Why no legs/squatting in commercial gyms?

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Why does OP care about what others do in the gym unless it's dangerous?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Wow . Where are you? I'm at the Jersey shore, and I see men working legs and squatting all the time.

I'm on the Jersey shore, as well. I rotate between 3 different locations within the same chain of commercial gym and see people doing full range or Rippetoe depth squats all the time. Granted, there will always be plenty of people that don't go full range.

On leg day, I go to the location with a squat rack, squat cage, and two smith machines and I rarely have to wait for the rack or cage. As soon as I finish, someone always jumps on it.

Same here. I go to tilton and they also have 3 locations in this area.I've been to each depending on where I'm working that day. I see full range squatting often down here.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I've actually noticed this where I work out as well.

I'm not complaining - I have never once had to wait for the power rack, and have in fact never seen evidence that anyone else uses it.

There's one dude who's been at the gym every single time I've gone, and he's obviously training lower body somehow. You can admire the results even when he's wearing sweatpants :blush: His leg days must be on my off days.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I rarely see anyone using the power rack to actually squat in my gym. I suppose that I'm not complaining, because that means that it's usually open when I need to use it. Fortunately, the people I do see squat seem to do them properly.

The flat benches (there are three of them versus one power rack) are popular, as is the cable machine. People also seem to prefer the Smith machine for OHP and incline bench (lame).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I lift in a commercial gym here in CT. Of all the guys I've seen squat - quite a few - I only know of two that don't go to at least parallel. There's a couple of women that don't get to parallel, but almost all of the guys I've seen do.

What I tend to see is only a handful of guys benching properly - butts up off the bench and/or only 1/2 ROM, mostly.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Lots of people don't want to work legs because it is hard. My gym has 2 power racks and a deadlift platform that would be st home in a NFL weight room plus another bit lesser buy still good power rack. More people are hanging out in front of the dumbbell rack doing curls than doing leg work. Which is fine, saves the equipment power racks for me.

The people that are doing leg stuff tend to work pretty hard at it.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,474 Member
    Options
    Can I lift where you do OP? I hate waiting for the squat racks/power cage. Too many guys squat here...
  • tshuk00
    tshuk00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is also really dependent on what type of gym you go to. Chain commercial gyms have less people dedicated to seriously lifting in general than smaller local gyms that are more lifting focused. That's not to say you don't see people lifting, but seeing people doing traditional power or Olympic style weightlifting isn't as common. Many of those gyms don't even have the adequate equipment to do so, or not enough for several people to lift at once.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's cause Chicago has like the best food ever and they just can't squat cause they just ate an Ann Sather Cinnamon roll or at some yummy mexican at Frontera.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    From talking to others in the gym, most of the guys that don't train legs, don't do it for these reasons:
    - It's harder. Harder to get the right movement, more taxing on the body due to larger muscle groups, more DOMS the next day (complaining about not walking comfortably for ages!)
    - Then I think there's such thing as "beach muscles" and a lot of people care about them. They want a nice upper body to show off but don't care about the lower as much, that can be hidden easier I suppose with longer shorts or something.
    - I've also actually heard guys say "girls don't care about legs" so the dudes lifting purely to attract women aren't gonna bother either. I hear women all the time talk about how attracted they are to a man's arms, his chest, his biceps, abs etc but never his legs. I usually only hear the occasional comment about a man's butt. Unless it's from a female lifter (which aren't that common unfortunately), there's not much praise for nice legs.
    - Also, some commercial gyms don't even have a squat rack. In many cases there's no demand for it. Some avoid equipment like that altogether because they want to detract away from "meatheads" (stupid I know) who potentially intimidate other gym goers, in particular, women. Women bring in a lot of money for a gym so generally they want to cater to them. I've had conversations with gym staff about how they want to bring in more female members, that they don't have that many. This means more machines, more classes, less scary free weights and the banging and clanging of big deadlifts. I don't agree with it, but it's their business and if that's how they see themselves best making money, that's how they're going to go about it.

