Sore muscles?!?!

Options
I did a pretty intense workout a couple days ago but my legs are so sore to the point where I can barely walk. Anyone have any tips for getting this to go away or to prevent it next time?

Replies

• Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If You Keep It Up, It Won't Be So Bad Next Time.. Soreness Is Always Going To Be Present In Some Way .. Stretching Afterwards Helps !
  • hiaaitsmegan2
    hiaaitsmegan2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try some yoga today maybe that will help. It's a good thing to feel it because I know I'm doing something right but I feel like a 80 year old man when I walk lol
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Go for a long walk best way to get that soreness out
  • hiaaitsmegan2
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Would a muscle relaxer help? Like an aleeve? And do I wait till the soreness goes away till I work out my lower body again? And how long before it goes away?
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You earned that pain, why would you want to diminish it? That's the good kind!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I agree that it will get better with time and consistency, and definitely stretching, both before and after your workout, can help reduce soreness.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Would a muscle relaxer help? Like an aleeve? And do I wait till the soreness goes away till I work out my lower body again? And how long before it goes away?

I have been sore for close to five days. One time was over a week and never took any medication for it. I don't understand why you would when weight training.

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options

If you wait for it to go away it will just come back anyway. Stay consistent and it won't be so bad. I have found that continuing to workout does help the soreness believe it or not. Also making sure you are hydrated I have found to help me as well plus stretching afterwards helps as well.

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    The best way to minimize that pain is to exercise those muscles again before you reach Day 2 SuperDOMS. I'd suggest going ahead with your workouts, as scheduled. The worst thing you can do is follow leg day with several days of ignoring those muscles, because that's likely to make the soreness worse.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    It sounds counter-intuitive, but when my legs were sore from strength training, a short jog/run helped.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Your just waking up muscles you forgot about so there just letting you know they are there the burn is awesome every lifter good after
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    There's Studies That Pain Killers Like Aleeve Will Actually Inhibit Muscle Growth.. I Avoid Them As Much As Possible Myself.. Give It A Day Or Two Than Get Back At It!
  • hiaaitsmegan2
    Options
    Lol it's nice to know that I worked my muscles and I can actually feel the results but I look like a fool trying to walk and it feels weird like my muscles are stretching every time I take a step.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Keep working out. Exercise actually helps the soreness go away. If it's so uncomfortable it's interfering with regular activities, it's totally fine to take some ibuprofen or whatever OTC pain reliever you like. Stick with your workout routine and the soreness will gradually get less and less. You'll reach a point where you really don't get sore anymore.
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This happens to me after a certain lower body routine I have done... and because of that I plan to use it a lot more! I find, at first, the only time the soreness actually goes away is when I am active -- maybe the muscles warm up/loosen up.
  • hiaaitsmegan2
    Options
    Today is my lower body workout again but I'm thinking of switching it with tomorrow's yoga because idk if I would be able to make through it. And I might throw in a ab workout as well because they are also sore.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Today is my lower body workout again but I'm thinking of switching it with tomorrow's yoga because idk if I would be able to make through it. And I might throw in a ab workout as well because they are also sore.

I bet you could make it through, as soon as you get over the start and begin to warm up. :)
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ...And do I wait till the soreness goes away till I work out my lower body again? And how long before it goes away?
    No, don't wait. It will gradually not be as bad but I will say my legs and glutes have been "sore" for nearly 2 years of squatting 3 times a week. Eventually it's a "good sore".

• hiaaitsmegan2
    Options
    I'm gonna try and push through it!
  • brittjrogg
    brittjrogg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I get sore muscles I always take an Epsom salt bath and relax in it for about 20 minutes or so. That helps tone down some of the soreness feeling.