All singing and dancing scales v bog standard weighing scales

Options
Lola2248
Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
I need to get a new scales, and am trying to decide which one.

Do I spend the extra to get one which also does BMI, memorises what I weighed before?
Or just get one that says this is what you weigh?

What do you have?
Do you find the extra information helpful?
Or do you ignore it?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I just got a good digital scale that doesn't do anything but weigh me accurately. I keep track of my weight here, so I don't need a scale to do that. I also use this site to calculate my BMI once a week.

So you really don't need a fancy-schmancy scale, but go for it if motivates you more. :)
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use an all-singing, all-dancing one. Well, it more hums and "dad dances" than anything really...
    But, it logs composition; water, bone density, muscle and fat.
    Even the manufacturers say that these extra data aren't 100% accurate, and that they're more useful for monitoring trends. But, being a bit of a geek, I like plotting the values and it keeps me interested.
    So, I'd say, whatever works best for you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I just got a good digital scale that doesn't do anything but weigh me accurately. I keep track of my weight here, so I don't need a scale to do that. I also use this site to calculate my BMI once a week.

So you really don't need a fancy-schmancy scale, but go for it if motivates you more. :)

this...my scale gives me my weight. Most scales that claim to give anything other than weight is probably not that accurate anyway.
  • a5972s
    a5972s Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Scales give a numeric value that represents your relationship with gravity and that's all. They are so counter productive...How many times have you jumped on some scales only to find that despite your best efforts, you've gained weight? When in reality its probably just an accumulation of water that has bound to carbohydrates to create the excess in weight.

Ditch the scales and instead takes measurements once a week with a tape measure and use the mirror as a visual aid instead.

BMI is pretty useless too. Arnold Schwarzenegger when we won Mr Olympia has a BMI of 37 which would put him in the obese zone and he was far from that!

Andy Smith - Performance Nutritionist
  • snickerscharlie
    edited May 2015
    Options
    a5972s wrote: »
    Scales give a numeric value that represents your relationship with gravity and that's all. They are so counter productive...How many times have you jumped on some scales only to find that despite your best efforts, you've gained weight? When in reality its probably just an accumulation of water that has bound to carbohydrates to create the excess in weight.

Ditch the scales and instead takes measurements once a week with a tape measure and use the mirror as a visual aid instead.

BMI is pretty useless too. Arnold Schwarzenegger when we won Mr Olympia has a BMI of 37 which would put him in the obese zone and he was far from that!

Andy Smith - Performance Nutritionist

I'm not Arnold, nor will I ever be! For the average person, I think keeping track of weight and BMI works just fine. ;)

I do agree with taking measurements, though, and do so once a month as another method to track progress. :)
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I use the standard Withings wifi scale. It doesn't measure BMI etc - most people agree that those measurements are fairly useless - but it does upload my weight each day to the app (and to this site), which is pretty awesome, and it also shows graphs with trends within the app.

Personally I love it.
  • RinkaSound
    RinkaSound Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mine are digital and they memorise your previous weight, which would be useful if I didn't record my weight on here anyway. Also I'm not the only one trying to lose weight in this house, so it's never my weight on there anyway.

I find digital ones to be a lot easier to read though, and if you could get a wifi one (I don't have enough money for one, sadly) then it'll save you some recording time.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Wouldn't the wifi scales record and log the weight of *everyone* that used it? Wouldn't that get confusing? LOL.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't the wifi scales record and log the weight of *everyone* that used it? Wouldn't that get confusing? LOL.

nope, it individually recognizes up to 4 separate people. After that it logs a weight as "unknown" in which case it won't track.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options

nope, it individually recognizes up to 4 separate people. After that it logs a weight as "unknown" in which case it won't track.

Cool!

I only weigh myself once a week (Sunday mornings) because I don't want to get that hung up on the day-to-day fluctuations. So for me, logging my weight once a week is no biggie. But for someone who likes to track it every day, it could be useful!