Can feet shrink?

Options
This sounds silly, I know, but I swear my feet have shrunk. I used to wear a size 7 and now a size 5. Is this normal?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this before but I guess it's possible.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes they can...
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I actually noticed I went from an 8.5 to a 7.5 when I was shoe shopping for my friends wedding. I had bought the 8.5 and they fit....then I lost a whole bunch of weight and were too big so I had to get the same shoe in a size smaller. When you lose weight, your body pulls it from where ever so I guess it would make sense that you would lose weight in your feet.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    My cousin's wife lost ~130lbs. She now wears shoes that are two sizes smaller! Same as her rings went down too.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I lost a half a size and a width over the course of losing 80 lbs.

2 sizes doesn't seem plausible, though. Is it consistent - all brands/types are down 2 sizes? Perhaps it's a case that the 7 was a small 7 and the 5 is a large 5. Manufacturing tolerances allow for some wiggle room (yes, that was on purpose, and I am indeed sorry). Also, different brands may size slightly different.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Uh, I was about to say, "Yeah of course, I went from a 7 to a 6" but two sizes is quite a bit. I tend to find, like clothes, the sizes vary from shop to shop and brand to brand. Maybe this is happening?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Yes.... I went from a European 40/41 to a 38/39.

I think there's a few reasons - carrying less weight, less fluid retention, less fat....
  • lizfischer4
    lizfischer4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes! That's a pretty dramatic change, but when my husband (who had flat feet his whole life) changed to a lightweight workout shoe, his arch developed and he lost a half size.
  • wandadars
    wandadars Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes. I went down almost 2 shoe sizes.

Edit: Of course the bones aren't shrinking, but the material that surrounds them seems to reduce in size.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yep! fat is stored everywhere head to toe... lose the fat, lose the weight, lose the inches!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Yes. My friend drooped 1 1/2 sizes and had to get all new shoes!
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    huh....had no idea lol
  • toyarj
    toyarj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am happy to hear this. My sister and I thought we were crazy because we now wear one size smaller in shoes
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I really didn't think you could lose weight from your feet... oh well, a loss is a loss
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yup. Lost a full size losing 80lbs.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I went down a full shoe size after losing only 40 lbs (7-7.5 down to 6-6.5). I was so surprised! I expected my fingers to get smaller, but for some reason I didn't consider my feet having that much fat. I had to give away a bunch of heels because they were so loose.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Yes. And my shoes are starting to get roomy. My husband is going to freak out.

I NEED expensive shoes. I don't have a shoe habit, just ... really messed up joints in my feet, knees, and hips. There's only one brand that feels good on my feet, and they're PRICEY.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Less swelling from moving all that weight. It makes sense to me.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Mine go from 10 (US) to 11.5 during the course of a 4 month training cycle (on the order of 700 to 900 miles run), and then shrink back down in the 2 or 3 months I take off between cycles.

Yo-yo shoe sizing is a thing.

At least for me.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I went from a 9 to a 8, sometimes a 8.5 with 45lbs lost (and down from a wide width to a normal). Its possible with a large weight loss to drop a size or so in shoes.