eating 800 calories one day 1200 calories the next

Options
I'm trying to eat around 800 one day and 1200 the following then following this every other day diet for the next few weeks just to jumpstart my weight loss, I've lost 10 lbs since march since then I've mostly been measuring myself I've lost 9 inches total since then, I do 20 minutes of cardio (elliptical) 5 days a week along with 20 minutes of strength training on top of a 15 minute run with my dog, cleaning and cooking and raising a little girl. Any tips or advice on this are welcome. I have a wedding june 5yh and I'd like to be confident in my dress which already fits, I couldn't zip it up in march but I still need a boost.

thanks!

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Tips - a really, really bad idea unless you're really....really small.
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Never go under 1200
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    how does jumpstarting weight loss work?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My advise is that you should eat enough calories to meet your nutritional needs and fuel your workouts while still maintaining a calorie deficit. Unless you're very tiny, it doesn't sound like 800 one day and 1,200 the next would be enough.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Any tips or advice on this are welcome.

Immediately cease this ridiculousness and educate yourself on a much healthier and sustainable way to lose weight.

• donohoeshaunap
    donohoeshaunap Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i'm not small by any means, I'm 5'3 36 inch chest 33 inch waist and 41 inch hips.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    1. You do not need to jump-start your weight loss. Eating at a caloric deficit should result in weight loss, as you have already seen.
    2. You're averaging 1000 calories which is too low. Depending on when you started this nonsense, you could have a raggedy broken manicure at this wedding.
    3. Eat 1200 + half of your exercise calories at a minimum. Keep up the strength training and maybe add lifting to the routine. Check out programs like NROL4W.
    4. Your dress already fits and your family needs an energetic and non-irritable mom. So feed yourself adequately.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat around 800 one day and 1200 the following then following this every other day diet for the next few weeks just to jumpstart my weight loss, I've lost 10 lbs since march since then I've mostly been measuring myself I've lost 9 inches total since then, I do 20 minutes of cardio (elliptical) 5 days a week along with 20 minutes of strength training on top of a 15 minute run with my dog, cleaning and cooking and raising a little girl. Any tips or advice on this are welcome. I have a wedding june 5yh and I'd like to be confident in my dress which already fits, I couldn't zip it up in march but I still need a boost.

thanks!

It sounds like a distorted idea of alternate day intermittent fasting, which is the plan I used for my weight loss phase. I alternated between low calorie days (under 500 calories), but then every other day I ate at around maintenance calorie levels. Doing a low day and then a semi-low day is not a good idea, you need the higher calorie days mixed in to prevent all sorts of issues.

• Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    . Any tips or advice on this are welcome.

800 calories per day will not sustain all this activity
    I do 20 minutes of cardio (elliptical) 5 days a week along with 20 minutes of strength training on top of a 15 minute run with my dog, cleaning and cooking and raising a little girl.

even 1200 per day is incredibly low with that much activity daily. This is really not a good idea

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    2857680769aed47ae6331af9f4bf7629.gif
    1. You do not need to jump-start your weight loss. Eating at a caloric deficit should result in weight loss, as you have already seen.
    2. You're averaging 1000 calories which is too low. Depending on when you started this nonsense, you could have a raggedy broken manicure at this wedding.
    3. Eat 1200 + half of your exercise calories at a minimum. Keep up the strength training and maybe add lifting to the routine. Check out programs like NROL4W.
    4. Your dress already fits and your family needs an energetic and non-irritable mom. So feed yourself adequately.

And also this.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you only have 3 weeks left. If the dress already fits and is just a little tight, go to a normal deficit (like you would if there were no wedding to lose weight reasonably) then just take a water pill the day before the wedding. A temp decrease in water weight will mimic the bad results you will get with your current plan, without the longer term effects.

Better yet - have a seamstress let the dress out slightly. Absolutely no one but you will know the difference between these two options!

Either way, just have fun - unless its your wedding, you are not the one people will be looking at anyway (nor should you attempt to be the center of attention on their day). So enjoy the fellowship regardless of whether that 5 pounds shows up with you. At least you will have the energy to dance and have fun, instead of being pale and tired from not eating.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    1200 is already a fairly high deficit for someone your size. 800 is too low. Even if you were doing "intermittent fasting" (which I'm not a fan of), on the non-fast day you're supposed to eat your maintenance calories, not at a deficit. So if you were to eat 800 one day, on the non-fast day, you should be eating your maintenance calories, which with your activity level is probably much more than 1200. Even my maintenance is more than that, and I'm 5 inches shorter and half your age.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    did you jump start your weight gain by eating 10000 calories one day then 7500 the next?....

Nope...so why would you think this would work?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Way to go you if you want to starve yourself into weight loss. You will not be getting the nutrition you need and unless you are under medical supervision, then you should stick to the1200 min. If you don want to do things healthily, then carry on.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what reason you have to explain how this would 'jumpstart' your weight loss? Why not just go full ana right away if that's your plan? What are you teaching your little girl about valuing appearance over health?
  • donohoeshaunap
    donohoeshaunap Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't think how I raise my child is any of your business nor do I have to justify you with a response, it was something I was going to do up until I had to wear my dress not a life long choice. I have taken everyone's advice and will just continue with my 1200, but this thread isn't about attacking people or getting on a high horse. I'm sure that attitude serves you well daily.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Well, I think that if you ask for advice from a bunch of strangers on a message board, people are going to give it to you whether you like what they say or not.

"I have taken everyone's advice and will just continue with my 1200". That's actually not taking their advice whatsoever. When you take someone's advice, you do what they advise you to do, which is exactly *not* what you're doing.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Stop picking arbitrary numbers for calorie goals. 800, 1000, 1200 are all random. It's TDEE minus anywhere from 250 to 1000 on average, depending on your size and amount to lose. People aren't going to give you tips how to lose more quickly in two weeks if it's unhealthy. It sounds like your mind is made up, so why ask?