Brooks adrenaline or brooks glycerin

Options
Looking to buy some new running shoes. Beginner at running. I usually get bad shin splints. I have a way to get Brooks at a great deal so I want to take advantage! So, which ones?

Replies

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I run in adrenalines but I had them fitted by a professional, which is what I'd recommend that you do. Don't buy shoes that you haven't tried on, no matter how good the deal.
    A professional at a dedicated running store is worth their weight in gold. They'll measure your feet, assess your gait, and have you try on and run in a bunch of kinds of shoes.
    This process is crucial, especially for new runners who don't know their gait well.

Most stores stock brooks, so you will be able to try them on.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If your shin splints are due to over-pronating, the adrenaline model has good stability support that should help. I run with the addiction model, and they cured my shin splints.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    The Glycerin is a neutral shoe, while the Adrenaline is a support shoe. Do you over-pronate? Do you want your shoes to correct for it, if you do? I have a pair of the Glycerin. I like them pretty well. If you need (or want) to correct for a pronation issue, you might want to go with the Adrenaline.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I happen to like the Ghost 7 myself. I require a neutral shoe for over- and under-pronation. Neutrals keep me balanced. I agree with the above posters that you should definitely speak with a running shoe expert. If there's a particular shop you can get these shoes from, go there and try them on. The wrong type of shoe for your footfall and strike pattern can actually do you more damage.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Neither, Brooks really hurt my feet. I prefer other brands.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    There's no way anyone on this forum can tell you which of those, if any, you should wear.
  • Kate5283kate
    Kate5283kate Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I pronate, and have run in the Brooks GTS for, well, two decades. However, you need to get fitted at a running store, especially given that you have shin splint issues.
  • caseyb1910
    caseyb1910 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I definitely will go to a running store and get fitted.
  • theDonaldSouth
    theDonaldSouth Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely recommend a store that checks your gait. My latest is asics gel cumulus 16.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The Glycerin is a neutral shoe, while the Adrenaline is a support shoe...you do not want a support shoe if you are neutral or supinate. Conversely, if you pronate you don't want a neutral shoe. You should definitely go to a running store and have them get you on a treadmill and watch you run so they can determine which kind of shoe you need.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Like others have said go and get fitted. Speaking as someone that has worn both (Adrenaline when I was really over weight) and now glycerin (my stride is different since my weight loss) they are different shoes.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    And if you over pronate, get the Brooks Addiction.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Get whatever feels comfortable on your feet. Go by your feel over the salesperson's commentary, if they differ.

If neither pair feels good or right, it's not worth the discount, I promise.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I think she probably gets the point now.
  • caseyb1910
    caseyb1910 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I think she probably gets the point now.

Haha yes I got the point now ;) Still very appreciative of everyone's advice.