strength training and making gains

Options
Ellst85
Ellst85 Posts: 30 Member
So I've been going to the gym and doing a few routines for about three months now- was all good at first but now I find I'm just not making any gains- can't get past 20kg on the bar for squats and dumbells have stalled at about 8,9, 10 kg depending on the movement. Kettle bell swings are with 20kg. Still can't do a single push up! Ha!
I'm wondering as I'm pretty anaemic, having an iron infusion in a few weeks because of blood loss and such low iron- could thay be something to do with it or do gains generally slow down that quickly?

Replies

• doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I looked through your diary, and... it was lacking :smile: But the two days with full entries, if somewhat representative is pretty bad protein wise. You need to eat, and you need to be more on point with protein to make gains. I don't know your stats, but try 1.5g protein/kg body weight. Also, making gains in deficit is super duper difficult. So try to get enough calories (maintenance at least).
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    need more info about your routine (set +reps for each exercise) but there are more ways of making gains that increasing the weight which won't be possible every week.

You can add an extra set to increase the total volume for example.

If you are always using the same rep ranges try alternating between different rep schemes.
  • Ellst85
    Options
    Thanks- I really really struggle with getting protein - I can't eat very much meat due to a bowel problem, I know about lentils, beans etc but belive me when I tell you I am the worst cook ever, I once cooked a dogs toenail into an omelette, so I find that difficult too, fish is really expensive. I'm totally into fat free natural yogurt but any other ways of getting protein (that arent from a shak, my stomach cant handle those either) would be great :-)
  • Ellst85
    Options
    And yes i know, I'm a pain in the *kitten*! That's why I just try and get my calories in rather than looking at other stuff, other wise I just freak out!
  • morowinder
    morowinder Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    How about nuts or peanut butter? They have lots of protein, healthy fat and are super dense in calories.
  • Ellst85
    Options
    Ah- got a nut allergy - have to carry an epi pen :/
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    How much of a deficit are you holding? Need energy for progressing.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Could you handle protein shakes ? There are many different kinds/brands out there that may help you increase your protein. Just a thought.
  • Ellst85
    Options
    I'm at about 1550 cala a day- however I would say I go over that on the weekend. I'm pretty slack with logging at the moment (which yeah isn't great) but I really don't think that being in deficit is an issue. If anything I'm really struggling with my appetite at the moment. I wonder if that's due to so much blood loss (or because I'm a greedy pig)
  • Ellst85
    Options
    clnrush wrote: »
    Could you handle protein shakes ? There are many different kinds/brands out there that may help you increase your protein. Just a thought.

Hi! I've thought about it and tried some organic raw ones with no dairy and well, let's just say they had a very strong laxative effect!

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Have you tried vegetable based ones? There are many varieties of protein available and will vary based on company and ingredients. I have a vegetable one right now (dairy allergy) that is okay and has 16 grams of protein per serving. There is also pea protein. Just have to look around for the right one. I tried Vega, which has more minerals and such but didn't like the mineral taste that came with it.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There is protein in a lot of things, but the trouble is that you have to eat a lot of it to get to the proper amounts. (Which is why I rely on protein oatmeal.)

Tuna, cottage cheese, quorn, tofu, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, soy milk, seitan, soy meats, greek yogurt, fresh soybeans, peas, spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts, quinoa, tempeh, chick peas, hemp, rice, chia seeds, kale, potatoes.