This one is for the ladies

Options
weight loss is different for us than for men. Especially when it's that time of the month. Right before my period my motivation and mood dip down low. I notice there are times right before my period I binge. I spoke to my dr. About this and while she said binging is not healthy if it's linked to that time of month it's usually chemical. And believe it or not giving into the craving is what you need mentally and physically. So I agree with this but in moderation. Finding a balance is key. How do you deal with maintaining your weight loss and that time of the month?

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, cravings and such before. I also get very tired during. One thing my Dr said was I need Iron, so I take a supplement.

I also find that giving in a bit to cravings will work, but I have to be careful and choose small items. For me it Melted Mozzarella or Pizza. So what I did the other day, made veggies with tomato and 2oz part skim mozzarella melted on top. That satisfied the craving.

I also find that sometimes I just need to have a little extra on calories, so will a small item.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My mood dips a bit before my period, but returns to normal during, and I have never had food-related fluctuations such as cravings or increased appetite.
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ideally, trying to fit cravings in to my goals, especially by pre-logging. It definitely doesn't always work, but it helps me know what is about to happen, and I can make a choice as to if the craving is worth it.(Sometimes, it is and sometimes I'll erase it and try to have something else instead)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I always ate more just before my period, and I never worried much because I knew the minute my period started I wouldn't be hungry at all. And I never forced myself to eat then if I didn't want to.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten very good at controlling my cravings and such during that time. I get so fatigued that I just stop caring during the first 2-3 days and eat whatever I want. I keep exercising though even though I can hardly finish my workout classes without fighting the urge to cry lol. the first few days are a bad time for me :blush:
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The weird thing for me is I find I lose weight easiest the week before my period. So this is a MAJOR motivation for me to try and not binge or eat random things. It is mental for me and I have to keep reminding my self that if I want to lose weight now is the time to take advantage.

However I really don't hate myself if I do tend to trip up and pizza appears in my mouth. lol.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I've never had those symptoms but I have a friend who does. She craves chocolate badly. I told her to buy some fiber one brownies or cookies. Maybe fiber would help. Jello makes temptation pudding cups that are descent on calories. So, I say if you're going to binge try some lower calorie foods. JMO. Good luck!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...maybe that's why I've been doing a lot of late-night eating lately...just started...
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Just plan for it. I know I'm going to crave chocolate so I'll get a small amount of some really nice chocolate so it feels like a super indulgence. I also crave salty so I'll have some popcorn or chips. But just plan for it and it doesn't have to derail you.
  • healthymom1087
    healthymom1087 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Same here!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated at the hormonal weight gain. "Here's 3# because your dad gave you that bonus X chromosome and you have ovaries." It's bologna, so sometimes I just give in and eat over my TDEE as sort of a f*** you to my hormones. If I'm going to gain weight, may as well eat enough food to cause the gain.

As for cravings, I have those all the time. Nothing specific to my period.
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The thing I always find odd is I can only accurately measure my weight loss right after my period ends. I gain tons of water weight from the middle of the month all the way through the end of my period and then all of a sudden I lose a bunch of weight when it ends. I hate this part of me because I'm trying to get into a maintenance stage but I just keep losing weight every month!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I really only have 1 day where I want to eat more than normal. A couple hundred more calories on one day isn't going to hurt my progress. That is just a maintenance day.
    The rest of the time I eat at my calorie goal, get enough protein, fats, fiber, exercise, drink water, watch my sodium, take a multi vitamin, maybe eat one piece of dark chocolate.

Possibly some B vitamins, calcium or magnesium supplement could help.
    umm.edu/Health/Medical/AltMed/Condition/Premenstrual-syndrome
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    weight loss is different for us than for men. Especially when it's that time of the month. Right before my period my motivation and mood dip down low. I notice there are times right before my period I binge. I spoke to my dr. About this and while she said binging is not healthy if it's linked to that time of month it's usually chemical. And believe it or not giving into the craving is what you need mentally and physically. So I agree with this but in moderation. Finding a balance is key. How do you deal with maintaining your weight loss and that time of the month?

Just putting it out there, while the science and current research on the topic is a little all over the place, men do also have hormonal cycles (there's argument over whether the meaningful ones are more monthly, like women, or more seasonal) which can create increases/decreases in appetite, water retention, mood swings etc just like for women.

For weight loss, for every gender or distinction, it comes down to CICO.

If you know you get a bit more hungry during or leading up to your period, account for that. Either acknowledge that your body doesn't actually need the food(s) you're craving and stick within your deficit or plan to eat closer to maintenance; personally, I try to cut back on calorie dense foods during this time so that I can up the volume of food I'm eating but maintain the deficit I'm looking for. As to water weight, it's a reality of life. Annoying, yes; but fairly obvious when you jump on the scale and are 3lbs heavier that you didn't put on 3lbs of fat over night. Appeal to the logical rather than emotional side of yourself.

Speaking to the advice from OPs doctor, there is some science out there to back up giving into your cravings, to a degree. Most doctors (who actually took any of the elective nutrition based courses) will tell you however that you should be looking at your cravings to identify if it's your body actually trying to tell you that you're deficient in a micro-nutrient (especially like Iron, where your levels can drop even lower during your period).
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Focus on non-food comforts. Take a bath, take a nap, break a sweat, make yourself a cup of tea, etc. anything to make you feel comforted without food. My period symptoms change every month. Sometimes food is a problem, sometimes it's fatigue, migraines, etc. but in all of them, all I want is to feel comfy and relaxed and taken care of
  • yarushajimenez411
    yarushajimenez411 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feed back!!! It was super helpful. Women are amazing!!!
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I only crave sweets when I get close to my period. My husband says its my early warning signal. :D I found frozen yogurt is a wondeful, some what healthy way for me to squeeze in a treat. Plus I get 4oz at a time which only cost $2 at the most.

I have mood swings and feel bloated. I just take a walk and listen to music.