Granted, I've seen lots of guys squat and deadlift. I go to a commercial gym that's quite decent in that sense, we have a squat rack and people definitely use it, but it's still the same crowd. A lot avoid them altogether though, still prefering to spend their time just benching and curling.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I live in the Chicago burbs and find just the opposite. Men & women go to the church of squats/deads. Pretty sure its the largest sq ft fitness place in the U.S. too where there are even shuttle buses for the far away parking. I disagree.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So you're at the gym when it opens at 5 and all the way through till it closes at 11 (or whatever hours it is?)

there will always be people who don't know - or go to hard with poor form .it happens.
    But you can't possible say "no one does legs in a commerical gym"

I worked at a LA Fit and saw equal parts good lifting and equal parts bad/improper/half a!! lifting.

some people do the leg thing- some people don't.

broad stroke paintbrushes just are not as effective as you think.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the gym. I have been to gyms that are nothing but benches and power racks, and some gyms that have the single dusty rack in the corner. Also, a lot of powerlifters won't go much deeper than parallel. You don't get bonus points for ATG in powerlifting.
  • VCFernandez13
    VCFernandez13 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A lot of men, just like to work their upper body to show off for women and they forget about the most important day... Leg day
  • conoroneill94
    conoroneill94 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I squat but not full depth like that vid cause i'd rather not wreck my knees. In most scenarios nobody can see your legs anyway so if you lift for aesthetical purposes (like me) there's not really any point trying to squat to a depth that is more purposeful for strength training.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I squat but not full depth like that vid cause i'd rather not wreck my knees. In most scenarios nobody can see your legs anyway so if you lift for aesthetical purposes (like me) there's not really any point trying to squat to a depth that is more purposeful for strength training.

Stopping at or above parallel for many people can actually put more stress on the knees, compared to going deeper, where the strain comes off them. It's a perfectly natural movement to squat to depth and performed correctly, you shouldn't be having any knee problems if they're otherwise healthy. Especially if you're not making squats and heavy lifting your whole life/career.

If they're not healthy, and you already have knee problems, then that's a different issue and probably better for a professional to advise you on, but the blanket statement "deep squats wreck your knees" or similar, as a lot of people think, isn't true. It's not that simple.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

1.) stopping half way is as stressful if not more stressful than full ROM.

2.) Aesthetics go well beyond mirror muscles that you can see. Someone whose body isn't built well from poor training doesn't look good.
    Bodybuilders lift purely for aesthetics and size- guess what- they do legs.

Even though I wear pants (okay- sometimes I wear pants) you can still tell from the way I move I look good across the board because I don't just train what I can see- I train the whole body.

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I go to a commercial chain gym, and the squat racks/cages are often in use. I see guys performing amazing squats, some even ATG, most at least to horizontal. A few of them have even given me a few pointers.

As far is not squatting if it's just for aesthetic purposes ... Yes, people can see your legs even if they have pants on them. Maybe not the muscle definition, but the unbalance does show (when you have a low body fat to show the upper body definition, your legs tend to be pretty small. There's a guy at my gym who looks like Arnold from the waist up, but his legs are very small by comparison and I've never seen him do a leg exercise (he's just one guy; like I said, most do). It's very disproportionate. And beyond the look, muscle imbalance may not be so great for overall fitness, either.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to weight lifting, but my small community gym has some guys that squat and others who do not.

Personally I don't squat or work legs because I have made a plan that strengthens the muscles I need to strengthen with a particular activity in mind. Sometime down the road my goals may change and I might work on strengthening legs at that time. Maybe your goals are different than mine, and your goals require you to squat. Great for you! That doesn't explain why I should squat, though.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to weight lifting, but my small community gym has some guys that squat and others who do not.

Personally I don't squat or work legs because I have made a plan that strengthens the muscles I need to strengthen with a particular activity in mind. Sometime down the road my goals may change and I might work on strengthening legs at that time. Maybe your goals are different than mine, and your goals require you to squat. Great for you! That doesn't explain why I should squat, though.

Ok so what if I told you that squats and deadlifts can overall make you stronger. Would you want to add that to your goals?