Guacamole?!

Options
2»

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Avocado, hot chunky salsa, lemon, salt, garlic powder if the salsa isn't garlicky enough. I will accept it with lime instead of lemon, but absolutely never with cilantro.
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I get lots of compliments on my guac recipe. Avocado, plenty of lime juice, cilantro, grated onion (I use a microplane grater so you get a mild onion flavor without the strong punch from biting into a chunk of onion), salt, cumin (not too much), dried cayenne. I also love to mix in halved or quartered grape tomatoes because they add volume & texture and the sweetness really sets off the flavors.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Avocado, copious amounts of super-soapy tasting cilantro, lime juice, raw garlic and onion, habanero, tomato, salt and pepper.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    seriously. I cheat. salsa, avocado, lime, salt and pepper,garlic powder and cilantro.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Chef here... And I was inspired to be one by the flavors and culture of Authentic Mexican cuisine.

Great Guacamole doesn't happen by chopping ingredients, throwing them into a bowl, and wishing for the best. You must build the flavors. Fresh, vibrant, succulent flavors... not processed, powdered, shortcut flavors.

Ingredients:

3 Haas avocados (black skin, semi-soft to touch, not too hard or soft)
    1/2 medium chopped white onion (not yellow, red, sweet, Vidalia, etc.)
    1/2 cup cilantro leaves (loosely packed and then minced very finely)
    1 very finely minced orange habanero or green serrano chile (jalapenos are far too mild)
    1 plum tomato
    1 lime
    Kosher salt

Procedure:

1) Using a mortar and pestle (http://guacamole-recipe.net/files/2011/01/molcajete-mortar-pestle.jpg), mash the following ingredients to an Emerald colored paste: 1 heaping tbsp. chopped white onion, 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves, 1 tsp. kosher salt, and very finely minced chiles (1/2 habanero or 1 whole serrano). You can keep the seeds. They won't harm you.

2) Chop tomato into 2-3 cm pieces, while removing & discarding the juice and seeds. Lightly season tomato with salt and set aside.

3) Slice the avocados in half lengthwise. Hack your knife into the seed, pry out, remove and discard. Slice the avocado while in the shell into cross sections. Scoop out with a large spoon into a large bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lime over the avocado.

4) Add the chile paste mixture in step 1 to the avocado. Mash lightly with a cheap, handheld potato masher to combine the ingredients. Do not overmash into a toothpaste texture; you want some chunks.

5) Correct seasoning by adding more kosher salt or more lime juice, to taste. Garnish with the chopped tomato, extra onion, cilantro, and chile if desired.

It should look like this:

http://www.appforhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/guacamole.jpg

wrong.
  • frootbabe
    frootbabe Posts: 10 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't measure, but I use avocado, fresh lime juice, cilantro, minced garlic, chopped onion, jalapeño, salt and optional tomato! It's how my family has always made it :)
  • kristenonly
    kristenonly Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Recipe

Pico de Gallo and Guacamole
    Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: Difficulty: Easy Servings: 8
    Print Recipe

Ingredients
    ◾ FOR THE PICO DE GALLO:
    ◾5 whole Plum (roma) Tomatoes
    ◾1/2 whole Large (or 1 Small) Onion
    ◾3 whole Jalapeno Peppers
    ◾ Cilantro
    ◾ Lime Juice
    ◾ Salt To Taste
    ◾ _____
    ◾ FOR THE GUACAMOLE:
    ◾3 whole Avocados
    ◾ Pico De Gallo
    ◾ Lime Juice
    ◾ Salt To Taste

Preparation Instructions

Pico de Gallo:
    Chop jalapenos, tomatoes and onions into a very small dice. (Leave seeds in your jalapenos for a hotter pico). Adjust amount of jalapenos to your preferred temperature. Next, chop up a nice-sized bunch of cilantro. Just remove and discard the long leafless stems before chopping. No need to remove the leaves from the stems completely. Place all of these ingredients together in a bowl and give it a good stir.

Squeeze the juice of half of one lime into the bowl. Add salt to taste and stir again.

Guacamole:
    Start with buttery-soft avocados. Halve them lengthwise and remove the pits. Next, with a spoon scrape the “meat” out onto a large plate. Next, with the bottom of a clean cup (or with a fork) mash the avocados, making sure to leave it relatively chunky. Add just a couple of shakes of salt to taste. Next, add a generous helping of Pico de Gallo. Fold together. Lastly squeeze the juice of half of a lime over the top. Give it one last stir.

I add sour cream to mine...because I love it...and I add it to anything I can.

• silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Avocado, tomatoes, salt, lime juice. Maybe some cilantro. Anything else is too much.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    kdiamond wrote: »
    Try the Trader Joe's guiltless guac made with Greek yogurt. It's substantially less calories and very yummy and all natural!

That sounds really good - I will try making that.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    i recently tried baking them with eggs in them... pretty good
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Chef here... And I was inspired to be one by the flavors and culture of Authentic Mexican cuisine.

Great Guacamole doesn't happen by chopping ingredients, throwing them into a bowl, and wishing for the best. You must build the flavors. Fresh, vibrant, succulent flavors... not processed, powdered, shortcut flavors.

Ingredients:

3 Haas avocados (black skin, semi-soft to touch, not too hard or soft)
    1/2 medium chopped white onion (not yellow, red, sweet, Vidalia, etc.)
    1/2 cup cilantro leaves (loosely packed and then minced very finely)
    1 very finely minced orange habanero or green serrano chile (jalapenos are far too mild)
    1 plum tomato
    1 lime
    Kosher salt

Procedure:

1) Using a mortar and pestle (http://guacamole-recipe.net/files/2011/01/molcajete-mortar-pestle.jpg), mash the following ingredients to an Emerald colored paste: 1 heaping tbsp. chopped white onion, 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves, 1 tsp. kosher salt, and very finely minced chiles (1/2 habanero or 1 whole serrano). You can keep the seeds. They won't harm you.

2) Chop tomato into 2-3 cm pieces, while removing & discarding the juice and seeds. Lightly season tomato with salt and set aside.

3) Slice the avocados in half lengthwise. Hack your knife into the seed, pry out, remove and discard. Slice the avocado while in the shell into cross sections. Scoop out with a large spoon into a large bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lime over the avocado.

4) Add the chile paste mixture in step 1 to the avocado. Mash lightly with a cheap, handheld potato masher to combine the ingredients. Do not overmash into a toothpaste texture; you want some chunks.

5) Correct seasoning by adding more kosher salt or more lime juice, to taste. Garnish with the chopped tomato, extra onion, cilantro, and chile if desired.

It should look like this:

http://www.appforhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/guacamole.jpg

wrong.

Come at me, bro... you have no idea.

3gjk5rr92t7q.jpg

• JustinAnimal
    Options
    still wrong.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lol you are just instigating now...

comeatmebro.gif
  • tarabeara18
    tarabeara18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    Favorite way to prepare it? GO!!! :)

What I do s super simple and I love actually being able to taste the lime instead of it just being used to keep the guac from turning brown. Mush up a few avocados with a fork to your liking, add a hint of salt (or salt substitute ), add lime to your liking, and a hint of garlic powder. It's the perfect light recipe and if you like it the American way with chunks of onion and tomatoe you can add that too:)
  • tarabeara18
    tarabeara18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What I do s super simple and I love actually being able to taste the lime instead of it just being used to keep the guac from turning brown. Mush up a few avocados with a fork to your liking, add a hint of salt (or salt substitute ), add lime to your liking, and a hint of garlic powder. It's the perfect light recipe and if you like it the American way with chunks of onion and tomatoe you can add that too:)