I'd like to start lifting...

Options
If like to start lifting, but I don't know where to begin. I've lost 85 pounds and I've got 30 ish to go but I crave the tone that comes with lifting. AND I'm tired of my daughter jiggling my belly because "it's fun ".

Replies

• RRB2000
    RRB2000 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You have to get the book "The New Rules of Weightlifting for Women." I wanted to start lifting as well, got the book, read it in 2 days and LOVED it. It was so helpful and some of the stuff I was already doing in the gym. Good luck!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Check out new rules of lifting for women.

Jamie Eason has a great trainer called "Live fit" on bodybuilding .com

FitnessRXwomen.com also has some great printable training routines.

Good luck! Lifting is what will really mold your body. Have fun and enjoy!
  • FitStrongHealthy
    FitStrongHealthy Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5 is a good program as well, plus they have an app.
    Strong Curves is also a good read.
    And of course there are thousands of Youtube videos out there that can help too.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Weightlifting for Women

If you go to a gym there should be a "women on weights" class that will give you some basics. The weight room itself may have a program as well, but they usually steer your towards the machines instead of weights. Use real weights. Do lifts that incorporate the "whole body". Ensure your form is completely correct before you start adding weight. If you're not sure if your form is good, ask.
  • happening5
    happening5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I go to the gym on a military bases no trainers but I'll look into books and duh, why didn't I think of YouTube.
  • DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The books and videos are really helpful, so use them. Also, it's been my experience that the really serious lifters at most gyms (not the ex-high school jocks that run in packs and spend most of their time flexing in front of the mirror) are pretty happy to help anyone who's trying to improve themselves no matter where they're starting from. So ask someone to spot you and check your form. You might even make a friend, which is a great way to make yourself more accountable at the gym!
  • SquatNSparkle
    SquatNSparkle Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I started new rules of lifting for women about 8 weeks ago. I like it. Almost done with phase 1. Seeing some gains...It's about a 6 month program then going to try stronglifts 5x5
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I like the New Rules book but could not be bothered with that program. I'd check out 5x5, especially if you're still in a deficit. Heavy, compound lifts. No fluff.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. I don't do the program (it wasn't fun to me), but there's a ton of great information.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. I don't do the program (it wasn't fun to me), but there's a ton of great information.

That's how I felt about it. Good read, but the program is not for me.
  • SquatNSparkle
    SquatNSparkle Posts: 477 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    hmmm maybe I need to switch to 5x5. NROL doesn't seem challenging enough. Is 5x5 more logical too???
  • arditarose
    Options
    hmmm maybe I need to switch to 5x5. NROL doesn't seem challenging enough. Is 5x5 more logical too???

Really easy to follow.
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Watching youtube videos is great. :) That's how I started! Heidi Somers and Nikki Blackketter usually post good workout videos, if you wanna follow them!
  • lupihalter
    lupihalter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Les mills bodypump!
    If the program isn't at your gym you can order the program! Great full body weight lifting!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I've done both Stronglifts 5x5 and NROLFW. I like SL because it was simple with just a few lifts to learn and is great when focusing on increasing strength. I like NROLFW right now because I stepped out of my comfort zone and learned a bunch of different lifts. I'm on Stage 4 currently, though I must admit I don't do the crunches and stuff cause got bored and I add a couple accessories like bench press and such. I do think I will use some of the lifts when I move on, however, cause I like some of them (like lat pull downs, some of the dumbbell work and even romanian deadlift, but not sure I'll do some of the one legged ones). But other lifts (YTWL, etc) I won't be doing after I get through Stage 7. The lifts are challenging based on what you do.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Here are the strong lifts 5x5 videos to get you started. Go in with a plan, and make sure that plan progresses in weights. I actually practiced the movements a few times with a broom handle before I did my first deadlift.

Workout A:
    https://youtu.be/EP2g3Sj3qSw

Workout B:
    https://youtu.be/ro3Mh9o7JPU
  • LinzNicholeV
    LinzNicholeV Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    lupihalter wrote: »
    Les mills bodypump!
    If the program isn't at your gym you can order the program! Great full body weight lifting!

I really loved doing Bodypump in the past, but is it sufficient for lifting or should someone do supplemental lifting as well? I've never done lifting outside of this class but I'm wanting to start.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I cannot recommend StrongLifts 5x5 enough.

Simple plan. 5 lifts. Two workouts. Easy to remember and follow.

The progressive loading will have you lifting HEAVY by the end of 12 weeks. You'll get stronger. You'll preserve muscle mass while cutting fat.

IMO, best starter program out there.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I didn't discover the actual stronglifts program until after I had kind of cobbled together my own minimalist program from other stuff on Youtube. I still have not really focused on the bench press... But if I could go back in time, I would start with it and only it. I agree with everyone above who is recommending it. It will change your life. And it is completely free.