What is a safe sugar alternative ?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I tried xylitol but the "side" effects weren't nice...it's suppose to be all natural...looks like sugar, tastes like sugar...now I just use sugar.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you use it for.

I like to use stevia (the leaf) in my tea. Makes sense to me, it's natural and it steeps with the tea.
    I don't like baking with sugar substitute. I haven't found anything that work for me.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Donnah781 wrote: »
    hi everyone,
    I've always been very weary about sugar substitutes. I have always used poor sugar.
    I need to cut way down on sugar.
    I have been doing some research on FDA approved sugar substitutes.
    Do you have a specific one that you love and that is safe from developing cancer and other health issues from using it.
    Thank you in advance,
    DONNA :-)

In all honesty, you're best off with sugar.

While there isn't any proof that sugar replacements cause cancer, it has been proven to cause your body to crave sweeter things which can lead to weight gain through over-eating (Here's one study, though there's many more that agree). Personally, I can't really handle any of the replacements as they give me crazy migraines.

While added sugar isn't great for you, if you're not using much, there's really no harm in it. A teaspoon of sugar is 15 calories. If you think that sugar is too processed, buy or grow sugar cane. Completely natural.
  • lesliewalker108
    lesliewalker108 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    OMG! STAY AWAY. I didn't realize until about November last year that everytime I use artificial sugars splendler , equal, aspartame etc. I would get to a point where I couldn't see and would have these squiggly lines and bright lights would make me dizzy and a terrible headache. And also sometimes I didnt even realize I was eating it. SO BEWARE AND STICK WITH REGULAR SUGAR EVEN THOUGH ITS NOT GOOD FOR YOU , ITS BETTER THEN ARTIFICIAL.
    So what I do is buy the organic sugar from trader joe's etc instead.
  • greenfield292
    greenfield292 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use truvia
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical issue that requires you to reduce sugars in your diet? For weight loss only, calories are what are important not how much sugar you eat.
    If I were you, I would look at your food diary and see where most of the sugar is coming from. You might just make a simple change without needing to use sugar substitutes. Maybe reducing the consumption of sweetened drinks, pre-made foods or baked goods in your diet is a better plan. Try that for a month or two and I bet you won't even want as much sugar.

If you look on the internet almost everything causes cancer. That doesn't necessarily mean the item or activity is dangerous for everyone at all levels.
    I avoid sugar substitutes because I get headaches when I consume them and I think they taste weird. I'd rather not have headaches. I just use regular sugar or honey.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    OMG! STAY AWAY. I didn't realize until about November last year that everytime I use artificial sugars splendler , equal, aspartame etc. I would get to a point where I couldn't see and would have these squiggly lines and bright lights would make me dizzy and a terrible headache. And also sometimes I didnt even realize I was eating it. SO BEWARE AND STICK WITH REGULAR SUGAR EVEN THOUGH ITS NOT GOOD FOR YOU , ITS BETTER THEN ARTIFICIAL.
    So what I do is buy the organic sugar from trader joe's etc instead.

That does not mean that artificial sweeteners are bad for all people.

It just means that they are a migraine trigger for you. Not all people have migraine disease.

I have terrible migraines, but sweeteners aren't a trigger for me.

I prefer Splenda.

• callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I tried xylitol but the "side" effects weren't nice...it's suppose to be all natural...looks like sugar, tastes like sugar...now I just use sugar.

What were some of the side effects of Xylitol that you experienced?

I'll use real sugar, but in moderation. I like Sugar in the Raw or honey.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohols (including xylitol) cause gastrointestinal issues in some people.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are to reduce your consumption of sugar and substitutes worry you, I suggest you learn to enjoy foods without any added sugar. Try muffins sweetened with apple sauce, plain cereals with dried fruit.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    By the way, to get around the FDA stringent approval processes for sugar subtitutes, Stevia is marketed as a food supplement. It has not been tested as extensively as the others. So it's long term effects is unknown.
  • Donnah781
    Donnah781 Posts: 37 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    wow, thank you everyone for the fast replies. I've cut way down on sugar for example... 4 teaspoons in my ice coffee to 1 teaspoon, that's pretty good i'd say :)
    was just curious to what everyone uses.
    I've never used artificial always real sugar.
    i tried raw sugar that wasn't too bad. that doesn't have dyes and chemicals. maybe i can try to use that in the future instead of regular sugar or pure honey.
    some great responses thank you again so much for helping me out.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I happily use Splenda, Stevia, and Aspartame. No tumors so far.

Any particular reason you need to dramatically cut down on your sugar consumption?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Crystalline sugar doesn't have any dyes or chemicals either.
  • cjazz72
    cjazz72 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    a good sugar replace I found was Coconut Palm Sugar. I found that it helped me sort of not have as many sugar crashes since its not fully processed. So I would recommend that and also just to ween off sugar each day. So rather than 3 teaspoons of sugar in your coffee go with 1 teaspoon. Just do it slowly until you can manage the 45 grams or 9 teaspoons a day ADA recommendation. I also found using coconut oil has helped regulate my blood sugar some.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Don't use artificial it's gross. Made by chemical manufacturers, some of whom made Agent Orange. Couldn't get their stuff approved for years until they got their own employees working in the regulatory agencies - seriously, why eat something that was made by the same manufacturers of war-time chemical weapons? Stevia is fine.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use stevia most of the time. Tastes great and is natural.

I use xylitol to bake...taste exactly like sugar. I have never had any side effects, though some people do.
  • Donnah781
    Donnah781 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was border line diabetic on my blood work. For my health i really want to try and cut it down. it runs on both sides of my family so i'm trying to catch it before it gets worse.