Stretch Mark Help! Who else has had problems with stretch marks?

Options
I use to be very active on this site but it has been a while and I cannot remember my log in so I made a new account to ask a question. Lol anyways! I need some opinions here please.

I have lost over 70 pounds and have kept it off for almost a full year!

I know for a fact I have thin and sensitive skin, it's genetic. I've always had skin issues. Plus I've lost a lot of weight. I'm also very pale, maybe that has something to do with it? Well there's a big problem I'm having - and that's stretch marks :neutral:

I got them when I gained and lost weight. I understand that it's normal to get them, but I have gotten them very very badly, in many areas. In certain areas they are very big and very deep. They are on my back, my thighs, my hips, my boobs, you name an area of my body and I have them. It's frustrating to me. And what bothers me the most is the fact that you can't completely get rid of them. I know they will fade in time, but they are all over my body and it has been quite discouraging.

My skin is pretty unpredictable, I could wake up tomorrow and find a new set of stretch marks somewhere even though I've maintained my weight. I've gotten them even though I have maintained my weight for a while now. I joke with my friends that I'm a walking stretch mark.

I'm just not happy that I've gotten so many. They are very big, and red. ugh, Lol. I hate the fact that I will have so many scars on my body for the rest of my life. Even though they fade, they're still noticeable. Some of my guy friends have told me stretch marks are a turn off. I admit they do make me feel insecure at times.

Has anyone else had a big problem with stretch marks? Do they bother you? Do they bother your partner? Is there any proven way to prevent them?

Replies

• niajones95
    niajones95 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi! :)
    I also have stretch marks, most noticably on my stomach but I also have them on my thighs, arms, boobs, and I think a little bit on my bum too. Luckily you're pale like I am, when I was younger (About fourteen or fifteen) They were very purple/pink and I hated them sooo much so I used bio oil for a bit but I think I forgot to use it so I haven't used it for years but the marks have gradually faded and are actually not very noticable anymore.

I can still see them, especially in certain lighting where the marks show up but I've grown not to care. I mean, I'd love to know what it's like to not have stretch marks on my body but they're here and they're also very common! I knew someone who had big stretch marks up his back due to him growing too fast.

I've heard that some people use bio oil or coconut oil to help prevent them if you care to try it, but love your body for what it is, it's hard some days but you'll be fine! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I got them 14 years ago when I suddenly gained weight again. They won't go away, but yes they do fade... Honestly they don't really bother me anymore, I figured there is nothing I can do about them anyway.
  • Fatgirlontheloose
    Fatgirlontheloose Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too and actually talked to my obgyn (just had a baby) about it. There's no way to erase, only ways to make them lighter. She was saying there's a prescription lotion that can speed up the lightening process, but otherwise there's not much you can do. She was against any of the oils/creams sold in stores because they are just a waste of money
  • wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've heard of some pretty big leaps in laser removal for stretch marks. It's not going to be 100% like it was, but lasers can do it!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You will have them for the rest of your life. The good news is they will fade until they are pretty much the color of the rest of your skin, except they won't really tan. They do shrink up a little.
    Sorry, it's just nature. Skin only stretches so far and then it tears, showing the stress in stretch marks. There's nothing you can do once you have them. Like cellulite, lots of people have them. I have both. It's just part of my body, I don't worry about either one. All part of who I am.