are not one size fits all. at the store just under the seats you will find a size. hybrids are usualy S M L or XL. you should be able to stand over top of the bicycle with both feet flat on the ground. your crotch should just touch the flat bar take or give an inch.

lots of info if you need more let me know.
  • routsongk
    routsongk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about cycling, I suggest bypassing the big-box stores (and your garage) and going to a bike shop. Yes, you'll pay more for a bike at the bike shop, but believe me, you'll be much happier with the bike, and as a result will ride more. There just isn't any comparison to the bikes sold at box stores and the bikes sold at bike stores. Not only that, but you get the benefit of years of expertise -- They will help you find the right bike for you.

As for me, I started riding again last year, and as I suggested above, I went to a bike shop. Based on my riding preferences -- mostly riding on bike trails -- I was fitted with a hybrid bike. I LOVED THAT BIKE! I rode hundreds of miles on it. Because of that bike, I fell in love with cycling. This year, I bought a road bike and have ventured out beyond the confines of the bike trails. It is such a liberating feeling to get out there on the open road! In the past month, I've ridden 500 miles -- I'm in training for an organized 2-day 150 mile group ride at the end of June.

Yesterday, I rode 63 miles, and the day before, 50. And you know what the icing on the cake is? I burned a bajillion calories doing it and it was SO MUCH FUN! I hope you get a bike, and I hope you love it as much as I love mine. Good luck!
  • nadiambe13
    nadiambe13 Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm an avid cyclist, and will tell you that based on my experience, bikes from Walmart and Target aren't the greatest quality if you're going to be riding often. (I commute to work on mine, roughly 3 miles each way, and to get around town or just ride through the park, usually not more than 50-60 miles per week). I learned the hard way that my weight + poor bike quality + poor road quality = lot of repairs, especially to the wheel and tires, and even though I learned to fix flats myself, the expense adds up!!

I'm currently in the market for a hybrid bike (to replace my Target bought bike), because hybrids are the most versatile. It'll allow you to go faster than a mountain bike would, but have thicker tires than a road/racing bike. Should you ever opt to commute or do errands, it'll be there. Additionally, it'll be good on paths that are paved and packed earth. It really combines the best features of road/racing and mountain bikes, and allows you a great deal of versatility.

If you think you're going to do a lot of riding, I'd invest in a bike from a bike shop, although I know budgetary concerns can sometimes be a hurdle. But they'll often work with you on price, showing you options that fit in your budget range. Or, after doing some research, scope out your area Craigslist and yard sales for a used bike. You can bring it to your bike shop for a tune up, or take a bike maintenance course (which I recommend regardless of where you bought your bike), and get it up and going. But finding a credible, reliable bike shop can be the greatest resource for a new rider. Another alternative is if your town/city has a bike rescue, where they retrofit, and repair old bikes that are donated. There you'll find a community of other cyclists who can help you, and also they're a resource where you can purchase a "new" used bike, that has been repaired and restored. They're also a place where you can learn how to maintain a new bike, as I've found bike rescues hold workshops.

And just as infosynth said, fit is important. Not only do you want a comfortable saddle, but your bike has to be adjusted to the right height or you'll risk injuring yourself. I speak from experience on this point, having really injured my knee when I started riding regularly.

Good luck! Cycling is a great way to stay/get in shape, as well as get around town, or just have a pleasant afternoon going through the park!
  • Winged_Victory
    Options
    I have a Trek hybrid bike (in storage at the moment due to my temporary relocation for work) and I LOVE it!! I only road it on roads, but I believe it could have handled some light trails off road as well.

I went to a bike shop in town and test road some bikes. When I went in, I thought I would get a cruiser, but I did not care for riding them once I tried a couple out. The salesman recommended I try a hybrid bike and I test road a few of those before I found mine. I really miss having my bike with me.
  • ghostmumm
    ghostmumm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a hybrid -- it's fine, and is probably a good choice for a casual weekend biker, or if you're going to be dealing with any kind of traffic, even in the neighborhood (stop and go). Sitting position's more comfortable, tires a little more sturdy for potholes etc, you don't have to deal with toe clips which are especially hard if you have a lot of stop lights. etc. But I agree that the most important thing is comfort. Getting the right seat and the right height for the seat is critical.

You might also want to consider how much you're going to be hauling the bike physically (whether you've got to get it on a roof rack etc), as there's a lot of variation. Heavier bikes are more stable on the road, but I chose a lighter frame because I had to haul it up several flights of stairs.

I'm not sure if I personally would buy a bike at Walmart. I find that for bikes it's nice to have someone at a local shop who knows them well and can make good recommendations, help you adjust the bike, and probably (ask) give you some free ongoing support in the early weeks in case you're having any problems with chains slipping etc. It will cost more of course -- to me it was worth it.
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice. We do have a local bike shop. I haven't been in it but if I do decide to get a new bike I will definitely go there.

I try not to buy a lot from WalMart but I was in the store and just looking around. The bikes didn't seem to be what I was look for. They seemed to be poor quality and just a ton of bikes put together and thrown on a rack.
  • BodyByBrusselSprouts
    BodyByBrusselSprouts Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My bike is a flat bar road bike which is kind of like a hybrid between a hybrid and a road bike. I got it on ebay for $100. It is light and great on the pavement yet tough enough to handle mild off road stuff. I just put bigger tougher tires on it so I would get fewer flats. But I love it. Mine is a Marin Fairfax, and I try to commute to work a few times a week (28 miles round trip). There are lots of other brands that are good.

The most important thing is to find out what size bike fits you best. A good local bike shop can help with that. Then if you are not going to buy new from them (a decent new hybrid probably starts at around $400), check the craigslist and ebay ads and sales. This is probably the hardest time of year to find a good used bike, but they are out there. Then once you get the bike, bring it in to the shop that was nice enough to help you find your size and have them give it a tune up so it will ride like new. The tune-up will cost you $50-75 but it is worth it.

Dave
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have a GIANT (don't know if they have that brand where you are) Hybrid and I have had it for 15 years! I do mostly commute in /through the city, but I also ride whenever possible on trails, through the woods, and out of the city. I also suggest buying from a bike shop to tell them specifically what you are looking for in a bike. Here in the Netherlands we cycle pretty much everywhere, so this bike was (and still is) perfect for me.

May sound silly but you may want to also invest in a good gel seat (and depending on how much/where you ride some actual biking shorts/pants) and bike gloves. Yes, even for amateurs, bike gloves protect against the harsh vibrations whilst riding and can also slightly protect you more if you fall.
  • mnlawgirl
    mnlawgirl Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello
    I have a Trek hybrid and I love it. I went to my local bike shop and paid about 500.00. It was well worth it. I have taken it on several long (25 mile) rides and it worked great. I just picked it up from the bike shop yesterday, it needed its yearly tune up. Now its road ready. I would not buy a bike at Target or Walmart. In the end it will not last you.

Have fun!