How to keep myself motivated for a long time ?

Options
Any tips please ?

Replies

• StereophoneyGaz
    StereophoneyGaz Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I used to put a pic of me at my heaviest as a screensaver on my phone, just take a glance at it when you doubt yourself ;)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    my best advice about motivation is its unreliable, so stop relying on motivation to keep you going. somedays you will just have to do what needs to be done. as much as i hate quoting nike, they really did it get right, just do it.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Any tips please ?

Honestly just enjoy the lifestyle...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Any tips please ?

I like this... Do this...

It is for a lifetime isn't it?
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    my best advice about motivation is its unreliable, so stop relying on motivation to keep you going. somedays you will just have to do what needs to be done. as much as i hate quoting nike, they really did it get right, just do it.

This.

Sometimes you will feel like you don't want to do it because
    a) it's raining
    b) it's too hot
    c) it's too cold
    d) it's the TOM
    e) XYZ is on TV
    f) You've got a cold
    g) You think you've pulled a muscle
    h) Something you've eaten doesn't agree with you completely
    i) It's too early
    j) it's too late
    k) You don't want people to see you
    l) You see results and think you've got this without exercise
    m) You don't get the results you're expecting so stop
    n) You're GAINING weight (shock horror!) so you stop - even though it's probably lean mass!
    o) You can't think of what to wear to work out
    p) You are bored of running the same route
    q) It's a family day
    r) Your dog is ill
    s) It's Sunday
    t) You are lacking motivation and you don't know why - assume there's something seriously wrong with you
    u) You are aching from DOMS
    v) You're not aching from DOMS so want to enjoy it whilst it lasts
    w) You've got a date
    x) You've not got time because of X/Y/Z/etc
    y) You can't afford to go to the gym
    z) You woke up late so couldn't go workout early (a.k.a. You love sleep too much)

There are more excuses not to do something than there are to do something.

The reason excuses exist is to rationalize something that otherwise would be unacceptable.

You either want to, or you don't. No amount of motivating will make you do it when you really don't want to - that's something you have to find deep inside yourself. Everyone has it - that little thought in their head that cons them into believing "I'll just set off and do a short run" and end up doing miles once they get out the door...

...It's called determination. Find it, embrace it, cherish it, give it more to go after.

Whenever you think you can't do something for X Y Z reason, just ask yourself: "Is it can't? Or won't and i'm hiding behind can't?"

99/100 times can't is simply won't but you're trying to rationalize it.

Get it done, keep on keeping on.

Consistency will get you where you need to be. Be consistently determined. Every time you do something where you would otherwise have tried to not? It's a success.

*gets down off soapbox*
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Get a scale
    Use scale
    Plan out your meals, B/L/D and have snacks you LIKE and can portion easily. Don't just go for healthy snacks, get some "bad" stuff in there too if you like it. One serving of cheese puffs is quite satisfying. And only 150 calories.
    Use smaller plates and bowls.
    Log everything and be accurate in your logs.
    Don't over estimate the intensity of your workouts, then you can eat back a bigger percentage of your exercise calories.
  • Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have two different answers. I prefer #1.

1. Use the same motivation you use to get up and go to work.

2. Make it an enjoyable or at least doable lifestyle change.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Set goals.
    Meet goals.
    Set new goals.
    Rinse and repeat.
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If it's not something you think you can stick to, don't do it.

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure." -Colin Powell
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Find an active hobby.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Any tips please ?

Motivation, willpower and resolution are words we use to justify failure. They are weak and so many people fail that it justifies us falling short ourselves.

Instead, consider the word, commitment. When you make a commitment to someone you care about, you keep it. You don’t cheat. You show up when and where you say you’re going to show. Commitments are life long and real because they become a part of us and we announce them to the world (e.g., wedding ring, baptism, etc.).

If you really want this, then commit. You’ll be motivated. You’ll follow through.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Find an active hobby.

This is what worked for me. I load up my bike and go cycling on different trails.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Shadowsan that was quite the list there, well done!

