Feeling Accomplished

Options
Hello.

So, I have never posted anything on here before, but I frequently come and read posts when I'm in need of motivation.

I have a long way to go in my weight-loss journey. My long-term goal is to lose approximately 150lbs. I made some progress for a while, then lost motivation and gained the weight back (and then some). So this is about my hundredth attempt.

I have recently started the Zombies, Run! 5k Trainer. I chose this particular app because it starts you off very slow (only 15 second slow runs at a time), and it tells you a story as you go. I have tried C25K and other apps in the past, and got bored very quickly. I have completed The Walk, which is an app by the same creator of the Zombie’s Run app, and it motivated me to walk more because I wanted to know what happened next in the story.

So I decided to give Zombies, Run! 5k a shot, because I really would like to be able to consider myself a runner someday. Today was only Day 1 of Week 2, so I’m still quite far away from being able to run an entire 5k. Today, the run period increased to 30-second intervals. However, at the end of the workout, there is a 10-minute free style, in which you can choose to run as much as you want, or walk the entire 10 minutes. During week 1, I walked the entire 10 minutes. Today, I decided to set a goal to run (still slowly – 4.5mph) for a full minute. I have not done that since at least high school, so I was telling myself that it was ok if I didn’t make it, that it only mattered that I tried. Well, 15 years later… I did it.

I really did not think I was going to be able to complete it when I decided to try. I had a freaking condolence speech in my head before I even got to the 10-minute free period, because I had already decided that I probably would not make the entire minute. But I did.

I was so happy that I was able to do a full minute, I got a little teary-eyed. A friend encouraged me to share this on Facebook, but I’m more comfortable with sharing here, among strangers. Here, it won’t hurt my feelings if the right person doesn’t comment, or I don’t get enough likes. And, if this story is even slightly motivating to someone else struggling with the same thoughts I have been, then it’s worth it.

The point of my story: it doesn’t matter how small the goal is, or if people in your life tell you it isn’t enough. Ignore the voice in your head consoling you for not making it before you even try. Just try. You may surprise yourself as much as I have this morning.

Good luck.

Replies

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    This is fabulous! :smile: Congratulations on doing your own thing and finding what works for you. I'm so happy you posted here instead of on FB because honesty you'd never get the amazing responses you'll get here and on here you're going to be an inspiration to so many others.
  • zanna2035
    zanna2035 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :) Thank you, Dawn.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Posting on here was a great choice because not everyone on FB cares about fitness. I am currently on week 2 of C25K So I totally get you. (I've been trying to do it forever but get bored in the second week. I may have to try the zombies one.)
  • _dflow
    _dflow Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You go girl! That is awesome! I'm gonna have to download that app :)
  • zanna2035
    zanna2035 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you both! I'm really liking the Zombies one, and I really enjoyed The Walk as well. With that one, by the end of it, you have walked the equivalent of walking across the entire UK. It took me months, but it was a pretty good story!