@theunicornhoe I'd sum up @Shadowsan 's list with my own quip:

Stop Buying Your Own BS.

So...
    Shadowsan wrote: »
    Get it done, keep on keeping on.

And...

In summary:
    1. No excuses, stop buying your own BS; get it done.
    2. Enjoy the lifestyle; who wouldn't enjoy being healthy and in shape, able to leap tall buildings?
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Everything they said is right on point - plus find some way to be held accountable. Not just by MFP friends that you don't know - share your goals with friends or family, post on your Facebook or Instagram that you're going after this. I feel that if I announce it to someone else, I have to prove to them I can do it. Whether they call me out on it or not (which I highly recommend finding a friend who will!) I don't want to be caught or have to say I failed. No. You will not fail, you WILL reach your goal. You've got this.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,886 Member
    Options
    Any tips please ?

Cycling (bicycle riding) is what I do.
    It's what I've done regularly for 25 years ... celebrated 25 years on April 29.
    I grew up in a cycling household and dabbled in it for a couple decades before that.

Only once in those 25 years did I struggle with motivation ... I was recovering from quite a serious case of DVT (deep vein thrombosis), and then my favourite bicycle was stolen. I was shattered. It took me months before I started to get back into it again. But I did and I'm still cycling.

So the tip is this: find an activity you really enjoy ... something you're reasonable good at ... something you feel comfortable doing ... something you look forward to doing.

This might take trying many different activities to see if there's one that clicks. Or maybe you'll just automatically move to the right one.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    lindsayh87 wrote: »
    Everything they said is right on point - plus find some way to be held accountable. Not just by MFP friends that you don't know - share your goals with friends or family, post on your Facebook or Instagram that you're going after this. I feel that if I announce it to someone else, I have to prove to them I can do it.

YES YES YES!

I started posting my running totals on Facebook long enough to establish a pattern. I wanted people to know what I was aiming for. That's a powerful motivator for me - living up to expectations.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Direct your own life. Eat, drink and breathe your desire. Be it now. Stay focused.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Find something that you enjoy, or at least enjoy the results of. You may not enjoy your job but you like the results ($$$ in the bank), right? If you also like your job then that's just icing on the cake.

That's pretty much the most critical aspect for long-term success, IMO.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Shadowsan wrote: »
    besaro wrote: »

This.

Sometimes you will feel like you don't want to do it because
    a) it's raining
    b) it's too hot
    c) it's too cold
    d) it's the TOM
    e) XYZ is on TV
    f) You've got a cold
    g) You think you've pulled a muscle
    h) Something you've eaten doesn't agree with you completely
    i) It's too early
    j) it's too late
    k) You don't want people to see you
    l) You see results and think you've got this without exercise
    m) You don't get the results you're expecting so stop
    n) You're GAINING weight (shock horror!) so you stop - even though it's probably lean mass!
    o) You can't think of what to wear to work out
    p) You are bored of running the same route
    q) It's a family day
    r) Your dog is ill
    s) It's Sunday
    t) You are lacking motivation and you don't know why - assume there's something seriously wrong with you
    u) You are aching from DOMS
    v) You're not aching from DOMS so want to enjoy it whilst it lasts
    w) You've got a date
    x) You've not got time because of X/Y/Z/etc
    y) You can't afford to go to the gym
    z) You woke up late so couldn't go workout early (a.k.a. You love sleep too much)

Bolded are not excuses, you should listen to your body. Definitely stop if you think you pulled a muscle. Don't work out if you're sick or want to puke. (For DOMS do extremely cardio like easy swimming or walking.)
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Any tips please ?

Motivation, willpower and resolution are words we use to justify failure. They are weak and so many people fail that it justifies us falling short ourselves.

Instead, consider the word, commitment. When you make a commitment to someone you care about, you keep it. You don’t cheat. You show up when and where you say you’re going to show. Commitments are life long and real because they become a part of us and we announce them to the world (e.g., wedding ring, baptism, etc.).

If you really want this, then commit. You’ll be motivated. You’ll follow through.
    Words to live by in so many ways. You have a unique way of cutting to the chase.